“Meets all basic needs”

Super 8 San Bruno /SF Intl Arpt West
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 23, 2011

After a long flight from east coast we settled for one night at this comfortable motel a couple of miles from the San Francisco airport. The reception was very courteous for such a late night check in and everything worked as it should. The value was terrific (price, proximity to SFO, breakfast, wi-fi, ample space, etc.) It was a fitting start to a two week holiday in the Bay area.

Room Tip: ask the manager for a quiet corner room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,209)

Reviewed April 20, 2011

DO NOT USE THE PARK AND RIDE SERVICE! Fool me once shame on you - fool me twice shame on me. I used the park and ride service a few months ago because the price looked good. The hotel stay was fine, and everything seemed to be going well after returning from our trip - after landing at the airport, we called the Super 8 Motel and were told the shuttle would arrive in 15 - 20 minutes. 30 minutes later we called again, we were told 10 more minutes. 20 minutes later they still did not come. We ended up taking a taxi back to the motel. The front desk fellow apologized and that was the end of it. Well, like I said, the price seemed good and the stay at the motel wasn't bad, so I tried it again last week. Arrived back from my trip at 10:00pm at the SFO airport, called the motel, was told 15 - 20 minutes...again...1 hour later...They did not pick me up!! Ended up having to take a taxi!! And again, I got the same canned apology from a different front desk clerk. (Do they practice this apology?) So...Bottom line...DO NOT USE THE PARK AND RIDE SERVICE!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank runscz12
super8sfo, General Manager at Super 8 San Bruno /SF Intl Arpt West, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2011

Dear Sir/Madam;

Thank you for your recent survey regarding your experience with our park and fly package. I do understand that you had to wait for a long time for the shuttle to pick you up. I am very sorry for the inconvenience that might have caused to you. We will try to do better next time.
Even though the shuttle service is outsourced, we want to make sure that your experience with us is nothing less than excellent.In order to give you best service I ask all the guest to follow the signs at the airport correctly and wait at the "Hotel Courtesy Shuttle" island on the departure level. The shuttle only runs on the departure level.Dial 51 from the courtesy phone on the hotel courtesy shuttle booth.Identify what terminal you are waiting on.This way we can expedite the shuttle to find you and be prompt.Look for the classic shuttle with the Super 8 logo on it.
Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed April 17, 2011

We stayed for 6 days while my daughter was looking for an apartment. The hotel manager
automatically upgraded our room to a suite type without our asking. He said "because you are staying this long I would like to make you more comfortable".

I thanked him many times and said I would come back again

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Stayed in the beginning of April on vacation. We were looking for a cheap, but nice place to stay close to san francisco- as that's the only reason we were there. This hotel had everything we needed. When we first got there, we got a room that smelled like smoke, but an immediate call to the office and they put us in another room that was very nice. Beds were comfortable and quiet. Hotel is only about 20 mins from san fran. Plenty of free parking and area felt safe. Room and bathroom were clean. Flat screen tv with cabel and free wi fi, also a coffee maker in room and refrigerator. Free breakfast with bagles, muffins, cereal, fruit, coffee, tea, milk and oj was very nice. Along the road there are lots of eating places for dinner or lunch. I think this hotel was a great choice, compared to the more expensive places to stay inside san fran and not have any parking, or pay for parking. all in all this super 8 was a great stay : )

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2011

The San Bruno Super 8 is one of a small flock of hotels vying to attract travelers from nearby S.F. International Airport. You're likely to hear the muted roar of ascending jets from your hotel room. I didn't find this noise objectionable; some might.

The hotel operates a free mini-shuttle to and from arrival and departure gates, and I saw it in front frequently while there. A front desk staffer told me it runs every half hour.

I have one reservation about this hotel, which I'll get to in a bit, but in every other respect, it does an adequate job of providing business travelers with about everything they'd likely want in a hotel room. Fridge? Check. Microwave? Check? Laundry room? Check. Ironing board and iron, so you don't wear a wrinkled shirt to the big meeting ? Check. Clean, decent-looking room, with functioning shower, sink, a bed that doesn't sag to the floor? Check.

The Super 8 seems to cover all the bases that competitors cover, and a few they don't. The laundry room, for instance. Many hotels don't have one.

Breakfast buffet? It barely warrants being called a buffet, but that's been as true of what I've sampled at other hotels. My guess is that corporate heads regularly check what their competitors offer, and are sure to offer just that much and no more. So, the Super 8 buffet is as 'barely adequate' as was the buffet I recently sampled at Days Inn Antioch.

I'm not complaining. I don't consider the buffet when selecting a hotel. If they offered the option of just skipping the buffet and saving a few bucks, well, I would. The fridge I want, so I can save money and not eat overpriced restaurant junk food. The in-house junk food buffet I can live without.

(What to put in the fridge? There are a Safeway and Trader Joe's a bit south on El Camino Real.)

The Super 8 gets a special attaboy from me because the mattresses have mattress encasements. Bravo, Super 8! Mattress encasements are the best passive preventive measure against bed bugs that I've read about, and simply can't be expensive when purchased in bulk by a major chain like Super 8. Spending a few bucks for the encasements shows they're serious about protecting their guests from loathsome pests. Huzzah, clap clap, whistle, stamping of feet ...

Staff was great, including cleaning staff.

Wifi was excellent.

The Super 8 is within walking distance of San Bruno Caltrain, but is not within walking distance of San Bruno BART. For out of towners: if S.F. is what you want to see, selecting a hotel within walking distance of BART may make things easier. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Now, my negative ... and it's a significant one for the occasionally picky yours truly, one that may make me skip this hotel in the future.

The walls.

They're not thick enough.

A couple stayed in the room next to mine on my last night at the Super 8. I know because I heard them talking. And I don't think they were talking that loudly.

They quieted down at about ten, but I don't want to hear ordinary conversation through the walls of a hotel. Blood-curdling screams of agony, sure. Ordinary conversation, no; the walls are supposed to be thicker than that.

I didn't hear anything like this at the other hotels I've reviewed at trip advisor. What if the couple hadn't gone to bed at ten? What if they'd chug-a-lugged a few and made a ruckus into the wee hours?

I would have had to listen to the ruckus along with them, and wouldn't have slept well, and would have regretted my hotel choice. And as I'm not confident I'll get a quiet couple as neighbors the next time I need a hotel near S.F., I'm likely to look for a hotel with thicker walls the next time I'm up there.

This probably isn't fixable. My guess is that the big chains buy up any hotel/motel properties that they think they can turn a profit on, and are stuck with whatever construction sturdiness they inherit in the process. This Super 8 lacks thick walls. I presume others are better.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2011

I have to say ... this was my first stop on a really long road trip -- I didn't spend a lot of time in my room because of my sight seeing.... but what a great place!!!! The room was nice and comfortable! Quiet....clean.....and the help was great too!! I will most definitely be back!

Thank you soo much!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 31, 2011

we chose this motel because of its location to the SF airport. Our room was furnished very well with a king bed, a desk, nice TV, and a small refrigerator and microwave. All this for a very reasonable price. The room was very clean and the king bed was just right -- not too firm, not too soft. the wireless internet was a nice amenity also. the staff were friendly and they made a point to be pleasant and helpful. great customer service! This was a really nice stay with a great value. We'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Days Inn San Francisco International Airport West
Vagabond Inn Executive SFO Airport
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airp...
#2 of 27 in South San Francisco
Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport WEST

Been to Super 8 San Bruno /SF Intl Arpt West? Share your experiences!