“Classy but not overpriced”

Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The hotel location is strategically located, SFO airport and BART are nearby. The room is well appointed with old European flair style fixtures and furnishings, and the very important the bed king sized most comfortable bed I slept in. The only thing I found deficient is the parking. If you check in late like I did, there was no parking space available. The caveat to close proximity to airport you can hear airplane noises but not too bad when you're very tired. The big comfy bed, fluffy pillows and luxuriant bedding can lull you to slumber in a jiffy.

Room Tip: Check in on time if you're traveling by car because of parking availability.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We normally stay at Embassy Suites Burlingame and decided to try something different for a change. Villa Montes is about a USD 13 taxi drive from SFO as they dont have a complimentary shuttle but are happy to arrange a taxi transfer for you and this would be complimentary if you know about it.
We had a 1 bedroom suite however there was no door to close this off from the lounge where our kids slept on the sofa sleeper. We were located next to the spa sauna room and there was a strong smell of chlorine in the hallway. The lounge in the room also smelt slighly damp in one corner.
Our bed was deliciously comfortable and good linens. Street was quiet outside even though its a main road, Friday night and Jay Z concert on same night. Concierge said it was safe to walk to Tanforan Shops at night if we wanted to go for a meal. We walked in 15 mins next day to catch BART into city.
Breakfast buffet is continental and our sons enjoyed making their own waffles. I had also read the reviews on Trip Advisor before booking the hotel and while it did not exceed expectation, it was fine for a night and very reasonably priced by comparison to other hotels offering a 1 bedroom suite option.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank angeliquevancamp
Reviewed July 23, 2013

So I'm baffled by the "blown away" reviews of this hotel. I had read the reviews after getting this hotel for a great price off of Hotwire (you get the hotel after your pay for a 'good' deal). I was excited after reading so many great reviews. Not so excited when I drove up to it and it was on such a busy thoroughfare, the hotel sign was missing two letters, and it was definitely in a sketchy part of town.

The lobby and interior was definitely better, but to me the vibe was almost skanky with the faux leopard fur blanket across the bed that I quickly threw off and the stains on the albeit pretty couch against the window. Ahem.

Pretty, but .....

There are better places.

Room Tip: Top floor away facing away from the exceptionally busy street
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Shel S
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had a very nice, comfortable stay. The access to freeway to get to San Francisco is very close - about 15 min easy drive. About 15 minutes from airport. The staff was the diamond here! Very courteous, helpful and friendly! Lobby area is very pretty and clean. Complimentary breakfast was a nice assortment of cereals, make your own waffle, fruits, yogurt, danish, juices, coffee and the like. Numerous restaurants within walking distance. Free parking under the facility, but I can see it is limited. We never had a problem parking there and we were there the Fourth of July through the weekend. Rooms are very clean and the beds were very comfortable. My wife and I really liked every aspect of our stay here. Would recommend it, and would stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on 2nd floor, right up from lobby, and it was quiet and convinient to breakfast and elevator...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Part of me doesn't want to leave a review for this boutique hotel, because the more people that know about the Villa Montes Hotel, the more difficult it'll be for me to get a room there in the future. We just returned from a week in San Francisco. A few months ago, when we were researching our trip, I realized that parking (a rental car) in San Francisco is very expensive, and many of the hotels in San Francisco charge excessively for parking. Additionally, whenever we travel, we always try to find a hotel with a mini-fridge, and if possible, a microwave. It allows us to take leftovers from a restaurant, or go to a nearby grocery store and buy beer, wine, snacks, etc.

After tiring flights and a big hassle at the rental car center, we NEEDED lunch at In-N-Out Burger (a mere 10 minute drive south of the hotel). In a mildly-improved post-lunch mood, we checked-in at the hotel. Tonya was working at the front desk, and she was very friendly and pleasant! She asked if we needed recommendations for places to eat, and when we told her we did, she gave us a list of 3 places she enjoys in San Francisco. She also suggested a small list of things to do. There is a small parking garage (easy to enter and exit from, keeps your car out of the sun, and the garage is impeccably clean) below the hotel, and the parking is free if you're staying at the hotel. There was never a problem finding parking, and we were there the week of July 4th. The elevator takes you from the parking garage right up to your hallway - it takes about 25 seconds to get from your car to your room, which is great when you're tired or carrying shopping bags.

The room itself is a mix of traditional and modern styling. Granite countertops, basin sink, granite floor and granite tub surround in the bathroom. They even provide a portable, 2-sided vanity mirror which my wife used to apply her make-up (it's better than leaning over the basin sink). All the complimentary toiletries they provide (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap, shower cap...I don't even remember - there were like a dozen little bottles of things) are from Bath & Body Works (which my wife appreciated more than I). There are 2 white, plush bathrobes hanging in the closet. The room is heated/cooled by a Mitsubishi ductless unit, mounted on the wall up near the ceiling (very out of the way and quiet). The unit is controlled by a remote control, which is awesome when your wife wakes you up in the middle of the night to turn the temperature down because she is warm...I had the remote on my nightstand and adjusted the temp with my eyes closed. Other amenities: flatscreen TV (with TV guide button), coffee maker, microwave, large-sized mini-fridge. I read many other reviews about the beds being amazingly comfortable, and we were not disappointed! The beds and pillows are wonderfully comfortable! We always looked forward to crawling in bed each night.

The whole hotel seems brand new! Even the windows (Jeld Wen) were excellent! We were on the 3rd floor overlooking El Camino Real (a pretty busy street), and our room was practically silent! And despite being only a few blocks from the airport, we heard NO airplanes! Additionally, the drapes were amazing at blocking the light. The sun shone brightly the entire week we were there, and with the drapes closed, it seemed like the middle of the night inside the room.

The hotel has a small lounge room off the main lobby, and offers a complimentary glass of wine each evening at 6:00pm. Unfortunately, we were never around in the evenings to enjoy our glasses of wine. They also have a soaking tub (it looks like a kiddie pool, no air jets/bubbles, but hot water nevertheless) on the 2nd floor, and a sauna - more things we planned on enjoying but never found the time. We did, however, take advantage of the continental breakfast each morning. They offer cereal, waffles, bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit, coffee, milk, orange juice, and cranberry juice. And if you need something a bit more substantial one morning, an IHOP is only two doors down. (We even ordered IHOP to go one morning, and ate in our room)

There is a Trader Joe's and a Safeway grocery store 5 minutes down the road (to get your beer and wine), and a huge dollar store just up the street (to get your $1 beer mug or wine glasses). The highway (380) is only a quarter-mile up the street from the hotel, and at night, when traffic isn't bad, I could get home from Fisherman's Wharf in 25 minutes. There is also a huge shopping mall just north of 380 (also only a quarter-mile from the hotel) with a JCPenny, Best Buy, Target, etc. - in case you forgot to pack something and need to buy something real quick. We will never even consider staying anywhere else in the Bay Area ever again. The Villa Montes Hotel has our business for life.

Room Tip: There are probably no bad rooms in the hotel! There are only 3 floors, and we were on the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank oowie
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Villa Montes does not look like much from the outside but in the hallways it tries to resemble an Italian Villa. I wouldn't do that far but it is lovely and the rooms better than average. The breakfast they serve is very limited with respect to choices and no hot food. Sometimes airplane noise from SFO can be heard.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel away from the main drag -- San Bruno Ave.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Steven M
Reviewed June 24, 2013

With family in the area it's not often I book a hotel here, but with extended family in town we needed more beds. The Villa Montes was a welcome bit of peace and luxury during a difficult time. The room was well appointed, the bed very comfortable. The amenities were very nice for such a small hotel. It is very close to SFO but does not feel like an airport hotel, and whatever noise from SFO was very minimal.

I appreciated the personal touch with free taxi to and from the airport and a friendly face greeting me when I arrived back each evening. It felt more like the villa of a friend than a hotel. We will definitely book here again when staying with family in the Bay Area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Hotel Aura San Bruno
Hotel Aura San Bruno
#2 of 13 in San Bruno
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airp...
#3 of 28 in South San Francisco
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame

Been to Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!