“Baffled by the Reviews”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Seattle, Washington
“Baffled by the Reviews”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

So I'm baffled by the "blown away" reviews of this hotel. I had read the reviews after getting this hotel for a great price off of Hotwire (you get the hotel after your pay for a 'good' deal). I was excited after reading so many great reviews. Not so excited when I drove up to it and it was on such a busy thoroughfare, the hotel sign was missing two letters, and it was definitely in a sketchy part of town.

The lobby and interior was definitely better, but to me the vibe was almost skanky with the faux leopard fur blanket across the bed that I quickly threw off and the stains on the albeit pretty couch against the window. Ahem.

Pretty, but .....

There are better places.

Room Tip: Top floor away facing away from the exceptionally busy street
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Shel S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had a very nice, comfortable stay. The access to freeway to get to San Francisco is very close - about 15 min easy drive. About 15 minutes from airport. The staff was the diamond here! Very courteous, helpful and friendly! Lobby area is very pretty and clean. Complimentary breakfast was a nice assortment of cereals, make your own waffle, fruits, yogurt, danish, juices, coffee and the like. Numerous restaurants within walking distance. Free parking under the facility, but I can see it is limited. We never had a problem parking there and we were there the Fourth of July through the weekend. Rooms are very clean and the beds were very comfortable. My wife and I really liked every aspect of our stay here. Would recommend it, and would stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on 2nd floor, right up from lobby, and it was quiet and convinient to breakfast and elevator...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Part of me doesn't want to leave a review for this boutique hotel, because the more people that know about the Villa Montes Hotel, the more difficult it'll be for me to get a room there in the future. We just returned from a week in San Francisco. A few months ago, when we were researching our trip, I realized that parking (a rental car) in San Francisco is very expensive, and many of the hotels in San Francisco charge excessively for parking. Additionally, whenever we travel, we always try to find a hotel with a mini-fridge, and if possible, a microwave. It allows us to take leftovers from a restaurant, or go to a nearby grocery store and buy beer, wine, snacks, etc.

After tiring flights and a big hassle at the rental car center, we NEEDED lunch at In-N-Out Burger (a mere 10 minute drive south of the hotel). In a mildly-improved post-lunch mood, we checked-in at the hotel. Tonya was working at the front desk, and she was very friendly and pleasant! She asked if we needed recommendations for places to eat, and when we told her we did, she gave us a list of 3 places she enjoys in San Francisco. She also suggested a small list of things to do. There is a small parking garage (easy to enter and exit from, keeps your car out of the sun, and the garage is impeccably clean) below the hotel, and the parking is free if you're staying at the hotel. There was never a problem finding parking, and we were there the week of July 4th. The elevator takes you from the parking garage right up to your hallway - it takes about 25 seconds to get from your car to your room, which is great when you're tired or carrying shopping bags.

The room itself is a mix of traditional and modern styling. Granite countertops, basin sink, granite floor and granite tub surround in the bathroom. They even provide a portable, 2-sided vanity mirror which my wife used to apply her make-up (it's better than leaning over the basin sink). All the complimentary toiletries they provide (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap, shower cap...I don't even remember - there were like a dozen little bottles of things) are from Bath & Body Works (which my wife appreciated more than I). There are 2 white, plush bathrobes hanging in the closet. The room is heated/cooled by a Mitsubishi ductless unit, mounted on the wall up near the ceiling (very out of the way and quiet). The unit is controlled by a remote control, which is awesome when your wife wakes you up in the middle of the night to turn the temperature down because she is warm...I had the remote on my nightstand and adjusted the temp with my eyes closed. Other amenities: flatscreen TV (with TV guide button), coffee maker, microwave, large-sized mini-fridge. I read many other reviews about the beds being amazingly comfortable, and we were not disappointed! The beds and pillows are wonderfully comfortable! We always looked forward to crawling in bed each night.

The whole hotel seems brand new! Even the windows (Jeld Wen) were excellent! We were on the 3rd floor overlooking El Camino Real (a pretty busy street), and our room was practically silent! And despite being only a few blocks from the airport, we heard NO airplanes! Additionally, the drapes were amazing at blocking the light. The sun shone brightly the entire week we were there, and with the drapes closed, it seemed like the middle of the night inside the room.

The hotel has a small lounge room off the main lobby, and offers a complimentary glass of wine each evening at 6:00pm. Unfortunately, we were never around in the evenings to enjoy our glasses of wine. They also have a soaking tub (it looks like a kiddie pool, no air jets/bubbles, but hot water nevertheless) on the 2nd floor, and a sauna - more things we planned on enjoying but never found the time. We did, however, take advantage of the continental breakfast each morning. They offer cereal, waffles, bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit, coffee, milk, orange juice, and cranberry juice. And if you need something a bit more substantial one morning, an IHOP is only two doors down. (We even ordered IHOP to go one morning, and ate in our room)

There is a Trader Joe's and a Safeway grocery store 5 minutes down the road (to get your beer and wine), and a huge dollar store just up the street (to get your $1 beer mug or wine glasses). The highway (380) is only a quarter-mile up the street from the hotel, and at night, when traffic isn't bad, I could get home from Fisherman's Wharf in 25 minutes. There is also a huge shopping mall just north of 380 (also only a quarter-mile from the hotel) with a JCPenny, Best Buy, Target, etc. - in case you forgot to pack something and need to buy something real quick. We will never even consider staying anywhere else in the Bay Area ever again. The Villa Montes Hotel has our business for life.

Room Tip: There are probably no bad rooms in the hotel! There are only 3 floors, and we were on the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank oowie
Oceano, California
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Villa Montes does not look like much from the outside but in the hallways it tries to resemble an Italian Villa. I wouldn't do that far but it is lovely and the rooms better than average. The breakfast they serve is very limited with respect to choices and no hot food. Sometimes airplane noise from SFO can be heard.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel away from the main drag -- San Bruno Ave.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steven M
Atlanta
Reviewed June 24, 2013

With family in the area it's not often I book a hotel here, but with extended family in town we needed more beds. The Villa Montes was a welcome bit of peace and luxury during a difficult time. The room was well appointed, the bed very comfortable. The amenities were very nice for such a small hotel. It is very close to SFO but does not feel like an airport hotel, and whatever noise from SFO was very minimal.

I appreciated the personal touch with free taxi to and from the airport and a friendly face greeting me when I arrived back each evening. It felt more like the villa of a friend than a hotel. We will definitely book here again when staying with family in the Bay Area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Haven't even gotten to this hotel and have already been greeted with a sarcastic and unwilling reception clerk via phone. I was calling from a Middle Eastern country trying to secure a shuttle in the middle of the night as my plane will land at midnight. After a 24 hour journey, I was just calling to see if anyone could send the shuttle for me rather than my having to deal with calling at an information booth, enduring more waiting and executing more luggage logistics after such a long trip. This fellow who I do not know the name of works on Wednesday evening after 8 p.m. West Coast time. He didn't even pretend to check if an acception could be made. With hotel prices being what they are, and how competitive an atmosphere the travel industry must endure, employees fail to make the connection between their clients and their pay checks. With out our patronage, these folks don't have a job. Unfortunately I am just one person. However if this fellow continues to repel potential clients from staying there, eventually this will hit his bottom line. While I do not expect to be given red carpet treatment, I do expect service industry people to at least pretend they are trying to accomdate their patrons. I am very disappointed as I stayed here several years ago and enjoyed the location very much. I will be changing hotels because if I encounter this young man, I may not be able to remain polite. I know if I was on the end of that phone working for this establishment and some one was calling from the middle east I would try my best to hear what the customer needed and if I could not resolve it, I would take it to my higher ups. But that's just me. I am I better...no just kinder and more respectful. Shame on Villa Montes for hiring such a disrespectful young man. This is what I had to resort to as there is no other way to communicate my distaste for such a simple transaction yet a most unpleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Shayna G
Baxter, Minnesota
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just returned from a four night stay at the Villa. Our room was spacious, quiet, and very clean. All the front desk staff was very friendly. We rented a car and were happy to have free underground parking, but most of the time we took the BART train, an easy walk away, into the city and avoided the traffic and expensive parking. SF's public transportation is great.

I have nothing bad to say about the Villa. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Our room in the back was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 13 in San Bruno
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame

Been to Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!