“Awesome Hotel.”

Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Pros: Hotel bathrobe, complementary wine each evening, nice exercise room, great hot tub, comfortable Beds, spacious rooms, free coffee and cookies in lobby, complementary Today and local newspapers each morning in lobby, ok breakfast. Covered parking in basement. Decent neighborhood. Fridge. Room safe. Room microwave. Cons: Anal about check out time. If you want breakfast and want to sleep in, you better get it before 9am. Some staff were not friendly or helpful. About 11-14 miles to San Francisco which can be a negative if you are dealing with rush hour traffic. Overall: Great Place to stay at reasonable price for San Francisco area. I would stay here again. Marble shower and countertops. Modern design throughout hotel. Safe neighborhood.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank xdavec
There are newer reviews for Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed at the Villa Montes for a number of months during the week for business and I must say I love this hotel. I have stayed at true 5 star hotels and this place isn't one of them, but it also isn't trying to be. It is a solid 4 star hotel and a pleasure to stay at.

Less than 10 minutes door to terminal from SFO and less than 5 minutes from Bayhill Shopping Center and The Shops at Tanforan, the location is superb - the only drawback is that the hotel is on a busy street (El Camino Real) and is situated next to an auto dealer and across from a funiture store - so you don't get a nice 'walk around the neighborhood' vibe, but the area is safe. If you have a car (I recommend it), parking is located under the building (accessible from the front of the hotel), but you can park temporarily at street level for checkin.

Staff and the amenities are fantastic. The front desk staff is very friendly and always accomodating. The building has wall ac/heating units which are new and are situated on inside walls as they are dripless. Don't picture loud rumbling metal boxes under the window - think wisper quiet vents over the doorway. Being an urban-type hotel the pool is small, but is set an a spa-like room where relaxing is encouraged. It is nice to grab a book and sit in the comfortable chairs pool-side and read by the fireplace. Kids may find it too small for 'fun' and it may be to close for comfort if mutiple adults are in the water. Staying there for months, I never encountered another guest at the pool/sauna. The beds and rooms are very comfortable. El Camino quiets down in the evening so it doesn't really matter if your room is in the front or back of the hotel. There are no great views (accept from the rooftop) so room selection shouldn't factor in. Each floor has a single computer/printer for printing boarding passes and directions, etc. Wifi is free and generally quite speedy.

Wine and cookies in the evening and a decent continental breakfast with a waffle machine for the mornings are the only food options at the hotel. While there is food nearby (IHOP, Wendy's, etc) skip them and head to Bayhill Shopping Center or the Shops at Tanforan. There are many food options within a short drive away. If you like Mexican food, Don Pico's is just down the street and is one of the best restauarants in San Bruno - do not let the outside deter you and get there early - there can be a wait at dinner time.

I was sorry my contract ended in San Bruno primarily because of the Villa Montes. While the Marriott Courtyard is situated in a nice location (tree-lined sidewalks and grassy areas), the VM is better maintained, better managed, and offers better amenities for typically less money.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank jst4kix
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This is a wonderful hotel located about 5 minutes from the San Francisco airport. Free parking, free wi-fi are definite pluses.

Breakfast was superb with a mini waffle-iron, yogurt, and bagels. If they run short on anything, they're happy to replace it. They also let us stay after it was closed a couple of times. Unfortunately, the sink area is a no-go area after a while; the dishes piled up and was generally disgusting.

Rooms are nicely appointed and comfortable. Bathrooms are nicely up to date, but we were stuck with a accessible room so our shower would only come out of a handheld attachment.

We brought our infant girl. The crib was a light, drop-side model, and the wife had some concerns about it, so we ended up having her sleep with us.

The area around the hotel is not walkable, you need to drive. There's a lawyers office, IHOP, and car dealership, so there's not much to see if you walk. It is nicely convenient to all the major highways around South Francisco, so driving anywhere is a breeze.

All in all, a nice boutique hotel with great amenities right by the airport. It's a really nice place and for the price, it can't be beat.

Room Tip: Don't get the accessible room. The bathroom shower looked comfortable but we only go an attachme...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jorana
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Let me begin by saying that I am a hotel manager. I happened to need a place to stay in the Peninsula area and my own brand was not available. I found a fantastic deal for Villa Montes. Upon arrival, the chic music and spotlessly clean elevator from the FREE parking garage made me think I was in Las Vegas.

The artistic decor and warm colors make you feel that you've stepped out of time into some sort of European Boutique. It just kept getting better.

The room was spacious, super clean, creatively decorated and so welcoming. I haven't slept that well in ages...

The welcoming managers reception, warm cookies and quick continental breakfast are really all you need for a quick bite. Don't expect a full meal...as you probably aren't in this part of town for the food anyway. A quick grab and go on the way out is just enough to get your day started and to welcome you back in the evening. Did I mention FREE wireless? Very hard to find near SFO.

The whirlpool is fantastic (although I did not go in-but it looks great!) and the staff was friendly and helpful.

I've worked in and stayed at several hotels. My standards are higher than most and I know what to look for in terms of how corners get cut and quality is faked. I couldn't find anything to fault this charming boutique hotel with.

Bottom line...I've found my new favorite spot near SFO.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Travelovers11
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I travel weekly for work and spend more than 200 nights a year on the road, and I stay in hotels from coast to coast. Of all of the hotels in which I stay, this truly is my absolute favorite hotel. I cannot begin to rate this hotel high enough! It's unique charm and comfort make it a real deal. Add the warmth of an amazing staff, and it's almost better than going home. (Sorry dear!)

I have stayed in this hotel on several different trips, from single over-night trips to extended, three- and four-night trips, and this hotel performs consistently. I have stayed in hotels in the City (San Francisco) as well as other hotels near the airport, and this is my favorite hotel. I will never stay anywhere else when I am in the Bay Area!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank skisix02
Reviewed May 25, 2011

i am a clean freak and though my first impressions were not stellar (tacky tacky decor not the best location but close to the airport) the room itself was a very pleasant surprise. bed was perfect nice clean linens and pillows. served a decent free breakfast the next day. front desk staff was excellent. very happy stayed very briefly only stayed there bc my flight coming in was very late.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank couturecorgi
Reviewed May 19, 2011

This hotel is absolutely gorgeous! BUT there are too many cons to this place. First of all, the location is convenient, but not in a nice part of town. There is a used car lot right next door, plus some other shady businesses. There was literally a bus stop right outside our hotel room window!!! This was only a few feet away as the hotel is right on the street too. In addition to the very loud traffic noise, the bus kept waking us up with the noise and beeps. We could even hear the bus driver announcing which stop they were at. Awful. We needed to wake early to catch our flight (this hotel is conveniently located next to the airport). I found one bug on the floor in the bathroom, not a big deal seeing as we were leaving. Then I saw one IN THE BED. I do not appreciate sleeping with bugs. >:-| And then to top it all off, when I mentioned this to the front desk clerk upon check out, he simply said, "Ok, I'll let housekeeping know." NO apology at all. I was appalled and couldn't get out fast enough. It's a shame, because this hotel truly is beautiful.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Hotel Aura San Bruno
Hotel Aura San Bruno
#2 of 13 in San Bruno
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airp...
#3 of 28 in South San Francisco
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame

Been to Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!