“Catch it while you can”
Review of Wigwam Motel

and 1 more site!
Wigwam Motel
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in San Bernardino
Reviewed June 11, 2009

Not for everyone but the last of a dying breed. The place is very well kept and the staff was great. If your expecting 5 star accomidations, not for you; but if your looking to experience old style California novelty motels; you'll be glad you sought this place out. Along with the Joshua Tree Inn; this place is a favorite. Look fast tho; got a feeling it wont bee around much longer; which would be a shame.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
wigwamrte66, Owner at Wigwam Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2009

We are happy to have made your stay comfortable. Yes, we are a historic landmark on Rt 66 and plan to be here a very long time!! Hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed June 10, 2009

I arrived late to a locked door at the office, but the man there opened up for me (I didn't notice the window at the side until the next morning!). The room (118) was bigger than the wigwams in Holbrook, AZ, so the room wasn't quite as cramped with two beds and the bathroom was noticeably more spacious. The room was small compared to a modern room and it could use some touch up here and there, but for a 60 year old motel it's not bad at all. I think they did a good job fixing it up from its former seedy days. The dedicated parking right next to the room is nice. Didn't have the opportunity to use the pool. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

We are happy that you enjoyed our spacious teepees!

Reviewed June 2, 2009

My friend and I were doing route 66 and this was a great place on the mother road to stay at. These concrete wigwams are fully equipped with all mod cons, and very comfortable. The only weird (bit not necesarily bad) thing was the bed. It was huge. And I don't mean width, I mean height off the ground. I had to hoist myself up onto it to get in, and jump off to get out. I'm 5 foot 2 so not the tallest person in the world but not that short either. We took a photo of me sitting on the bed and I look like a wee pixie or something!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends

We are happy that you enjoyed our very large beds! Hope to see you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2009

Great place. If you're travelling down Route 66, you'll probably know about this place and its cousin in Arizona. Well worth the stop.
I found the staff very helpful and friendly, and the teepees all I'd hoped they would be.
Remember, this is a motel, so once inside the room, expect shower-room, bed, sofa, tv and fridge and microwave. A number of reviews seemed to be complaining about it being basic... it's a motel!!!)
I was visiting (and staying) in my capacity as a travel photographer. The staff didn't know this until all the formalities were out of the way, so didn't affect the service.

(FYI pictures will be online at [--] in due course)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

Thank you for staying at the Wigwam Motel. There are only three of the originial seven locations left in the United States and ours is located on historic Route 66.

Reviewed May 26, 2009

NOISY, PARTY AT MIDNIGHT IN NASTY NEIGHBORHOOD BEHIND MOTEL. DO NOT RELY ON THIS PLACE ...HAVE A BACK-UP PLAN. Made reservation for late arrival. Notified Wigwam would be arriving around 1am when reservatIon was made months in advance. Actually arrived ahead of schedule (got there at 11:30 pm) to find they "did not have this reservation." But did conveniently have something for $60 more. The Night Manager, Ahmed, continually pointed to a line on my printed reservation confirmation that he seemed to be quite familiar with, stating special requests could not be guaranteed and may result in higher fees. I reserved a room with two beds for late arrival. Is that a "special" request? Hasn't been at any other place we've stayed. They tried to make us take two separate rooms at more money. I asked if we could have the two rooms at the rate we were supposed to get. He refused. I asked Ahmed if this is the way they operate. English became a problem at that point, go figure. We indicated what he could do with his two rooms. Enough said.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
11  Thank FamilyAdventureAgent

Our staff is always eager to make your stay more enjoyable. We are sorry that there was a problem with the original reservation and hope that you will stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed May 22, 2009

We stayed here as part of our Southwest Roadtrip back in April. What a charming motel. The property is impeccably maintained- perfect green lawn, clean, and painted. Each "room" is a detached tee-pee. Ours had a king size bed, couch, fridge, TV, and a small bathroom. The shower stall was incredibly cramped with a low ceiling, but that's a minor inconvenience. We didn't have any complaints about the neighborhood, but we arrived late in the evening having already eaten, so we didn't venture far outside of our wigwam. It was nice to wake up in the morning and walk around the property.

We used this as a jumping off point for Joshua Tree, which was about an hour away. We really wanted to stay in a Wigwam after passing the one in Holbrook, AZ two years earlier. It's great to see these being maintained. This is a true slice of Americana that you can't miss out on. The motel office also has a good Route 66 gift shop.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

I hope you enjoyed your Southwest Roadtrip and am happy that you included a night in our teepee to your trip. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 9, 2009

We loved the Wigwam---incredibly well-maintained, clean, and excellent service from the innkeepers.

Chris & Barbara
Long Beach, California

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying at the Wigwam Motel!! Hope to see you again soon!