“Great place to stay - great owner!”
Review of Wigwam Motel

Wigwam Motel
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in San Bernardino
Ghent, Belgium
“Great place to stay - great owner!”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We travelled Route 66 last April-May with another couple. The previous day before arriving in the LA area we booked two rooms online. We arrived in the late afternoon and could hangout in the garden and at the pool - although it is along a busy road, we could relax and you are not bothered by the traffic. We were joined after a while by the owner Kumar. He advised us on the last part of the Route and because we were so young driving the route, we were even interviewed by Kumar on why we were travelling the route, our experiences and so on. Later on he took us out to dinner and to Ed's Route 66 Bar a little further on the road.
Kumar was very friendly and funny to hangout with - this was one of the best experiences in both stay and encounter we had during our complete route-driving. We absolutely had no unsafe feeling - on the contrary - and yes the area is a bit scruffy, but trust me, along our route 66 we landed up in much more impoverished areas. This is part of what America is in reality, sad but true.
Don't stay here if you expect a perfect hotel room and neighbourhood - do stay here if you wish to stay in an historical interesting place and in a genuine meeting with a passionate person!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eef V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Leesburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

I am a female and I travel alone. I am planning my fourth stay in two years here.

That being said, I have felt safer here then at a Hyatt. The rooms are cleaner too.

I love what the Patel Family has done to keep the spirit of Rt.66 alive. This place is really amazing. Every time I stay here, I am amazed at how comfortable and welcomed I feel. I don't feel like a guest, I feel like a friend.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Mandie J
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed July 19, 2014

My husband and I have stayed here twice and have loved both stays. Comfortable rooms, nice beds, fast Wi-Fi and the owners are wonderful. I enjoy being in a place where the owners are friendly and willing to actually talk to guests, not just quickly send them off to their room like you'd find in a boring chain motel.

As for the location...sure it's not in the best part of Rialto but that's part of its charm. We've had no problems while there and felt completely safe walking around the area, even at night.

We will be back again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kim U
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Having grown up in San Bernardino in the 50's & 60's it's great to see what Kumar has done to the place. It's nice to stay there occasionally to appreciate the "Old Road" feel. We have even had a few reunion events there which even included a stage and live music. All went off without a hitch. Thanks Kumar for bring back the "Wigwam" of my youth. You have and continue to do a great job. Bob York Crestline, CA

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Ryork5150
Alcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2014

What a brilliant way to spend a night! In a Wigwam....all mod cons and fabulously furnished, you wouldn't believe you were sleeping in a concrete wigwam! I found this place in my Route 66 book and was very pleased we decided to stay there. Friendly staff even set up the firepit in the evening so all the guests could roast marshmallows which was a lovely idea as we got to talk to other guests, which is always nice. I would highly recommend this wonderful place to anyone who is in San Bernardino

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Tracy W
Wanaka, New Zealand
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed here recently on our Route 66 tour which was booked by our tour organiser. It is a unique accommodation staying in the Wigwams, and I would give this a 2 star rating. Worth a visit for the fact it is something very different. The rooms are tidy, comfortable but a bit rough around the edges, that with a little work could look a lot tidier.
The thing that upset our group was the "friendliness" of our host, which I felt went too far and gave all our group a very uneasy feeling and quite uncomfortable. Quite glad to leave there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
10 Thank Wanagirl
Kumar P, Owner at Wigwam Motel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Too Friendly; Thank You. Route 66 is a different type of road an people are just out-going & take the Wigwam Motel experience to the heart.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This was my 2nd stay at the Wigwam Motel.Very clean and the outside appearance can fool you.Inside there is plenty of room.Plus excellant staff service and a great outdoor swimming area.I would recommend this Motel to all my friends travelling through the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
#14 of 32 in San Bernardino
Comfort Inn I-15
Comfort Inn I-15
#3 of 7 in Fontana

Been to Wigwam Motel? Share your experiences!