We travelled Route 66 last April-May with another couple. The previous day before arriving in the LA area we booked two rooms online. We arrived in the late afternoon and could hangout in the garden and at the pool - although it is along a busy road, we could relax and you are not bothered by the traffic. We were joined after a while by the owner Kumar. He advised us on the last part of the Route and because we were so young driving the route, we were even interviewed by Kumar on why we were travelling the route, our experiences and so on. Later on he took us out to dinner and to Ed's Route 66 Bar a little further on the road.
Kumar was very friendly and funny to hangout with - this was one of the best experiences in both stay and encounter we had during our complete route-driving. We absolutely had no unsafe feeling - on the contrary - and yes the area is a bit scruffy, but trust me, along our route 66 we landed up in much more impoverished areas. This is part of what America is in reality, sad but true.
Don't stay here if you expect a perfect hotel room and neighbourhood - do stay here if you wish to stay in an historical interesting place and in a genuine meeting with a passionate person!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Historic Route 66! One of the few remaining classic motels. This family-fun roadside attraction was built in 1949 and has undergone a renovation phase. The motel offers a complete guest room in a peculiar fashion of actual wigwam units. The motel comprises of all the standard hotel amenities ! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Wigwam Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wigwam Hotel San Bernardino
- Wigwam Motel San Bernardino