We decided to stay not only because we're Route 66 buffs, but we were going to the San Manuel PowWow a few miles away, and thought this would be a kitschy and silly "theme" weekend.
Okay, yeah, Rialto is a ROUGH neighborhood, if you're looking for a five-star resort, this is not the place for you. But the Wigwam is a green oasis, with safe and attractive fencing all around it, and you park your car literally adjacent to your wigwam.
Rooms -- guys, it's a wigwam. Think "Motel 6 with a cuter outfit." Holds either one or two "queen" (we think smaller, closer to full size) beds, rollaway on request. Nice TV with HBO and other limited channels. FREE wired AND wireless Internet! Very interesting teeny-tub (literally half-size) tub/shower combo - shower is typical 50's hotel 'chest height' but still quite nice, lots of hot water. Economy hotel type toiletries. Yea, some room condition/maintenance issues, but seriously, we knew what we were signing on for when we checked in. If you're expecting flawless grout, etc., go somewhere else, don't bwaah about it like you thought you were getting the Rtiz-Carlton!
Mr. Patel (yes,East Indians run the American Indian-themed motel, a joke that was not lost on Mr. Patel!) was a wonder, took care of our rollaway etc. while we were out at powwow, and gave us a courtesy wakeup call 30 minutes before checkout time (which we would have slept through if not!). GREAT GIFT SHOP full of Route 66 souvenirs.
Pet friendly! but did not take our pet. Too cold to try pool but it looked clean, right behind manager's wigwam so no problems.
Again, VERY dicey neighborhood, but this is an oasis of Route 66 history and we did not feel unsafe at any time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Historic Route 66! One of the few remaining classic motels. This family-fun roadside attraction was built in 1949 and has undergone a renovation phase. The motel offers a complete guest room in a peculiar fashion of actual wigwam units. The motel comprises of all the standard hotel amenities ! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Wigwam Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wigwam Hotel San Bernardino
- Wigwam Motel San Bernardino