“Living History...And a nice place to sleep”
Review of Wigwam Motel

Wigwam Motel
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in San Bernardino
Reviewed July 8, 2008

My friends and I planned on going to San Bernadino to watch The Inland Empire 66ers play and stay overnight. We checked online and found most of the places to have reviews equal to or worse than a prison. I saw a link for this motel and couldn't believe my eyes; a wigwam! We booked our stay and talked for weeks about the trip and when we arrived, we were not disappointed. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable, the outside area was well maintained and the staff was friendly. The bathrooms are a bit older and according to the owner's son, will be redone sometime later this year.

When we plan our next stay in San Bernadino, we're staying here and only here. If you're a history buff or just someone who wants a clean comfy room, The Wigwam Motel is your place.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vadertyme

Reviewed June 19, 2008

A friend and I took a road trip along Route 66 for a girls' weekend away. On our last night of the trip we stayed at the WigWam Motel. We were pleasantly surprised.

When we arrived late due to car trouble the inkeeper was very accomodating. Our room was immaculately clean. We had one of 2 rooms with 2 queen beds. Although we had to sacrifice a decent sitting area for the extra bed, we were very comfortable. A nice couple let us peek into their room, which had one bed and a sitting area. It was nicely decorated and again very clean and well-maintained. The grounds were well manicured, and the price was exceptional even for a roadside motel.

The only complaint I have is the area: we found it hard to find somewhere to eat that wasn't fast food or a Mexican mom-and-pop restaurant...which is excellent if you're in the mood for those things, which we weren't. Still, it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank nene_mac
Reviewed May 25, 2008

I'll preface this by acknowledging that this place is not for everyone; however, I absolutely loved it. I just got back home from a 4 day business trip to the Fontana/Highland/Loma Linda area. I could have stayed @ any number of traditional places, but I have just enough "Clark Griswold" in me to think that this was the coolest place around. The place is well taken care of, but it's been around for decades, so it is in need of some minor updates. It's not the best place for business travellers b/c it lacks storage (unless you don't mind living out of your suitcase) & an iron/ironing board (although I didn't ask, so they may offer it in the office like some other hotels do). That being said, the novelty & ambiance of staying in a Wigwam on Route 66 more than make up for it (in my opinion). The staff is very friendly, responsive and very appreciative of your business...which is an advantage over chain hotels. The bed & couch were both very comfortable as well. I'd definitely recommend staying @ the Wigwam & would stay again

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank MightyClong
Reviewed May 18, 2008

Me my brother and our wives stayed at the Wigwam Motel in San Bernardino and we had a wonderful stay.

We purchased some luggage from them as well.

The folks there were extreamly nice and honest as well. My wife lost her wallet while we were there and the folks found it and returned it with all cash, credit cards etc intact.

What could have been a costley and stressful experience turned out to be one of the bright spts of our vacation.

Thanks Manny and your folks!

Terry Chastain

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank techastain
Reviewed May 16, 2008

The Wigwam motel is one of the better ones in san bernardino. the people that work there are very friendly. The rooms are clean and its private.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2008

My daughter (who is 12 years old) absolutely LOVED sleeping in a "teepee" (which is not made from the traditional materials, but rather, is almost like a studio apartment, except round!). However, I was not quite as impressed. There were two really old soda machines, neither of which worked, and one of which stole my money. The small refrigerator in our room made a ticking noise all night until I got up and unplugged it. The bed was really small, and someone had left a dirty towel behind it, which makes me feel like the housekeeping personnel do not exactly do a great job. The carpet was extremely dirty; my daughter and I took off our shoes when we got there, and our feet were FILTHY just from walking around on the carpet. We had to put towels all over the floor so that we wouldn't keep getting our feet dirty. The Gift Shop was cute but over-priced. Although my daughter says she wants to stay there again, I have the feeling we will not be shacking up at this "Route 66" landmark again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank its_rosie
wigwamrte66, Manager at Wigwam Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2008

Thank you for leaving your feedback and staying with us. We are not always perfect, we try our best to make the wigwams fun for everyone. We apologize and will take better cleaning procedures. Carpets are cleaned seasonally and as needed. We did have to delay carpet cleaning earlier this year because of our unusual weather. We waited for weather to clear for a drier week so that we could have the carpets cleaned and air dried.

Our older style soda pop machines are positioned outside for looks only. The machine should have been noted, I've made a notation and hope this will never happen again. We would have gladly refunded the coins that were lost in the machine.

Our gift shop is moderately priced, however we do have a few items were are slightly higher. Most of our items fall below $10.00, $12 for our T-shirts is very reasonable. Please don't let the pricing discourage you, we have a small markup with no motive to cheat anyone.

We hope that guests will consider staying with us. We have many frequent guests, some are even professional working, who continue to enjoy their stay at the classic motel.

Safe Travels,
Management

Reviewed February 18, 2008

For all Route 66 fans looking for a different hotel experience, the Wigwam Motel can't be beat. I was looking for accommodations somewhere near my relatives in Claremont, and happened upon the Wigwam. Comfortable, modern, and only a couple of miles from two major highways, the rooms may not be big, but will handle one or two people without a problem. Attractively priced, but book ahead -- only two doubles available.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank steve10011

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us.

We like to hear that people are enjoying the motel, it's a VERY different experience.

Thanks!