“Days spent at the Wigwam”
Review of Wigwam Motel

and 1 more site!
Wigwam Motel
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in San Bernardino
Reviewed April 14, 2013

What a great experience, we always stay here, very friendly and clean, picturesque grounds. The grounds are well maintained and you must go to the back and check out the vegetable gardens. Bed are comfortable pillows should be updated they are a bit on the hard side.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank juniloco

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Our group of friends took a road trip to the Wigwam Motel in March. We grilled out and shared beers around the pool, played bocce ball in the yard, and enjoyed cocktails and cards in our wigwams (teepees). It was almost surreal being surrounded by these concrete teepees. We were looking for the Route 66 experience and had a blast!

If this is the type of experience you are looking for then the Wigwam Motel is worth undertaking. If you are looking for a hotel experience or plan on spending the entire night in your room, this is definitely NOT the place for you.

The service was great. Kumar is awesome and we had a good time talking with him poolside. He said that the Wigwam Motel is at its best when people are outside by the pool, sharing their stories, enjoying each others' company. We could certainly see that and were glad to have shared this experience albeit with just our small group of friends.

The rooms are tired and ours a bit musty. Aside from the flat screen TVs, they haven't been updated much since 1949. That is part of the experience. Yes, the neighborhood is not the best, however, it was safe. We were outside until 12am and saw no one on the streets.

We enjoyed our Route 66 experience at the Wigwam Motel and would recommend it to any fellow travelers looking for the same!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RCS_Junior
Reviewed April 9, 2013

There are three wigwam motels like this one still standing. One is in Cave City, Kentucky on the historic Dixie Highway. The second is in Holbrook, Arizona and this one in San Bernardino, both on historic Route 66. I have stayed in all three of them multiple times. There are a couple of other things you should know about me to put my review in an appropriate context:

1. I am a "roadie." I love traveling two lane highways; I have driven Route 66 end-to-end four times and I have driven many other historic highways across the country. One of my favorite things to do is to stay in classic motels, and I have spent many, many nights in some great ones and also quite a few pretty bad ones.

2. I am a lifetime Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite member and I stay in some very nice hotels 75-100 nights a year.

So, my take on the Wigwam? I would stay there again in a heartbeat. It is clean and well cared for, as are the grounds. Of the three Wigwam motels, this one is the nicest. You have your own personal parking space right next to your door, so loading and unloading the car is convenient. The room is small but not cramped, and it is comfortable.

I'm a little surprised by comments about a lack of restaurants in the area, though I suppose it may be true if you are talking about walking distance. A wonderful Mexican restaurant is within a mile (ask at the front desk). If you can stand a 20 minute cruise west on Route 66 you'll reach Victoria Gardens Mall with an amazing array of great restaurants. Too far? You will have passed 50 other places on the way.

If you are a roadie, don't miss the opportunity to spend the night here. You won't be disappointed. If you are a Marriott kinda guy or gal, keep heading west and you will find what you are looking for. I have to say though, if there was a Marriott Hotel right next door, I would pick the Wigwam every time, and I LIKE Marriott Hotels.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mike C
Reviewed April 9, 2013

For a trip down Route 66 this is a MUST stay. The rooms were clean and well kept. Grounds were well kept and inviting. Very friendly and hospitable. Granted the rooms are small but it is a teepee you are staying in and is part of the charm. A variety of restaurants in the area to choose from even though you do have to look for them. mostly "Mom and Pop" places. The area is safe and at no time had a concern for safety. Prices are reasonable. The pool also looked inviting even though it was February. We will positively be back in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same but we stayed in #10. Close to the street but still quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

As a female who traveled Southern California alone, I completely loved my stay. Kumar, family and other guests are the best. I cant tell you how much fun it was sitting poolside and getting to know people that are staying there. Do you get that at the Hilton? Not at all.

The rooms are very clean and if my bed wasnt made, it was because I told them not to bother cleaning my room.

I never felt unsafe or in any harm staying there, if fact I liked staying there so much, that I already booked another trip with them.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mandie J
Reviewed April 6, 2013

If you are a fan of Route 66 or you enjoyed the Disney movie "Cars", you should not miss this location.
This nice motel has 19 wigwams or teepees, with their own private bathroom. We spent only night here and despite the bed being a bit small (smaller than a queen-size), the mattress was pretty comfortable. The only problem for me was that our wigwam was very close to the road (even if not the closest), so some trucks woke me up in the middle of the night.
There is no breakfast, but the lady at the reception offered us coffee.
I am curious to try now the other only remaining Wigwam Motel on Historic Route 66 in Holbrook, AZ.

Room Tip: Rooms farther from the road are quieter
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed here for one night, our first night after a long flight and a long day, so all we really needed was a hot shower and comfortable bed . That's what we got. The room was small but clean, bit disappointed that there was no way to make a cuppa (not really sure why there is a fridge in the room, and we had to turn it off as it was noisy). The area is a bit dodgy,we ended up walking to the nearby Walgreens for an ice-cream for dinner!! Not much else in the area.
Cheap, clean, a bit of a novelty but nice to see a bit of history still surviving.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple