“A wonderful stay at the Wigwam”
Review of Wigwam Motel

and 1 more site!
Wigwam Motel
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in San Bernardino
Reviewed April 9, 2013

As a female who traveled Southern California alone, I completely loved my stay. Kumar, family and other guests are the best. I cant tell you how much fun it was sitting poolside and getting to know people that are staying there. Do you get that at the Hilton? Not at all.

The rooms are very clean and if my bed wasnt made, it was because I told them not to bother cleaning my room.

I never felt unsafe or in any harm staying there, if fact I liked staying there so much, that I already booked another trip with them.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mandie J

Reviewed April 6, 2013

If you are a fan of Route 66 or you enjoyed the Disney movie "Cars", you should not miss this location.
This nice motel has 19 wigwams or teepees, with their own private bathroom. We spent only night here and despite the bed being a bit small (smaller than a queen-size), the mattress was pretty comfortable. The only problem for me was that our wigwam was very close to the road (even if not the closest), so some trucks woke me up in the middle of the night.
There is no breakfast, but the lady at the reception offered us coffee.
I am curious to try now the other only remaining Wigwam Motel on Historic Route 66 in Holbrook, AZ.

Room Tip: Rooms farther from the road are quieter
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed here for one night, our first night after a long flight and a long day, so all we really needed was a hot shower and comfortable bed . That's what we got. The room was small but clean, bit disappointed that there was no way to make a cuppa (not really sure why there is a fridge in the room, and we had to turn it off as it was noisy). The area is a bit dodgy,we ended up walking to the nearby Walgreens for an ice-cream for dinner!! Not much else in the area.
Cheap, clean, a bit of a novelty but nice to see a bit of history still surviving.

1  Thank shazzcatz
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed at the Wigwam Motel, because we were in town to see my brother play baseball. I was a little concerned when I saw the surrounding area, but the motel is great! It is very well kept. Kumar was an incredible host. My children are fans of the Cars movies and they were thrilled to stay at the hotel that inspired the "Cozy Cone" ON Route 66! Also, the historic "Do it in a Teepee" sign is stored in the back of the property. Even though it is from an era when the motel fell into a state of disrepute, Kumar is a good sport to keep it back there for a photo op. The rooms are cozy, but perfect for a night or two. We would certainly stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Angi H
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Nice, cozy "Tepee" style rooms - clean and recently renovated (slightly). We were finishing our route 66 trip and as part of the "experience" decided to stay in one of the most iconic motels from the bygone era. The rooms are on the small side, but clean and reasonably comfortable. There is not much room for clothing (no closet space) nor toiletries (no shelving in bathroom), but the linens are clean and the bed is comfortable. No coffee maker (have to go to office in the morning - hopefully they have purchased a new coffee maker as the one when we were there was on its last legs and took about an hour to brew) in the room, but a short morning walk is nice. The grounds are nicely manicured and very lush / green. Yeah, it's not the Ritz, but it's reasonably priced and worth at least a night's stay in one of the few remaining iconic route 66 motor hotels.

Room Tip: Althoght limited in number, try to get one of the "larger" king bed rooms - you'll hav...
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed a few days at the Wigwam Motel in San Bernardino, CA this December '12 and it was a real treat. Each "room" is a wigwam that contains a bed, flat screen TV, refrigerator, couch/sitting area and bathroom with shower. You get a specific parking space next to your wigwam, which makes it super convenient. The outside of the wigwam is deceiving because it doesn't look like it's very big inside, but it is! The owners obviously take pride in the property because our room was very clean and the grounds were very well maintained. There was an area with vintage cars, pool, BBQ area and lots of veggie plants growing around the perimeter, which added to the charm of this historic site. We got a wigwam away from the street and we enjoyed the quiet and luxury of not having to share walls with neighbors. The location is also very convenient as the motel is close by to lots of food (try Tacos Unicos, yum!), Walgreens and gas station.

I have to say one of my favorite parts of the trip was meeting the owner/manager Kumar Patel (Kumar, forgive me if I spelled your name wrong!). Kumar is extremely knowledgeable of Route 66, and he let us check out the office wigwam, which showed what the top of the teepee looks like -- so awesome! Staying at the Wigwam Motel made us feel like we were visiting good friends.

Thanks to the Patel family for keeping this historic property going so we can all continue to enjoy it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is further away from the street so that it's quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OceanLover2012
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night on our way through California. Very unique motel. Rooms were clean and staff very friendly. Nice tv's and beds were comfortable. Would stay here again if we were driving through. On famous Route 66.

• Stayed: December 2012
DoubleTree by Hilton San Bernardino
Quality Inn San Bernardino
Quality Inn San Bernardino
#14 of 33 in San Bernardino

Been to Wigwam Motel? Share your experiences!