“Only average- but this is history”
Review of Wigwam Motel

and 1 more site!
Wigwam Motel
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in San Bernardino
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Having driven Route 66 and missed staying here or the other Wigwam in Holbrook, I was determined to stay if I was ever in the vicinity.

There turned out to be a shortfall in my expectations. I booked on line with one of the many agents. One hour after checking in, the manageress was at the room saying that I was not properly booked as my computer printout did not have a confirmation number on it. She was unable to get through to the agency so insisted I paid again. This was easily resolved once back home by my Irish credit card provider but was some irritation on the day.
The hotel itself is very clean and tidy on the outside; clearly efforts have been made to bring this up to a modern standard. Inside was old fashioned as I had hoped but alas so was the AC (air con). It seems as if unseasonably warm September had produced an oven out of the wig wam. After more than an hour, it was clear that the AC was not bringing the temperature down and following my request we moved to another. Again the AC produced more noise than cold and we passed a very restless night in a room much hotter than the outside air temperature.

Previous comments note that the surrounding area is run down- it is but does not give too much cause for concern. Eating locally is also a limited experience.

But in the end, this is a piece of history, I am glad we stopped, after all, you have the rest of your life to spend in boring modern hotels is you wish.

1  Thank MidlandsRascal
Kumar P, Owner at Wigwam Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Hello,

Thank you for staying with us, an we are sorry that checking in was a bit difficult, always best to book direct on your next stay with us. We are glad that everything went smoothly and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kumar Patel

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Although obviously not a luxury hotel, it is a unique stay along Route 66. Our room (#16) was a good size, the a/c worked well, and the bed comfortable but there was no place to hang clothes, not even a hook. It would have been nice to have a couple of chairs outside the door, however the pool area is a nice place for relaxing. As others have said, the surrounding area is not great and there is not much in the way of restaurants so I would only recommend this for a one night stay.

3  Thank Landcruiser78
Reviewed October 8, 2012

It was a fun motel and a must for Route 66 travelers. Room was clean. Sure it had small windows, a shower that may be hard to use for taller people and little small, but it's still a must for at least one time for those driving the Mother Road. Not a lot in the area, had a hard time finding a place for dinner, but the area is safe and quite at night.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mlewis1
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Staying at the Wigwam Motel was a fun way to end our Route 66 road trip. The exterior and grounds are beautifully maintained. We found the interior quite dark due to the wigwam shape - very small windows. It was clean, but the bathroom and bedding could use some updating. Service was very friendly and efficient. There are no restaurants close by, but there was coffee available in the office in the morning.

2  Thank Wildrose204
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Loved this place! Room was nicely furnished, had decent air-con and all the amenities you might want. Bathroom was very clean and the shower was bigger than it looked. The novelty of staying here is nice but it was also one of the better places we stayed for comfort etc. Would definitely recommend it whether as part of a route 66 trip or something more local.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fiona S
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I booked the Wigwam Motel based on reviews I read on Tripadvisor and the fact that it is a unique experience to stay in one of the wigwams. It is located on Route 66 and the outside grounds are fun and kitschy. The grass is well-maintained and the pool looked inviting, although we didn't have time to utilize it. I was kind of thrown off when I registered at the front desk because the hotel ledger that you have to sign states that there is to be "no prostitution".....why would they even have to put that on their paperwork? Anyway, we got the larger queen room and it was very clean. The furniture is pretty new but I feel like they should really decorate the inside of the teepees a little bit....no pictures on the wall, nothing playing up the ambiance of staying in an original wigwam. The room had a mini-fridge, tv, a couple of table top lamps, and a comfortable bed. The tile in the bathroom looks original to the hotel but as noted before, everything was clean. They had a wicker basket with individual toothpaste samples, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. There wasn't a blow dryer in the room so be sure and pack your own. The toilet paper was pretty flimsy. The room was very quiet and all in all, not a bad place to stay. I wouldn't want to stay there for more than a couple of days at the most, but for a day or two, it is worth it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is a great place to stay. We were traveling to Hollywood during our vacation and thought this would be a great addition to our sights to see and enjoy. This is a must stay place on Route 66. The room was very roomy for my husband, my son and I. The beds were very comfortable and the room very clean. The bathroom was clean and had great water pressure, the shower was a little small but very well maintained. The grass is wonderful to take your shoes off and walk through. We really enjoyed our stay and highly recommend if you are traveling there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family