“Great location, fair hotel”

Residence Inn San Bernardino
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in San Bernardino
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We spent two nights at the Residence Inn in San Bernardino. We had a lot of family to house, so we rented a two bedroom suite and 2 other one bedroom suites. The location is fabulous, with Sam's Club and Costco within walking distance, as well as In and Out Burger, WalMart, and a host of restaurants and other shops. It was also an easy in and out, as it is close to the freeway. They have a pretty decent breakfast and the rooms were clean.

My only complaints:

*There was nowhere to open up a suitcase except for on the bed. There was no luggage rack and the space on the dresser was taken up by the non-movable TV.
*The pull out couch bed was in terrible condition as it was missing several connecting springs to the frame. It was unusable. Unfortunately, by the time we pulled it out for the (late) night, all the roll away beds were taken and we ended up putting the (poor) mattress on the floor.
*The dishwasher was incredibly loud--like it sounded like an airplane in the room. I've never heard a dishwasher so loud.
*We confirmed that check out was noon, but when we came back from our morning activities, we were locked out of our rooms at 11:00. The staff quickly helped us out and let us in so we could get our luggage and get out.
*The kitchens are under stocked. We bought food from Costco, but had a hard time finding enough dishes to eat off of.

In all, this was a decent place to stay and the staff we encountered were kind and agreeable.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Regina F, General Manager at Residence Inn San Bernardino, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking time to share your comments. We as a team appreciate hearing from guests as it assists us in making immediate corrections. I'm sorry we did not respond sooner but want you to know that we recognize you as a valuable traveler and appreciate your thoughts. We have scheduled in 2013 a refurbishment of many of the goods you mentioned so I hope we will have the pleasure of having with us again to showcase our remodeled property. If I can ever be of assistance please let me know.

Thank you again!

Reviewed March 19, 2012

I made a reservation for a Saturday stay over on a trip between Sonoma and Phoenix. Saturday afternoon, I realized we were not going to make it out of Sonoma, so I changed the date of the reservation to Sunday on the online reservations system. The reservation change showed a new rate that was considerably higher than my original "senior" rate, but that was fine, since it was a last minute change. However, when I attempted to check in on Sunday, I was informed "Your reservation was for yesterday and we've already charged you as a 'no show'". I was informed that only the manager, Moses, had authority to make adjustments, but figured I'd have no problem rectifying the situation. How wrong I was. Although I was promised that the manager would get in touch with me, only after multiple attempts days later did he respond. He implied that the whole thing was my fault and that I was a senile dolt who was either an idiot or trying to scam him. Even after repeated calls to Marriott Customer care, the manager is going out of his way to be unaccommodating. Rather than reversing the 'no show' charge, he's offering a free night at the hotel (and that only after considerable prodding by customer care). Feels rather like finding a bug in the soup and being offered a second helping as compensation! On the positive side, the room was pleasant enough and extremely clean. It doesn't make up for the awful customer service behavior. You'll be happier staying somewhere else, especially if you happen to be a 'senior'.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Moises A, General Manager at Residence Inn San Bernardino, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Dear loyal traveler,

I like to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced on your most recent trip to our hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to explain that the reason we offered you a free night certificate is because the value of the certificate is much higher than the "no show" charge that was posted. With the free night certificate you can stay at ANY Residence Inn worldwide. Whether the room is listed at $90 per night or $300 per night, the certificate would take care of the charge. I really do apologize for the misunderstanding and would be more than happy to reverse the charges if this certificate is not something that you want to keep.

I would like to wish you and your family safe and happy travels!

Looking forward to your response,

Moises Ambriz

Reviewed November 11, 2011

Spent two nights at the San Bernardino Residence Inn as our daughter was scheduled for surgery at Loma Linda. We rented the two room suite so we could have plenty of privacy.

The two room suite was clean, neat and comfortable. There was a Whirlpool electric range and microwave oven to cook with. There was a full size refrigerator available too. All were clean and in good condition.

The cupboard had the usual Residence Inn dinnerware, silverware and cookware. Nothing fancy but you could get by in a pinch. There were no measuring cups or spoons to be found but again this is typical for a Residence Inn. Be sure to bring along something to measure with, if you plan to cook.

My only complaint was one of the toilets was not operating correctly when we rented the room. It was very noisy and tended to spit water at you after flushing. As were checking out the toilet clogged up completely.

The motel was situated near a retail complex that included a Best Buy. This was good as we had to purchase an Ethernet cord for secure web surfing as the Residence Inn wireless connection was unsecured.

We had no problems with theft, although we parked the car near the front entrance. We also removed all valuables from the room before leaving.

We ate breakfast only at the San Bernardino Residence Inn. Other Residence Inns seemed to provide a bit better spread, and a bit more variety, than was offered here. Both days scrambled eggs and potatoes of some kind were offered. Waffles and oatmeal were available too. Breakfast breads were a bit skimpy as only muffins (no danish or doughnuts) and a selection of breads were available.

All and all the motel was adequate and having the extra privacy was worth staying here.

Finally, the Residence Inn is located approximately three miles from Loma Linda Medical Center.

Recommend.

Room Tip: Good place to stay if you want privacy and need to visit Loma Linda Medical Center.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MissDaisy
Moises A, General Manager at Residence Inn San Bernardino, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment about or hotel. We appreciate the kind words and great feedback. We hope to see you back soon! Happy Holidays!

Reviewed September 22, 2011

Nice place, too bad the Manager Moises [--] has limited customer service skills. I needed to leave early since my business in town was done and typically am charged a half day rate at most other locations for the late check out. This guy refused to accommodate my request. What a pain. Make sure you stay your scheduled time, it is like Hotel California, you can “check in but can't check out”.

Room Tip: Make sure you stay your scheduled time, it is like Hotel California, you can “check in but can't...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Dua L

I would like to apologize once again for not being able to meet your request. Our hotel has always tried to accommodate late checkouts because we understand that sometimes schedules may be a little hectic or meetings may run a little late and a guest may need an extra hour or two past checkout time. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer half day rates for guest needing to check out in the late afternoons. Thank you for your honest and very helpful feedback. We wish you the best on your upcoming travels and hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

A solid 3 stars, probably a 4 in the category. Clean room. Comfortable bedding. Good lighting. Usual good--sized kitchen/eating area. Quiet. Good breakfast, with typical Residence Inn just enough seating for the guests. Good location (restaurants, freeway, shopping). Friendly desk staff. Very good rates. We were there during a heat wave, and the room stayed comfortable at all times. The refrigerator is quiet.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank tonybruin92
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Spent two nights at this property in June. Comfortable room with the standard Residence Inn stuff: separate living area, kicthenette, etc. There is a nice-size indoor pool and a sports court and a small patio area with a BBQ. One of the nights we were there the staff barbequed hamburgers and hotdogs and set up a small dinner buffet in the dining area. That allowed us to hang out by the pool with the kids and saved us the cost of another meal out. The breakfast set-up was good and included several hot items each morning. It's right off the freeway and close to several chain restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank gbtrotter
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Items were stolen out of my room and the manager did not even care she just stood up for the thief and never replaced my lost item. I will never stay at a residence inn again she left a bad taste in my mouth. If you should decide to stay here please please take all your items with you.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
DoubleTree by Hilton San Bernardino
Ayres Hotel Redlands
Ayres Hotel Redlands
#1 of 9 in Redlands

Been to Residence Inn San Bernardino? Share your experiences!