“Great heavily-sauced barbeque. Excellent value. Not the best neighborhood. No A/C.”
Review of Bobby Ray's Bar-B-Que - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bobby Ray's Bar-B-Que
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed June 2, 2009

First, it's important to understand that Bobby Ray's is a local, family-owned restaurant in a rough neighborhood. If pick-up football games with shirtless teenagers in the parking lot outside your window bother you, you probably don't want to eat here. If the occasional, possibly intoxicated vagrant loitering around the building unsettles you, you'll likely want to go elsewhere. Or call in your order, pick it up quickly and leave. Also, there is no A/C. The staff will usually offer to position a fan next to your table during hotter weather but you'll probably still sweat if you visit during daylight in the Summer.

These things don't stop my wife and I from eating here at least once a month. We've never had an incident with anyone threatening or otherwise mistreating us and we are usually the only ones in the restaurant who are obviously not from the neighborhood. The staff and other patrons have always been friendly.

I'm a bit miffed by other reviews mentioning high prices and small portions. Even the people I know who don't like Bobby Ray's agree that the prices are low and the portions are large. The Rib Dinner, for $10 is a large stack of ribs with baked beans and potato salad. I am not a light eater and I can just barely finish it by myself. For reference, my wife and I average about $38 at Famous Dave's with one drink and no dessert and we leave with no leftovers. We have never spent more than $25 at Bobby Ray's and when we did, we left with enough food for lunch the next day. We usually share the Rib Dinner and a side of potato salad and spend about $15.

As for the food, it is not gourmet-style barbeque with light-sauce or dry-rub with interesting, carefully chosen seasonings intended to excite your sense of edible artistry. It is heavily-sauced, smokey barbeque that's tender and moist when it comes slow-cooked out of the giant grill in front of the restaurant. If that sounds like a good taste to you, you should taste Bobby Ray's barbecue.

1  Thank walbodiddy

Reviewed May 23, 2009

This is the worse bbq place ever! The ribs were dry and were definitely NOT tender! The potatoe salad was undescribable; I refused to take a second bite fearing it was old. I had heard various opinions about this place and decided to try it; I should have known to keep it moving when I saw the numerous of thugs hanging out smoking marijuana. If you want bbq try Woody's or even Dan the BBQ Man.

Reviewed February 7, 2009

OMG..Ok where do I start..This was the absolute WORSE bar-b-q I have EVER had..in my life..I ordered two combination plates, pork ribs and some kind of pull pork crap...it was bad..all of which taste like it had not been seasoned..the potaoe salad was oh so bad I scraped it out of the foam plates. The pull pork or whatever, I thought I ordered a brisket was so bad that I still have not decided what it taste like...PAINT WITH STRING! GOD IT WAS BAD!

The pork ribs were tough and barely luke warm..the food is over rated over priced and the portions are small..which is good as the food really sucks.

You are served by some teenage boy, with out his hair combed, with whinos sitting all around the front of the place!

I will never go back into that hell hole..disappointed.

I would not recomend this place to my dog..so definitely not you..dont waste your money or valuable time! This place should be closed down.

I GIVE FIVE STARS to Famouse Dave's, WOODYS BAR B QUE...but, this crap hole BOBBY RAYS GETS ZERO ZILCH NADA STARS. I am 40 Years old and have not ever eaten in a worse place...and I have eaten all over the world...and in some funky joints with some darn good food! But, this place BOBBY RAYS is, and I mean the worse place I have ever eaten...I want my 25.00 dollars back!

1  Thank SURFBOYS
Reviewed April 29, 2008

Bobby Ray's has become an area staple. This is simply some of the best barbecue outside of the south. The food is second to none. I would have called this excellent if it weren't for the location. Bobby Ray's is in a very rough and dangerous neighborhood. It can be, at times, quite uncomfortable to visit. Despite that, I find myself visiting Bobby Ray's at least once a month. It easily compares to some of the famous southern barbecues that I have visited.

2  Thank prosellis
Reviewed January 22, 2008

We used to drive from Corona to Bobby Ray's. That was our favorite, and still is after almost 20 years! It's always excellent. Sugar Ray has been there, any body of importance in the city has been there. Pastors could tell you how to get there. And if you don't know something about San Bernardino, Bobby can give you the real deal.

2  Thank Pastorgem