“Castaway in Burbank is so much nicer”

Castaway Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 316 Restaurants in San Bernardino
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I've been to the Castaway in Burbank on multiple occasions (date, celebrations). I even had my Birthday party there 2 years ago in the Lagoon Room. I came to the San Bernardino one with my brother-in-law, his GF and my husband on Sunday 3/2/14 for Brunch. The one thing I did notice right away was the price. It's cheaper to dine here for brunch compared to Burbank. However, San Bernardino Castaway does not have brunch on Saturdays.

BURBANK
Saturday Brunch $29.95
Sunday Brunch $36.95

SAN BERNARDINO
Sunday Brunch $24.95 (before 10AM), $29.95 (after 10AM)

We called to make a reservation and they don't pick up the phone! We tried multiple times too. So we just ended up making a reservation online.

As we pulled up into the parking lot, I guess there's no valet (like Burbank). We circled around before finding a spot.

We made a reservation, but once we arrived we still had to wait about 10 minutes. It's kind of awkward in the front, there's no where to wait and very congested. A lot of the staff, people waiting, and people trying to get food.....

Is there no dress code at this Castaway? The dress code has always been "Smart Casual" (Dress to Impress, Jeans are OK, but don't wear tees, sneakers or informal wear). I saw folks who looked like straight up Gs here with caps, baggy pants, and flannels...)

Had a decent view outside, however if you look down you see some people's houses and they aren't that nice looking (sorry to say).
Food was delicious, BUT they don't refill their food fast enough. Almost all the dishes I wanted to try were empty and we kept checking back every 10 minutes, but still empty! By the time I was getting my dessert, they were finally bringing more sushi and Chile Verde out! (argh!!).

They didn't have the guy grilling outside at this one or a person making Banana Fosters either (boo...)

Our server was nice and she was constantly asking if we wanted more Champagne or Mimosas.

Overall, it was just okay. If I wanted to impress somebody, I would take them to the Burbank location. Since this one is closer to my house now, I would come back again with my hubby and family though.

1  Thank Charlene C
There are newer reviews for Castaway Restaurant

Reviewed March 15, 2014

We've been here a few times when in the area mostly because it is above the city and has a nice view. But the entrees have on and off, too much of a swimming sauce or cheese, under seasoned, or a bad cut of meat that had to be sent back for better. Other times everything was good. The pesto spread is really delicious that is brought with the bread and can always count on that although not enough for all the bread in the basket. The sangria is a great choice for a beverage.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

This Sunday Brunch has a great price especially if you arrived before 10:00am. $24.95 b/4, $29.95 after. Lamb cooked perfect. Make absolutely sure you ask to sat in Shawnna's section. She is the Best server ever. Wanted for nothing. She was always there when you need her. Champagne glass always full too. Friendly and helpful. She knew it was our first time and gave us the full tour. Thanks Shawnna!!!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We came here to celebrate my sister-in-law's 50th birthday. My family gave me a surprise party 5 years ago here.I guess my sister-in-law liked my party here so much that she wanted to have one here even though she lives in central California.Everyone seemed to enjoy the buffet which included roast beef, pasta, rice pilaf, salad, etc. Each banquet room has room for dancing too. The views of the city are spectacular here. This is a great place to come for dinner for a special occasion or just to have a drink and enjoy the view.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

the castaway was my dream to get to when i lived there and i have visited several times now and had nothing but excellent service and food each time. if you are not on a budget and want a great view, meal, and service, this is an excellent choice! one of my favorite places in the area!