“Romantic Atmosphere”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The Castaway in San Bernardino has been a favorite place for our family for over 20 years. The managers and servers are so welcoming a friendly. They make us feel like great friends every time we go there. The food is very good. We usually go early and ask for the Sunset menu which includes a salad, a choice of four entrees, and dessert all for a great price! I think it's offered until 6:00pm. Along with the great service and food, another favorite part about the restaurant is the incredible view of the valley. On nice days, you can dine outside, but most tables in the restaurant offer the amazing view. This is also an great place to have a private party or wedding. We hosted our son's wedding rehearsal dinner in one of the VIP rooms and it was a night to remember! We have many wonderful memories at the Castaway in San Bernardino. It's tucked away in a secluded area, but it's definitely worth finding!

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Castaways has been a San Bernardino institution since at least the 1960s, although throughout much of the 1990s it was an "event center" for weddings and not-so-memorable catered event meals. I do not know when the latest owners turned it back into a restaurant, but it is nice this great location has been converted back into a nice restaurant, with a top-notch view and nice options for dinner.

Until this past fall, the last time I visited was when it was a rent-by-the-night event center for business meetings and weddings in the late 90s and mid-2000. I heard from a friend that they were open as a bona-fide restaurant and have eaten twice with my family in the past couple of months. The regular menu offers the usual selections of steaks (rib-eye, prime rib, NY strip), fish (halibut, salmon, and swordfish), with the priciest option the rack of lamb at $36. They have an early-bird prie-fix offering (the "sunset menu") of soup or salad, choice of 4 entrees (chicken, salmon, prime rib, or pasta), and cheesecake for $17.95. Our salmon was great, the prime-rib very tender and well presented, and the service has been a mixed-bag: one trip was outstanding, the other just average. But the food each time was excellent, and a great value when considering the location and food quality. They also have a craft beer menu, and very nice wine list.

There is a nice bar off to the side of the restaurant, with happy-hour and "bar food" specials. The dining room is very quiet, although not as classy: as, say, a Dwayne's at the Mission Inn or even Greensleve's in Redlands (do not expect then to put your napkin in your lap or scrape your table after your entree). But the overall ambiance beats both of those choices, with service at least on our second visit as good or even better than higher-class restaurants - and the view.... well, just know the view of the valley from the restaurant makes for a memorable experience.

Bottom line - good to great service, excellent food, and reasonable (or at least fair) prices. I would love to visit on a Sunday for brunch. Maybe next time!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had a friend call ahead to book a Sunday dinner options at the Castaway. The restaurant offered a 3 course pre fixed meal for $30. when she booked she asked about the 3 course meal and asked if it would be abailable when we booked the time,
The 3 course was not available when we arrived that Sunday, that was a bad start
Me and my friends got a table outside, The it had taken a few mins before the waitress arrived and told us that that specials ends at 5pm. so we decided to order drinks and appetizers.
The waitress had come back a few times asking what kinda drinks we ordered, i also ordered a water with no ice during the start of the service and got a water with ice 45mins later when i got my check.

Long story short, Great View so, so service, i have not been able to give the castaway a second chance because i live in new york and my first impression was not that great

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have been to The Castaway many times, mostly for brunch. It has always been a great experience for me. The view is spectacular both during the day and at night. The food is wonderful. My favorite is the castaway chicken! During brunch, the champagne is free-flowing, there is usually a live musician inside, it's nice to be able to go outside and sit on the patio and enjoy the view. During the summer, they have live jazz with dancing, on the patio on Friday evenings. Makes for a really nice way to unwind from your work week, with a drink, appetizer, good music and spectacular views! We have celebrated many occasions here, including my daughter's high school graduation, and will continue to do so in the future. In a couple of years, I plan to have my 50th birthday blowout here in one of their banquet rooms because having my daughter's party here was such a big hit!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Wow! Went here with my wife for Sunday brunch. We saw it featured on some TV program and had to try it. Even though it was an hour drive, we made it a fun day driving up into the mountains after brunch. The selection was incredible and the quality of the food was OUTSTANDING! Oh, yeah, the restaurant is on a hill, so the view was spectacular. Service was great and the price was fair. WE WILL GO BACK!!

1  Thank FasTxn