“Pretty good! Packed on a Tuesday night!”
Review of El Torito

El Torito
Ranked #26 of 313 Restaurants in San Bernardino
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Atlanta, Georgia
“Pretty good! Packed on a Tuesday night!”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was my first El Torito experience. I was leery upon entering the restaurant, as I was carded and wanded with a metal detector by a security guard.

I sat in the bar and was greeted promptly by a server.

Chips and salsa came next. The chips were fairly average, but the salsa was some of the best I've ever had.

I ordered a drink and the steak quesadilla and watched some baseball.

The mojito was average. It came in a pilsner glass that was full of ice. There was a ton of mint/cilantro in the drink which was a turn off.

The quesadillas were awesome. They were very hot and stuffed with meat and cheese.

All in all, I'd come back. I'd probably stick to ordering a beer or a margarita and avoid the mojito.

• Visited September 2013

Big Bear Lake CA
“El Torito in San Bernardino was good!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have had bad luck at a few El Torito restaurants, but went to the El Torito in San Bernardino off of Hospitality Rd. across from La Quinta, and I can say excellent service, excellent food, over all everything was great!

Visited July 2013
Inland Empire, CA
“Shady bartending practices”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Wanted to write a quick review about our experience and to warn you about some shady bartending.

The three of us sat in the bar for a quick dinner before a play. There was one server for the entire bar area, and the service was very slow. We ordered 3 cadillac margaritas, one of them (mine) was a premium Patron margarita (the most expensive margarita). The girls' maragritas arrived without mine. I thought that was weird since there were only 3 or 4 tables occupied in the bar.

My attention was drawn to the bartender because I was wondering why my drink didn't come with the others. I watched as the bartender made a drink with his back to me. I see him reach for the generic triple sec bottle and pour it in the drink. I thought, "well that drink isn't mine since it is made with Patron Citronge (premium orange liquor). Well guess where the drink came to? I immediately walked over to the well where the bartender made my drink and confirmed the generic triple sec.

The server came over when she saw me and asked if I needed help. I told her what I saw, and she asked the bartender (in spanish) if he made a Patron margarita using Citronge. He offered to make another drink, she apologized and said he didn't use the Citronge. I went back to the table and watched as he made the drink, now using the Citronge but no Patron tequila. I thought maybe I missed him pouring the tequila, but the drink came and tasted like orange juice. WTF!

I sent the drink back again and ordered a plain cadillac margarita, but now about 30 minutes has passed and the girls are already on their second round. The food came and was good, but my whole experience was soured thinking that maybe El Torito does this on a regular basis - substituting well liquor for your premium drinks. I thought maybe the bartender just didn't know what he was doing, but after watching him make several drinks he appeared to know what he was doing.

The server apologized several times for what the bartender did, and made a big deal to let me know when the bill came that she didn't charge me for the premium drink (really? Thank you for not charging me for the drinks that were sent back).

I spoke to the manager on the way out (didn't want dirty looks from the bartender while we were eating). He offered to buy me a drink. Haha! Really? Would that be a premium drink made with well liquor? Keep an eye on your drinks while they are made here....

• Visited June 2013
Palm Springs, California
“Great Brunch!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Yesterday my partner and I went for Sunday brunch. We both thought it was great. They had a good selection of standard and Mexican breakfast items, some main courses, veggies, salads, an omelette station, taco station, and desserts. Honestly, everything we had was good, such as shrimp ceviche, waffles, and rice pudding. It is true that the service isn't so great here. However, the server was very nice....just not super "on it." But for brunch and mainly self-service, it didn't really matter that much to us. Overall, we had a wonderful meal, and will certainly return.

• Visited June 2013
San Bernardino, California
“Disappointed”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have been very satisfied in the past with this El Torito but not any more.I always loved the fajitas but I wouldn't order them anymore.The steak was not the same quality.It was a different cut of beef and was hard to chew.The server was horrible.She didn't seem to know the menu and we had to keep asking her for things.We had to ask for more chips, salsa, for the tortillas that come with the fajitas, for take home boxes, etc.I ordered NO Cheese on ANYTHiNG and she brought out my enchilada covered with cheese.It was on Tuesday night, not the weekend and the restaurant section was not crowded at all.Do yourself a favor and order from a good Mexican restaurant in your neighborhood. We came to celebrate a special occasion but the service here certainly put a damper on that.

• Visited May 2013