“Relaxing Lunch at Insalata” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Insalata's Restaurant

Insalata's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Insalata's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 45 Restaurants in San Anselmo
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Barber
Transit: Sir Francis Drake at Barber
country
“Relaxing Lunch at Insalata”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

I enjoyed the ambience of this restaurant more than the actual food I ate, but others at the table were happy. Exterior is lushly draped in very heavy foliage, so it is dark and cool inside - San Anselmo can be hot in the summer, but weather was perfect that day. Full bar and seating area; we had lunch in a dining area. Great coffee (of course). I had a fried chicken sandwich which suggested it was marinated in yoghurt. No yoghurt at all, and the chicken pieces tasted like what I buy frozen with a bit of pickle. The frites on the side were billed as fresh - maybe? or maybe potato chips? My son had a great eggs benedict which he very much enjoyed and my mother loved the fattoush (but I prefer Lebanese fattoush - not enough lemon).

• Visited June 2014

Mountain View, CA
“Very good food in pleasant dining room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

We wish this place was closer to our home so that we could visit from time to time.

The food was of the highest quality, and the menu included a mix of standard and more exotic choices. For appetizers, we tried the soup (puree of white bean) and the fried "cigars" filled with vegetables. Both were great. For entrees, the chicken tagine was very flavorful (a tad salty) and the flounder fresh and delicate. For some reason, the chicken was a huge portion and the fish small-- the mismatch seemed odd. For dessert, we tried the Apricot Blackberry crisp. This was perhaps the only disappointing moment of the evening. The apricot bits were not ripe (not tasty) at all, and, though there was no mention of it on the menu, there seemed to be almond or almond extract inside-- too bad since I really don't like almond flavor. I've never seen almond in a crisp before.

Service was fine. The dining room is large and nicely decorated. Even though the place was full, it was easy to talk, which was great.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Needagoodbed
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An absolute delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Every course my husband and I sampled was delicious. I'm not a huge pork chop fan but when the chef recommended it for my meal I decided to try it. I'm very happy I did, because it was the best I've ever had and would definitely order it again.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank triblue3
San Rafael, California
“Insalata's is a Feel Good Place...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

We had an impromptu birthday dinner for our daughter, and Insalata not only accommodated us, they made it special. The food is fresh, whole, and tasty. Great wine list. The servers are top notch. It is a bit more expensive but not crazy expensive for the fantastic atmosphere and what you receive.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Robertiskute
San Anselmo, California
“Fresh California-Mediterranian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

Great atmosphere, good quality, changing menu with a few standard favorites, a tad expensive but worth it.

Visited November 2013