“New management doesn't mean you should change the menu”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Travertine Grill - CLOSED

Travertine Grill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol
“New management doesn't mean you should change the menu”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

I started eating at the Travertine the second day they were open. It was good with quite a menu. Living in the middle of nowhere the resturant was what the residents needed.

It has now changed owners and management a few time. The last time I went there the food was substandard and the typically slow service moved at a snails pace. We couldn't wait to leave. From now on we will just keep driving into Palm Desert when we want to go out.

2 Thank Lammygirl

El Cajon,CA
“Mixed Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

Some of the food is great on some days and other days the same food is not anywhere near as good. The prices are a bit steep. I can not for the life of me fathom paying 10 bucks for a hamburger. However, as a local with kids, I find value in the pizza. As you know, there isn't much in the area and they can usually have a pizza ready in about 10 minutes or so. However, I wish they would set a standard on how the food is prepared. It seems as if there are 10 different cooks and not a single one cooks anything the way any of the others do. I can not pick a favorite item on the menu as the flavor is consistently different each time I visit. Like tonight I just ordered a pizza and the quality was very poor, but 3 days ago, the pizza was bomb. It gets frustrating.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank Tod_and_Jacque
California
“Good food, Great Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

I've been to the Travertine on several occasions, and generally have a great experience.
I love the Ribs, Prime Rib, and Nachos! The service though friendly can be a bit slow, but when you have small children as we do, any type of a wait seems like forever. I recommend eating outside on the patio if you have kids, then they can run around during the wait.

• Visited December 2011
Temecula
“Liked It!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

Camping in Ocotillo SVRA this past New Years, took a ride with 3 families from Cahuilla/Commune "roads" to Travertine. This was actually the second time we've been here, stopped on our way to camping on Holly Rd in October and had really good breakfast burritos (expensive but HUGE, really are a meal for two). This time it was pretty busy, with several other pretty big riding groups stopping in to eat. First, it appears to be a fairly new building (as opposed to the many other medieval dwellings in the area), kept clean and with a pretty nice atmosphere. If you are riding non-street legal bikes in the desert know that this is a very common stop for others like you and there appears to be no law-enforcement issues with making this pitstop and parking the bikes/quads around the building. So the fifteen of us (lots of breeders here) were quickly accommodated with seating and we got comfortable and checked the menu. The menu has lots of variety, decent prices. You're not going to get taco-shop prices but you're not getting totally gouged either. My family of 5 (including two teens and a kindergartener) ate and drank (sodas) very well for $60, including tip. Quality of food was good. Between our group we had burritos, pizza, burgers and more. None of us complained about the food, and most of us in fact really liked what we were eating. My burger was great. I tried a piece of the cheese pizza and it was really good! I noticed some other reviewers mention not liking the pizza, but all of us who tried it actually liked it a lot, and there are some very picky people included in this group! The only negative we had here was the wait-time, it was REALLY long! We first waited too long to get order taken. Then we waited almost an hour (!?!) before food was brought out, and then everyone but my wife and I got there food but our part of the order was apparently lost. I'm sure us being a group of 15, plus there being several other pretty big groups that came in right before us had much to do with the long wait. And it being such a large order, we didn't get too bent out of shape about the order mistake, though it still should have been fixed a bit quicker than it was. We weren't in a big hurry, it was a break in the middle of a long family ride so we were just relaxing and hanging out, so it didn't ruin the day at all, especially with the food being so good. I do think it's still worth mentioning though that they don't appear to be too well equipped to handle a big rush of business. I definitely wouldn't come here if I was in any kind of big rush. Oh, lastly, the servers were all very friendly and for the most part did a good job.
For those not knowing where this place is, it's about 100 yards from the big Arco gas station on S-22 and 86.

• Visited December 2011
Colorado Rockies
“Would never go back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

Interesting how all the recent 5 star reviews aren't "regular" tripadvisor posters and have all only posted just this one review.

We've housesitting here and the owners, before they left said they didn't recommend this place - but the place they DID recommend was closed due to electrical issues and we didn't want to cook.

We entered and it looked like a decent place, even if only a couple customers at 6 pm on a Thurs night. We were told to "sit anywhere." Our choices to sit were by the door (noisy group in a nearby table), across from the restroom - we settled in a booth across from the bar, then realized it smelled like a dirty/unclean bar. But, we stayed.

Reviewd the menu - they serve "Mexican, BBQ, burgers and Italian" - I suggested that we should know better, as no restaurant can excel in all those.

I asked the waitress what she recommended/what the locals ordered most. She could only come up with 2 suggestions. Ribs or Blue CheeseBurger. In the meantime, ordered iced tea and house red wine. The wine was delivered in a discustingly dirty glass. I stepped up to the unattended bar area, thinking I'd find a "clean glass" on the shelf - they were all tacky, dirty, dusty or crusty. Yuk - I returned the wine and ordered a beer in a bottle.

She apologized and said that with the hard water here (yes, we know that and yes, with very hard water, there can be more spots and soap doesn't work as well) was the problem. Sorry, that doesn't cut it. . crusty crap on the outside of glasses is just plain dirty.

The waitress never offered to refill the empty iced tea.

Salads came. A decent selection of dark greens, tomato, cheese, croutons, more - BUT, some of the greens were turning black and yuck! The vinegar and oil cruets the waitress brought to the table with my salad were DISGUSTINGLY dirty and grungy on the outsides. The catsup bottle outside was greasy and crusty.

We should have left, and if there were more local options, we would have, but we perservered.

BBQ Ribs arrived, yukky pale red sauce that tasted of doctored up catsup. The "meat" was okay but no smoke flavor. Think they are boiled and/or baked, surely not smoked. They were "out" of baked potatoes at 6 pm, so I relented with my hubby and ordered fries. I'm NOT one to eat deep fried food generally, but they WERE tasty,crispy fries.

The red cabbage (at least something healthy) cole slaw was slopped on the plate, hanging over the edge, too much mayo and pretty boring. I generally LIKE cole slaw and ate just 1/3 it was so bad. The "chili beans" - my hubby SWEARS they were just canned Hormel Chili Beans topped with cheese. I had a bite and had no interest in more. (I figured, how bad can a restaurant close to the Mexican border with a sign that says "Best Mexican Food in Town" screw up chili beans. . . well, they were awful!)

We almost always tip 20% for good service. This waitress got 10%. She never offered to adjust the bill. Disappeared for long periods of time. Knew we weren't happy with the food but offered nothing.

The ONLY good thing. For this horrible meal, the bill was $44 with tip. But, when we left, my hubby struck up a conversation with an incoming guest. Then, he spotted 2 $20 bills in the parking lot! Thank you God - you returned our wasted money.

Oh, some interesting "history" of the area on the walls and the restaurant "looked" decent enough, but surely, they could use a new chef, staff and management!

I'm guessing nobody else in Salton City serves BBQ or Mexican since there are big signs out front saying "Best BBQ in town" and "Best Mexican Food in Town" - yah, right.

• Visited January 2012