“Great value”

Best Western Salinas Monterey Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Salinas
Reviewed May 1, 2008

Great value for the money. Room was clean and orderly.
I stayed at the King Suite, with convenient microwave, frig, 2 TVs, etc. Room temperature was perfect. Front desk was very efficient & friendly.
The only problem was the noise from nearby highway 101, which was a problem for me since I'm a light sleeper.
Nice location, though as access to the highway is a block away. Restaurant is across the parking lot, and In N Out Burgers is also within a block.
No complaints!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Bed Bug 66

Reviewed October 25, 2007

The freeway noise was almost lulling when the people upstairs stopped slamming doors and banging around. Sounded like they were practicing for a tumbling meet, and it lasted all night!! Not a very nice part of town.

There was plaster falling off the wall in the bathroom and no venting fan. There was a suspiciously dingy rim around the edges of the carpet.

I was not given the correct government rate as promised, and the hotel was definitely NOT full. I travel on business, so I'll have to make up the difference between the government rate and the amount I was charged. The hotel staff was disinterested when I attempted to discuss it. The only good thing I have to say is that Margie's Diner that is in the same parking lot is great!

I left the hotel next morning and went to the Residence Inn where I received a better rate.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed October 11, 2007

My wife and I were on a 2-week road trip from SoCal throughout the Pacific Northwest and wanted to stay our first night a bit south of San Francisco. We selected the Best Western Salinas Monterey Hotel based upon having been very satisfied with this property about five years ago. It was a fine hotel then and is still a very good property today.

On the positive side is its great location close to a freeway offramp. The rooms are clean, well laid out and comfortable. On the negative side, and this is one of my pet peeves, the lighting could be much better. Unfortunately, many hotels give little thought to guests being able to sit in a chair or lay in bed and have adequate lighting for reading. This hotel is no exception. I was also disappointed that only rubber pillows were available in the room as I have difficulty sleeping when my head is raised significantly on a lump of rubber. Feather pillows are much more comfortable in my opinion.

Our room was conveniently located on the first floor, however, quite a bit of foot thumping could be heard from the occupants of the floor above.

The breakfast at this hotel would be considered as "adequate". Certainly nothing special but sufficient to get you on your way in the morning.

I noted a problem that another reviewer had with the fact that there are two Best Western hotels located on Kern Street in Salinas. Somehow the staff at these two properties need to do a better job in assisting travelers when there's confusion and the guests arrive at the wrong hotel. To have the person who wrote the other review charged for both the correct and the incorrect hotel for the same night is an injustice.

While my written review of this hotel looks to be somewhat negative, I did enjoy my stay there and would use this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2007

I made an Internet reservation from Sonoma for the Best Western in Salinas on Kern St. When I arrived, no reservation was in the system. The clerk said that happens all the time--but there was a room available and I took it. I asked if I would be billed for the Internet reservation, he said no. My Visa bill arrives with TWO charges for Best Western. I call, find out there are TWO Best Westerns on Kern St. I went to the "other one" and was charged for the one I made the Internet reservation for, as well as the one I stayed in. I was offered a "discount" for future stays. I think my "future" stay will be in another hotel chain. In the middle of the night (after 9:00 p.m.) following a three-hour drive from the race track in Sonoma where i photographed the Indycar race, it was reasonable to assume that the Best Western on Kern Street was THE ONLY BW hotel--and I was told subsequently that when this happened in the past--and it HAS on many occasions--the clerk routinely refers the traveler to the OTHER HOTEL near the one where I stayed. This obviously wasn't done in my case. Pfui.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed September 5, 2007

Nice place to stay, room clean, convenient location. Took less than 2 minutes to check in. Free breakfast could be better and swimming pool is not heated. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 24, 2007

This is a good place to stay if you're visiting the Monterey/Carmel area and don't want to pay the expensive prices there! Check-in was very easy. Room was easy to find, clean, spacious and cozy. Even had a fridge, microwave, iron and hair dryer! Very comfortable bed, and very quiet room. Great location, close to the freeways for visiting different places. Didn't try any of the local dining, but I hear that Margie's Diner (right across the way) is good. The only two not so positive things - the ceiling in the shower had some water damage and peeling. Also - our room key wouldn't allow us to access the stairs to the room from the outside. All in all - a great experience, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nickel128
Reviewed June 19, 2007

Stopped there in the middle of our trip to San Francisco. It was late and we werre tired. What a wonderful surprise!! Very comfortable and cozy room, with microwave and fridge... just wonderful!!

Stayed: June 2007