“Dirty Pizza box in dresser drawer, cookie packaging in bedside locker”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Salinas
Reviewed February 14, 2011

We stayed here for one night as part of a road trip. We arrived and the staff were nice at checking and everything seemed fine. We went to our room which was by some noisy vending machines. The rooms had an odd smell to it so we turned on the aircon. Later that even we found cookie wrappers in the bedside locker and a dirty greasy pizza box in the dresser. It was obvious that this room had not been cleaned properly which made us concerned for the rest of the cleanliness. On checkout we informed the staff of the room and they said they would pass it on the manager. We never heard back (3 weeks later). We even filled in the survey they sent out and got no response form that. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank whizzbangie
QUALITYINNGM33002, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2011

ThankYou for talking the time to give us your feedback it is our greatest desire to make continued improvements in guest satisfaction we will make sure housekeepers will check all dawers on going forward and make sure this doesnt happen to next guest .I thank you agian for your business .

Reviewed January 29, 2011

I was a little hesitatant to stay when I read the earlier reviews, but relented when I saw the newer reviews.
What I found was a nice, clean room at a good price. Mini Fridge and microwave in room. The beds are hard for my taste, and it is close to the 101, so there is traffic noise. The breakfast is what you would expect at a Quality Inn, waffles, pastries, cereal, etc. The staff is good, kind people, who were very concerned about my stay. They greeted me by name, and would ask if I needed anything.
If you are traveling on a budget, this is a good place to stay in Salinas.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank hardwaregirl
Reviewed November 26, 2010

This hotel definitely did not live up to our expectations based on its website description and TripAdvisor reviews. It is located right off the highway next to a noisy truckstop/gas station. It is not convenient to stores or restaurants. Two female staff members seemed friendly and helpful, and perhaps the problems with our stay were beyond their control. The room was icy cold at check-in,with the wind whistling under the door, apparently unobstructed by any weatherstripping. The window rattled and was not sound-resistant. We could hear the trucks at the gas station and on the highway quite clearly except when the heating unit was on. The heating unit was so noisy, it woke us up every time it came on during the night. The bathroom had no heat source and remained cold. Since the light and vent fan were on a single switch, it was impossible to have the light on and the vent off. Unfortunately the noise of the vent fan was literally deafening. It had to be turned off in order to hear someone speaking from another part of the room. One bath and hand towel were badly stained. One had threadbare spots, and none were of remarkable quality. In the morning we intended to make coffee in the coffeemaker, but found the water reservoir crusted with an odd substance. Given the condition of the towels and coffeemaker, we had no urge to try the hotel's breakfast offering. The bed seemed clean enough and the price was reasonable but you get what you pay for. We moved to the Residence Inn on W. Laurel street the next day, which is adjacent to the Courtyard Marriott a few exits north on 101. It was clean, beautiful, and quiet, with a gas fireplace, and close to many stores and restaurants. Well worth the money. (Review forthcoming). We did learn a valuable lesson from this experience during our driving vacation, which was to 1) make a short list of promising hotels for the night before setting out, using both AAA guides and TripAdvisor comments, and then 2) stop at your first choice and ask to see a room before handing over your credit card. If the room is bad, go onto the next choice.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank MaineWeekender
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Nice clean room, great price, great breakfast, waffles, bagels, toast, boiled eggs, juices, fruit. Nice staff. One of our group stayed on the main floor and found it a little noisy early in the morning due to large volume of trucks but we were on the top floor and didn't hear a thing.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank drake2
Reviewed July 18, 2010

This is my second review for this Motel. Due to Tripadvisor restrictions, I had to have my first review deleted to update about my 3 month stay here.The reason I am writing it is because I have been here for three months and have seen a lot of what the Owners/Managers do to keep this place up. I am going to try to list all the improvements I personally have seen completed here.

When I first arrived, my first complaint was the slow internet. At that time it was at 0.25 Mbs. You could NOT watch Netflix, Hulu, or play online games. It was Horrible. But within the first two weeks of my stay, they had Macrotech out and upgraded their system to a full 1.0 Mbs connection! This is adequate for any standard online activity. Whether it be for watching Netflix/Hulu, Online Gaming (I have been playing WoW lately) or any standard Business needs. This was a much needed and welcome upgrade.
A week or so later, they had a paving company come in and re-surface (oiled) the parking lot and re-paint parking stripes.

Next thing I saw was that they removed the old patio area that was worn out grass and a couple small palm trees. It took about a week for a crew that was actually staying at this same motel to dig out all the old grass, relocate the palm trees and pour new concrete….. But they didn’t stop there. They actually gave the patio a patterned “rock slab” look and then stained the concrete, and sealed it. This is a VERY nice patio! I have watched guests use it every single day!

Next came in the carpet cleaners. They cleaned ever room over the period of about 3 days….

Then came some guys who pressure washed all the walkways….

Finally, last week they replaced the street water main… although I am unsure why they did this. Water pressure seems fine.

During my three month stay here, I have been in four different rooms. Each of these was very clean and well maintained. I had one issue where someone had removed a screw from the door latch, and one of the managers came and installed a new one immediately after I notified him.

While Every room has HBO, Room 210 has all the HBO channels. The rest only have HBO and HBO West. My stay has been wonderful, safe and exceedingly comfortable. If I could rate 4.5 stars I would. Since I have already rated this as 4 stars previously, I am going to rate it five stars this time.

One thing I REALLY like is that the owners care what “type” of clients they have stay here. You won’t find hookers, or any drug dealers here. The owners prefer working men and women like myself, families and “clean-cut” people. The quality here is not upscale, but the beds are wonderful none-the-less. You get four pillows on ever bed (five if it is a King bed).

My only complaint is that in my current room, 212, that the volume of this tv can only go to 18. I frequently have my door open to enjoy the fresh air, and this low volume setting (which can’t be changed) makes it difficult for a hearing impaired person like myself to hear the tv.

In Closing let me just say I “HIGHLY” recommend this motel. You WILL enjoy your stay, because the owners, Rick and Tina care very much.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Spacecased
Reviewed July 17, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights for a planned bicycle trip. Below is a list of my positives and negatives:

Positives:
1) The location is near downtown. It is also an easy drive to Monterey.
2) The room was very clean
3) There was free parking in front of my room
4) The room size is adequate
5) The biggest positive is the staff. They were very nice. They credited me 15% due to the problems with the toilet.
6) The bed was satisfactory
7) The AC worked fine
8) The cable TV worked fine
9) The wireless internet worked fine

Negatives:
1) The toilet clogged all 3 days
2) The water in the sink went down the drain slowly
3) Housekeeping was only fair.
4) The breakfast was not good in my opinion

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2010

There was also a Super 8 across the street. That's the neighborhood it is and this property is about what you'd expect for that neighborhood. The breakfast room was very small without much to offer. Very weak orange juice. Coffee was pretty good.
When I first walked into my room I was overcome with a sweet aroma that I assume was trying to cover up some other much worse odor. The room appeared clean, but old and a little shabby. On the plus side, the shower was very good.
Lots of trucks stopping for traffic before entering freeway so you can hear them going through the gears. It's annoying, but after a while it just blends in with the background
Overall, for the price it was an okay value, especially not too far from Monterey Bay. Next time I might look around a little first.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo