“Great place for Business/Travel stay...”

Econo Lodge Salinas
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Salinas
Eureka, California
“Great place for Business/Travel stay...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

I stay here on average about 15 times a year. I can say with consistency over the 3 years that I have been staying here that overall this place is just fine. I don't think it's fair to label a motel as "bad" over a one nights stay, or over one bad experience. These are motels, they are not perfect, and I don't expect perfection out of a motel. I love the fact that this place has great rates year round. I get all the amenities I need as a frequent business traveler that I have need of. The rooms are always clean. The noise overall is not out of hand. Sure it can get noisy at times, but if this place were noisy there's no chance I would come back here time and again. Then again I have always found it amusing that people expect absolute silence from every single guest at a big motel like this.

As with any City or Town in California, it seems, characters can be seen in the surrounding area. That being said I have never felt unsafe, I have never had my car harmed, and I have certainly NEVER been umm asked if I would like to conduct illegal "business" from somebody that would be classified as a "lady of the night"

I do recommend this place for those doing businesss travel or family travel, as families can be seen staying here all the time as well. The staff are very friendly and accomodating. They care about the motel. They have upgraded numerous things around the property from what I have noticed in that last 3 years of staying here. It's not perfect, but it fits my needs many times out of a year. I think that should say alot about this place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank southernflippedCA
EconoLodgeSalinas, Manager at Econo Lodge Salinas, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
Thank You southernflippedCA for your honesty! We always appreciate our regular clients and look forward to your continued stay with us here at Salinas Econo Lodge. I agree, we are not perfect, but are continously taking suggestions from our customers to make improvements where needed. Let us know how we can service you better in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

We really enjoyed the stay. The current manager/owner has really put in lot of effort and investment to improve the motel.

The manager and the staff were very friendly and provided excellent service. We recommend this to anyone planning to go or stay in Salinsa.

Thanks
Jai

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
We truly have been working hard and greatly appreciate you noticing. Thank you and come visit us again soon at Salinas Econo Lodge.
tel-aviv, israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2009

the staff was great and funny,
the location is not good- we slept there 2 save money during the weekend nights.....
there were some frightning people in the suroundings but not something terrible... the t.v didnt work that well...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
We are glad that you found our staff helpful and amusing Nadavpor. We are extremely sorry that your television wasn't up to par. In the future, please notify our front desk immediately so we may address the issue for your comfort. Furthermore, if you ever notice some "frightening people in the surroundings" again, let us know. This is not normal activity and we assure you that you will always have a safe, and pleasant stay in the future. Thanks for the review! Come visit soon.
Agoura Hills, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

I will admit it was cheap. And we got what we paid for. The two queen bed room had double beds at best. The beds were rock hard. If it was not for the ambien, I don't think I would have slept. My son found a bug in his bed and my husband saw fleas in the room. ICK! On the brighter side, the shower was clean and had lots of hot water. Continental b-fast is a few danishes, orange juice, and coffee.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank momof2boysand2dogs
Rancho Cordova, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2009

Clerk was very friendly at check in. I stayed using points, (I was pleased that the room was only 8000 points, as this was the weekend of the Gilroy Garlic Festival, and the hotel was less than a half hour from Gilroy. They could have charged more points because of the event, but they chose not to.) For paying custoers, prices were reasonable, too. He didn't "jack up" the rates just because of a special event.

The clerk found my reservation immediately. I wanted a ground floor room, but they were still cleaning the motel, so he went out into the motel to fnd a ground floor room that was available so I could put my luggage away before I went out. A couple of small towels were not ready, but he explained that he would get them into the room. It was no problem, as I was just dropping off my luggage and going out. I liked the location of the motel. It was close to both Monterey and Gilroy, so I could go to Monterey on Saturday, and Gilroy on Sunday.

Room was clean, TV had a good picture, the bed was very comfortable, and the Wi Fi worked great. The bathroom was very clean, and I had plenty of hot water in the shower in the morning. I was a little worried, as the hotel fronted the 101 freeway, but the clerk assured me that there would be no noise problem, and there was not.

My only complaint and this is VERY minor, was about the continental breakfast. It was basically sweetrolls, toast, and coffee/juice. It woud be nice if they could have added cold cereal. I'm not picky, but cereal would be a nice added touch.

Overall, a very satisfying stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
We appreciate your review uncleal95670 and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Salinas Econo Lodge. We will make efforts to add items to our continental breakfast to the best of our abilities. Thank you!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2007

I was pleasantly surprised after reading other reviews of this hotel. It was the best rate in town. The staff was very friendly. We had asked for a non-smoking room and although we were given a room that was designated non-smoking, it was obvious smokers had stayed there recently. The staff cheerfully gave us a larger non-smoking room at the same price. It was clean, and there was no problem with the TV (HBO included).

We did have a problem when we checked out with the bill. I don't know if this was just a mistake but I suggest you keep the original receipt. Staff was pleasant when I pointed our their mistake. The shower did have a minor problem that I reported when I left. It did not interfere with use. Again, I'm not sure if the problem just occurred or if previous complaints had been ignored. The hotel is right off the freeway which is both convenient and noisy.

Overall, I felt the hotel was decent for the price.

• Liked — price, cleanliness, and friendly service.
  • Disliked — noice, problem adjusting the room temperature.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you hope61 for your comments. We assure you that we attend to our problems with a high sense of urgency and if you ever have any concerns, please let us know immediately. Come stay with us again soon.
Pleasanton, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2007

When we stayed at this Econolodge in May 2007 it was reasonably priced, comfortable, had friendly staff, and even though we arrived late we got what we asked for. However, we believe this Econolodge has changed ownership since then. This time we got a "bait and switch". This time we arrived late again, staff was rude, and prices were inflated because of a large event at Laguna Seca Raceway. The parking lot at Econolodge was full but we were told that we had to go to a "comparable" alternate motel (Best 5 Motel, possibly same owners?) for the same rate across the street because of a "plumbing problem". We were not contacted in advance about this problem. If you book at this Econolodge, you may very well end up at the Best(not) 5 Motel, so don't even take that chance! We never will again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The "bait and switch" tactic
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends