“Did not deliver what was promised.”

Monterey Bay Equestrian Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Salinas
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer wonderful horseback rides along Monterey Bay. Our horses are well cared for and the guides are friendly and helpful. Our stables is located as published but our horseback rides on the beach are located at the Molera Lot of the Salinas River State Beach. It can be found at the end of Monterey Dunes Way. Please rely on the directions found using the map to the beach link on our website.
massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Did not deliver what was promised.”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Owner stated during phone conversation that the beach ride for 1.5 hours and $85 would include cantering on beach. She ,specifically, questioned my riding ability. She said the other riders in the group were prepared to canter. I stated I would not be interested in a walk only ride as I am an experienced rider. We could only walk because the owner booked an inexperienced rider, so they could make more money. It was the most disappointing ride I have ever experienced in twenty years of taking public horseback rides. I am so upset that this business owner would lie to me and not care enough to provide the ride that they promised. I would not do business with this type of owner. This ruined my vacation. I have waited my entire life to canter on the beach.

Visited March 2012
6 Thank lynncaMassachusetts
Horseyeller, Owner at Monterey Bay Equestrian Center, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
It is not our policy to misrepresent our business or the services we provide. As part of our reservation process, we ask certain questions regarding the expectations and abilities of the riders. We rely on the honesty of the callers to provide us with accurate information when booking the rides. Once the ride begins, safety is our first priority. The guide is responsible for conducting the ride in a safe manner. Your description of the attitude of the guides is very concerning and not something we have been told before. I will look into it at once.

California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I have been on several guided horseback rides, and this was one of the best. It was only an hour long, but that was plenty long to enjoy the sights and sounds of the beach, as well as walk, trot, lope and take pics. I was willing to pay extra for a private tour, but they arranged it so that we were the only ones at 11 a.m. so we didn't have to pay the extra $50. Linda was our guide and she was great. She knew the horses and their quirks (nothing major or dangerous). Since we had ridden before, she gave us several opportunities to trot and lope. On the way back she used my camera and she got some great shots of my daughter and I walking and loping on the beach. She made sure I was happy with the pics and was willing to take as many as needed to get a good shot. The horses (I rode Dakota and my daughter rode Angel) appeared healthy and well-kept. Since we didn't mount until close to 11:20 a.m. (after filling out paperwork and getting on out helmets)I was afraid our ride might be cut short, but they count the hour from the time you mount, not your appointment time. You spend 50 minutes out of the hour on the beach, unlike a beach ride I took in Half Moon Bay where the majority of the time was spent walking to and from the beach.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank greyparrotbreeder
Horseyeller, Owner at Monterey Bay Equestrian Center, responded to this review, June 14, 2015
Thank you so much. Sorry for the late response.
california
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Loved this ride on the beach!”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

It's not everyday you get the opportunity to ride a horse in the surf, but that's exactly what we did this weekend! :) My husband and I have been on a few rides, but we're not really experienced riders at all. The horses were well-behaved and our guide Mike was very friendly and knowledgable. He's been around horses all his life and used to compete in rodeos.
We rode our horses a short way through the dunes, then out onto the beach. We rode single file through the dunes as the trail is narrow for more than one horse, but as soon as we got on the beach, we could let our horses walk next to each other! We let them walk for
a while then did some trotting, which is about as fast as I was comfortable with. Mike is really good about tailoring the ride to your level of ability, no pressure to go faster or to just walk all the time.
The weather was sunny and beautiful, a gorgeous day on the beach! And riding a horse through the surf is so much fun!

Visited February 2012
Thank you so much for reviewing. Sorry for the late response.
Beverly Hills, California
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Wonderful Beach Riding Experience”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Riding a horse along the beach at sunset with my wife was an experience that we will remember for a lifetime. Mike the owner was pleasant, professional and on time for our ride. The horses are well cared for and not some old worn out rodeo has beens that are worked to death to make a quick buck. Worth the price and the memories. Thanks Mike for the good conversation and relaxing ride. We will be back!

4 Thank HospitalityPros
Thank you so much for reviewing. Sorry for the late response
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Stables at Monterey Bay Equine Center.”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Of the reviews so far, nobody has been to their stables and seen how they care for their precious horses. Since I live around the corner from their stables and pass it every day walking or driving, thought I would share with you what I know.
I am guessing there is about "maybe" 40 horses there, maybe more. All the horses look so great, very well cared for & their large & shaded paddocks are nice and clean. They are NOT kept inside a little stalls. have a stall but also a door they can go in & out of into their own small paddock.
They do have one large operation and there's also large areas where folks work their horses with cows, riding techniques, etc etc. The stables are in a picture perfect setting in the valley of Prunedale, Ca. outside of Salinas... I commend the folks who keep up such a sizeable operation... I almost aways see folks out there cleaning, feeding, mowing, loading horses, working working working. Seems to me for what you pay to rent a horse to ride on the beach is one SWEET deal because they sure do ALOT behind the scenes.
iI's nice to read how everyones raving about their beach ride, how nice the guide & owner also is. I have not tried rented their horses yet...but I am totally planning on it.

Visited June 2011
6 Thank conklinsky
Horseyeller, Owner at Monterey Bay Equestrian Center, responded to this review, August 7, 2015
I know it's been a while but we are finally getting to our reviews. Thank you for your comments.