“Delicious and great wines too!”
Review of Patria

Patria
Ranked #4 of 320 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Every part of our meal was excellent! The wine list was amazing and dessert -- chocolatey mousse with a glass of Ficklin's Tawny Port coupled with an incredible server made the experience perfect!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Soo excited for this restaurant as Salinas Oldtown has needed a quality eatery for a long time.
A lot of time and effort went into the decor as the artwork was painted by one of the owners. It has something for everyone. Wine and appetizer in the late afternoons, a communal table for large group in the private clock room , high gathering tables as well as booth and regular seating options. I ate lunch twice and was pleased both times. The butternut squash thin pizza was to die for. Really tasty and nothing like I have ever eaten before. This definitely is the place to go downtown.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Yes, that's what it's called..the coo coo clock room, it has an awesome long table, and seats about 22 friends and family ! We had an event there, made reservations for that room, and everything, really EERYTHING was wonderful, the food, appetizers, the service, !!! They treated us like royalty ! I can't think of anything bad to say !
I wish I could go to Patria every week ! I had the lasagne with meat, and tried the jeager schnitzel, it all is wonderful ! The appetizers are great !!! Especially the cheese with fig spread, a new favorite in our family !!!
I'm definately going back !! And will definately have an event again in the coo coo clock room whenever i need to !
There was even a local guitar player, and piano player, very, very nice dinner music.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

As other reviews have noted, the food at Patria is very very good. I went for lunch with a friend and ordered their special. It was delicious sand dabs ( one of my favorites) with a buerre blanc sauce, a small serving of potatoes au gratin and a green salad. It was beautifully presented. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because the host staff was disorganized when we arrived. Two were having a discussion, didn't greet us and it was a couple of minutes before they acknowledged us. Also the server brought us the dinner menu instead of the lunch menu. These are not huge issues but initial impressions count!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

What a wonderful surprise in Oldtown Salinas!

My wife took me to Patria for dinner tonight. The decor is well done without being pretentious. Italian farmhouse theme is subtle. Very clean. The wait staff is first-rate and efficient without being impersonal. Our waiter Mike was terrific. We wanted to eat french style: cheese course, fish course, meat course, salad course, then espresso and dessert. Mike was terrific and flowed right into what we wanted. The courses came well timed and on point.

We shared each course in the middle of our table for two, except for the salads. Often, California restaurants aren't used to serving in courses (or the wait staff seems put-out to not do their normal turn-and-burn on the table) unless they are strictly French, but the Patria staff was on the mark with our wishes to share. We never felt rushed and Mike was terrific.

The cheese plate was very good, I would only change it by adding some wafer crackers and maybe sliced grapes. Each cheese was well represented and shaped distinctly. The candied pecans were excellent foils.

The fish course was superb- salmon in paper in a beurre blanc, really terrific with bright notes of small, sliced mushrooms and vegetable sticks. The vegetables were perfect, toothy yet tender. The beurre blanc was in a word, sublime.

The meat course was the ribeye with excellent creamed spinach, which wasn't the least bit watery, and a fine potato and carrot stack that was au gratin. We asked for it medium rare, erroring on the rare side. It was precisely delivered with bone-in, frenched. Some bites were just warmed through yet juicy and others were perfectly rare and cool inside, with perfect carmelization on the outside of each and every bite. The meat was delicious, truly melt in your mouth--I wondered if they aged it on-site. The sauce was maybe a light bernaise, not cloying at all. The meat shined through.

For the salad course my wife selected the spinach salad and I had the roasted beets. My wife brought her salad home, opting to save room for dessert. My roasted beet salad was the perfect set of notes to top of the steak. Roasted red and golden beets sliced and topped with creamy goat cheese, grapefruit segments that were bright and juicy, and frissee or some other peppery greens. The citrus was a wonderful foil for the sweetness of the beets and the creamy, mild tang of the goat cheese. A bit more goat cheese would have perfected it.

For dessert my wife had the triple chocolate mousse and I had room only for a double espresso. The espresso service was exactly what you would hope for. The surprise of the night was the mousse, expertly presented in milk, white, and dark incarnations, each highlighted by fresh red raspberries and blueberries and so delicious. Light, creamy, and the accents were fantastic to look at and eat. I even had a bite of the mint garnish it all looked so good. Classic example of "if it looks good, it tastes good."

One subtle thing really impressed me. During the cheese course, I clumsily knocked my knife to the floor in a clatter. The busser was a pro--on it in a heart beat, snatching the knife off of the floor and walking silently away with it. He didn't miss a beat and drew no attention to our table, nor did he acknowledge from whence the errant utensil was flung. Well done, Patria!

Lastly, the men's room was clean and well supplied.

What a wonderful surprise in Oldtown Salinas. Go go go! Oh, make a reservation on the weekends...the word is out.

1  Thank rogcurt

Been to Patria? Share your experiences!