“Great addition to Old Town Salinas”
Review of Patria

Patria
Ranked #4 of 335 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 13, 2014

So glad to see a restaurant of this caliber with unique menu items (rabbit, veal, jaeger schnitzel, etc.) at a very reasonable price point. The food quality is excellent, the service is friendly, fast, and very courteous (thank you Katie!).

All in all, a great place to have great food, drinks, and maybe even meet a few new friends.

My one little sticking point would be the wine service. The menu offers a $6 glass of house wine (choice of Pinot, Cab, and one other that I forget). Instead of receiving a $6 glass of wine, we received a miniature carafe and a small pour in a standard size red wine glass; after filling it completely with the carafe I would say that there was approximately 7 ounces of wine total. Upon receiving the bill, we noticed that we were charged $11 per serving for the wine so I asked for an explanation. It seems that the $6 glass is just a small serving of approximately 3 ounces. This can be confusing to customers so I would suggest that the wine menu explicitly describes that the $6 glass is very small and not a standard serving size. In fact, I would recommend that the servers be very well versed in this matter and explain to guests that you are NOT getting a full-sized glass of wine for your $6. Actually, I'll take it one step further and suggest that the restaurant just forego the tiny 3 oz. glass option and serve wine by the glass in a standard glass with a 6 oz. pour.

Overall, this is a minor irritant considering the great atmosphere, service, and of course wonderful food!

1  Thank mikegrattan

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We arrived at 8:45 on a Saturday night and they would not seat us. The hostess told us the were closed. The restaurant was at least half full.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Went with another couple and enjoyed the food. I had the scallops which were among the best I have had. My wife had the tagliatelle and it was also excellent. Our companions had the highly recommended rabbit which was on the overlooked side and the jäger schnitzel which was great.

We started the meal with cocktails and suffice to say the current bartender can not make a decent Manhattan nor could he come up with a tall drink glass for the Scotch&Soda. On a similar note our wine selection was unfortunately not available because it is too popular according to the waiter-so order more!

Dessert was a very nice chocolate crime brûlée.

So we will return, the restaurant is very new and needs time to settle in.

Definitely the best in Salinas and as good as anything Carmel Has to offer.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We went into the wine tasting room after seeing a movie, we were very kindly welcomed. We had the wine room to ourselves and were treated like royalty ! The Resturaunt is decorated Beautifully, like you are in Europe for sure. The menu has alot of variety, and German cuisine. I can't wait to go back for dinner, there is a room with a very long table for a familiy dinner that we look forward to using.
We were served wonderful local wine, and they have delicious free appetizers to nibble on with your wine.
Loved it, and will go back for sure !

1  Thank calidreamin43
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I enjoyed a fantastic meal at Patria's. The atmosphere is great - soft jazz music(vs the usual loud music you cant talk over at most Salinas dining establishments). The servers were extremely attentive and well informed about the menu selections. I had the Eggplant Lasagna which was very tasty. It was not overcooked and was simply the best eggplant I have had. Coffee was fav - not the usual grind. I could not force myself to skip dessert so I had the chocolate creme brulee. It was the best that I have had - topping was crisp as expected and a great layer of chocolate was below. All this is a relaxed seating - that gives the impression of a european bistro. This will NOT be my last visit here. The owner personally ask my impression of the food and thanked me for coming in. He mentioned he had been planning this for two years and all I can say is Bravo!

1  Thank ibtravelinj

Been to Patria? Share your experiences!