“Very Good Breakfast and lunch selections”
Review of Sangs Cafe

Sangs Cafe
Ranked #21 of 318 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: American
oklahoma
“Very Good Breakfast and lunch selections”
Reviewed February 19, 2011

We tried both breakfast and lunch at Sangs Cafe and were very happy with both meals. Great food and large portions. Would definitely rcommend eating here. They are not open for Dinner.

Visited February 2011

sacramento ca
“JOHN STEINBECK ATE HERE & i KNOW WHY”
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Just outside the Steinbeck Center Musuem( great place for all Steinbeck fans),I saw what looked like a little place called Sangs Cafe- what drew me to it was a sign that said John Steinbeck ate here. I went in and thought I stepped back in time - a horsehoe shaped counter with stools and large dining area full of folks happily muching on their breakfasts.
The food was fantastic beyond any expectation- I had two eggs, the most lucsious homemade corn beef hash, and the aboslute hands down best has browns I have ever had, and let me tell you I have scarfed down more than my share of hash browns in 50 plus years. These were perfectly crisp and browned .well seasoned, about a good half inch thick , moist on the inside - I am still raving about them! The portions of the corned beef and hash browns were enormous , so laRGE that my eyes poped out of my head when I saw the plate coming my way.I also noticed the llunch menu and would love to go back- meat loaf, roast pork with stuffing and I saw a flinstone sized lamb shank coming out of the kitchen- evberything seemed to be in the ten dollar or so range...amazing roadfood nirvana- if you are ever in the region this place is worth a detour to get to..now the sad part of the tale- the plate was so huge , I had the waitress take it away after eating only half the potatos and corned beef as I was afraid if I ate it all I would pass out in the musuem- also had a long ride home, but wow what a place ........Sangs is a treasure , and yes talked with the owner(son of the original owner) and Steinbeck did eat there often- I can see why!!

2 Thank houweb
California
“Great Food!!!”
Reviewed February 19, 2010

Sangs Cafe is the only place in Salinas that serves your moneys worth!!! The food is great and the service is just as great! Most places give you very little food for what they charge you but at Sangs you can look forward to a full plate of food with flavors that will make you wish you could eat more!

illinois
“Take it for what it's worth”
Reviewed October 2, 2009

This is old school. I go in for a breakfast of calamari and eggs when I'm in Salinas. Not healthy, not fancy, but oh so local.

Tucson, Arizona
“Food for Steinbeck thought”
Reviewed October 28, 2008

If you want the best, most unforgettable hamburger, rivaling what Ed Ricketts ate on sampling trips, as described by Steinbeck himself, this is it. Go no further you have arrived. Rejoice in the dining at place that carries you back to the places America dined in the 50's, 60's, & early 70's. I give it 4 to 5 stars for what was given me.

John Steele