“Authentic Mexican Food”

Rosita's Armory Cafe
Ranked #28 of 320 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Good items! Enchiladas , the chile rellenos, the chile verde,not to mention their green salsa going to Rositas is not only good warm Mexican food it is like going for home cooking with family.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

My wife and I dated at Rosita's back in the 70's. It might be we were caught up with each other and, due to moving out of State, have not been back since 1976 but the food seemed a lot better back then. Yesterday, we found the food very average and lacking flavor. The chips were over cooked. The service was good and the server friendly. The prices were comparable with other places.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was in high school in 1970 and Salinas was the land of rival high school sportsmen. I may have sat in this same booth during one of my many carefree jaunts at that time. But I know upon entering, the feeling of a cultural family kitchen; the spotlessly scrubbed counters tables and floors; and the memories drawing the eye up and down the wall, that this will be a hallmark meal. Chips and salsa and ice water within five minutes of being seated. I ordered the Chile Relleno, the measure by which I decide the full pleasure of a Mexican meal. A little green salad with that yummy creamy blu blue cheese dressing included. Then comes the love, like the terroir for the wine, the love generations of families and stories and milestones infuses into the old pots and the recipes that make authentic Mexican rice and refried beans and the fluffy relleno sunk in a pool of hot spicy sauce and cheese heaven. The warm humor and kind service of the proprietess and her family, whose love story is sewn together by the hands that make this food is why I had to write about one authentic down the side street deliscious mexican meal in Salinas

2  Thank kauaivalentine
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I very rarely give anything less than 3 or 4, but this just not good. We stayed over in Salinas after a day of hiking in Big Sur and another day of hiking in the Pinnacles National Park. We had high hopes of visiting the Monterey Brewing Company, but it, and what seemed like the rest of old town Salinas, was closed. We did a quick check on TA and found Rosita's ranked 12 of 104 restaurants. I feel bad for the other 92 because they must really be horrible! I usually give pretty high rankings to places but this is an outlier for me. Our party of 5 rankings ranged from "nasty" to "terrible" to "marginal at best." The service was fine - can't complain there. However, the food was so substandard our whole group left feeling a profound sense of disappointment. We were hoping for some authentic mexican food and got nothing more than bland, out of a can, forgettable ingredients. Most everyone in our group ordered a burrito of some kind. I don't think anyone finished their meal - bland and blah.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I am new to Salinas and my daughter and her family were visiting me. So I thought we would try this place out since it is touted to be the best. What a waste of too much money. Tasteless, with items floating in sauce, fake guacamole. Rice-a roni really? I am from So Cali and I guess this place might have been good years ago but now it was is just terrible.