“They have all the pieces to the puzzle except for the main one; the FOOD!”

Yangt Se's Taste of Thai
Ranked #157 of 320 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed March 10, 2010

I remember this place being a great Thai Food Restaurant. I don't know if they changed ownership or cooks or even food products but their food is terrible now. I hate writing bad reviews because it's just not my nature but I have to say something. I hope they can re-form and bring back the authentic food they use to serve. If you do want to try this place out, I recommend the Caribbean Chicken. From what I remember it was still decent. The Orange Chicken and Noodle dishes are way below par though.

Reviewed January 10, 2010

Go to the aweful chinese place in the mall instead, the food is better.
We should have left when we walked in and heard the blaring mexican music- pretty obvious clue we missed!
Pad Thai was horrible.
Thai tea had so much sugar in it if you drank from the bottom of the glass you got a mouthful of sugar grains.
I wasn't expecting to feel like I was in Phuket again... but they have no idea what Thai food is. We looked online and made something 1000 times better at home that night.

Reviewed September 7, 2009

Service was acceptable. Waiter some how put our order behind a large party and we waited for what seemed like longer than usual, however once the food arrived, we were content. Price was not "affordable" as far as Thai food goes. I lived in San Francisco for a long time and perhaps I've become somewhat of a snob, but for the price I expected more. The atmosphere was nice and modern.

Reviewed July 20, 2009

To call this food authentic is like calling Crème brûlée American.
We ordered the Tom Kah soup. It was uneatable without ANY coconut milk. When we tried to send it back our server said that it was the Northern way to make the soup.
Next was the Pad Thai. It was actually stir-fry noodles with soy sauce. This is when my girlfriend had enough. We told the server we were not happy with our meal and she was upset saying "I'll make you something else" but all we wanted was the bill and to try a real restaurant. I've had Thai food for almost 6 years - this is the worst- if you can call it Thai food.

Reviewed March 23, 2009

I would hardly call this a "Thai" restaurant. I ordered the green curry with chicken, and my husband the vegetarian pad thai. My curry was actually a Japanese brown curry with raw chunks of potatoes and very oily. My husband's pad thai was more a stir-fry noodle dish and didn't have that pad thai flavor, but was ok. We also ordered the egg roll appetizer, which was also okay, but was dripping with oil when you picked up off the plate. So I guess overall the food was below average. I can say a couple of good things about this restaurant; when you ask for something to be spicy, be careful! They put slices of thai chili in our dish, which was awesome, but if you're not ready for that, you may want to ask for it on the side. The second good thing was the service, our waiter was nice and attentive, probably because there weren't too many other patrons at the time.

The decor is kind of un-authentic, when we were there, there was an old happy birthday banner and some half-inflated Valentine's day balloons floating around (we went there at the end of March). There are some paintings of Vietnamese women, Japanese paper lanterns, and Chinese music playing in the background. I think they need to re-name their restaurant to Yangtse Taste of "Asian" or something. They're suffering from an identity crisis.