“Recently Opened, but they show promise.”
Review of Famous Dave's

Famous Dave's
Ranked #42 of 318 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: Barbecue
Royal Oaks, CA
“Recently Opened, but they show promise.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

OK, they just opened up and there is still a little confusion. We went for a late lunch and it was still busy, waited about 10 minutes. They switched waiters on us in the first few minutes of sitting down, however our waiter was very attentive and the red shirt staff, waiters wear black, were making sure that customers were happy. As time goes on the wait staff should get better and that is the only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5. We overhead that they fired the Kitchen manager, so they are going through a rough opening week. Anyway, prices for lunch and early dinner up to 5PM are very reasonable less than $10, you give up one side dish, but save a lot. I would suggest that for anyone wishing to try this place for the first time, consider going before 5PM. They serve their special chips for you to try there different sauces and the waiter did a great job telling us what each sauce was made of and what is was best for. We ordered the rib tip appetizer, they give you a full pound of rib tips along with french fries, well worth it as you wait for your food. Gave us a chance to try the different sauces on ribs and fries. My wife ordered the ribs and pulled pork and I ordered the ribs and barbecue chicken. We both ordered the baked beans side dish and the lunch also came with a corn muffin. Everything was great, we were full and had to take food home. The pork ribs were tender, flavorful and had great sauce, The corn muffin was sweet and moist. The barbecue chicken was tender, well seasoned and moist. The baked beans were good, but not great. I prefer chili beans. So the total bill was $32 for two of us, yes a little high, but we had the $11 appetizer. The beverage cost $2.59 each, too high in my opinion, so in the future I will likely just order water. One thing I liked is the waiter kept on filling my beverage whenever it was low. Other touches I like is the paper towels and hand cleaner packets on the table, you will need them. The food is great and the service is good consider they just opened, so I will definitively be back. They have some intriguing dinners for 2 to 4 people that includes a sampling of their meat and sides.

• Visited May 2012

Stockton, California
“good experience”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

my husband and i went there to try out something new. the service was wonderful. the food was good as well. it was interesting to try out all their barbeque sauces. our favorite was the devils pit which was the hottest one but it was too extreme as well. the portion sizes are very big. i felt like we were in the country with all the decor. great experience and good food. would recommend. :)

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank k x
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Looks better then the taste.”
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We had good service and the decor was good. We love BBQ and thought it could have been better. We had the big platter family tray and wanted one extra biscuit and there was a charge for that. Seemed to be nit picky if you ask me. Chicken was good and so was brisket. Ribs were somewhat cold and were just not as good as I have had at other places.
The place can be busy so it could just be me.

2 Thank Joncab5
“Good service”
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Love the food,love the service, love the place I was very sattisfied with food it was bomb ribs are delicious and our guy server it was a tall guy he was very nice and I love his service I will go back pretty soon.

Sun City, California, United States
“Famous Dave's Best Brisket in Salinas”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Our hotel concierge at the Holiday Express recommended this place for dinner. We were not disappointed..! First the waitress brought out all 5 of their sauces and a basket of thick potato fries to tide us over while waiting for our entrees.. My favorite was a mixture of the ":Devil's spit" & the "Hot & Sassy". We wanted to try a little of everything so we ordered the " All American BBQ Feast" There was enough for the 3 of us & then some. It came with a Full slab of St. Louis-style spareribs (Yum), A whole chicken, 1/2 lb. of Texas beef brisket-very tender (could substitute Georgia Chopped Pork), Coleslaw, Fries, Beans,4 Corn-on-the-cob, and 4 Corn bread muffins. Glad we had refrig & micro in our room. damn that was a lot of food & really good too. Service was perfect... Never ran out of drinks & continuously check on us for whatever we might need. What a great place for country BBQ... Glad to see they have a location close to us that just opened in Temecula./

• Visited July 2012