“Great experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fremont, California
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

My wife and I took the your and stayed at the B&B. At night could hear the lion roaring and other animals. Even the local coyotes joined in. Nice breakfast delivered by an elephant. They used our cameras to take photos of us feeding treats to the elephant. Wonderful experience.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I went with my kids (19 and 21) We had such a great time!!!! The place is beautiful and the cabins are clean and comfortable. I really recommend this place. I really don't have anything to complaint about. It isn't cheap but it was worth the money spent.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I came across this amazing place by sheer chance at 4am one morning via Groupon in my inbox. Without much thought I purchased and booked a room for New Year's Day as an anniversary surprise for my husband. What a great way to start off the new year! The rooms are very comfortable and romantic. The only suggestions I would make at least for our room in particular (Leopard's Lair) is that they include a little indoor table with chairs to eat at. Since I knew in advance we would be eating in our bungalow I brought a picnic type meal for our dinner, but it was too cold to eat outside at the bistro set. Also, please invest in better quality tea. We really enjoyed our stay here. It was quiet and private. The pastries brought to us first thing in the morning were wonderful! We are not big carb eaters, but they were nice quality. If you are not into pastries, bagels, fruit, yogurt for breakfast than be sure to bring your own. I am happy there was a fridge in the room. A few little kitchen items would be a nice touch too. We opted for the Pachyderm package since we were already there... why not! You get very close safe contact with a gorgeous sweet elephant. I highly recommend this package. All of our friends could not believe we bathed an elephant. I love Vision Quest. I am happy to support them and their continued quest. I do wish the animals had more comfortable enclosures (not the elephant play yard), but I know as funds come in they will do their best to provide them the most comfortable life. The animals are all definitely happy, healthy and well cared for. I must say all the employees we encountered did seem very tired and overworked. I chalk in up to the holidays and the nature of the establishment. As a former vet tech student I know how hard it is to care for animals. They do a really great job here. You MUST go! Thank you Charlie Sammut and Josef for sharing your dream with the world. I am excited to visit again with my children when they are a little older.

Room Tip: Leopard's Lair is first stop in the morning for breaksfast.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

This place is a unique experience! I brought my girlfriend here as a surprise Christmas gift! She loves elephants and being able to feed them was a lot of fun! Hope we can make it back! I think next time we will do the bed time and the crunch time, but if you are on a budget the room and the meet and greet is worth the trip! The big cat room has a great view of the elephant play area

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband and two sons (10&13) decided to break away from the Xbox over Christmas break and ended up at Vision Quest Ranch. We had such a great time. The trainers/guides are so knowledgable about the animals. We did arrange to bring our dog (Australian shepherd) with us and he stayed at the kennels which are on sight. At the end of the tour we fed Bruce the elephant. We then checked in and went to our cabin. It was beautiful, comfortable, and we were so happy with the heated mattress and heater. Breakfast was lovely! We enjoyed feeding the elephant that delivered it. We did do crunch time which was a great experience. Most of the lions and tigers are sleeping during the tour so this is an excellent opportunity to really see them. I can't wait to go back and recommend spending the night.

Eastvale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

I can't say anything that already hasn't been said. To sum it up.... We fed an elephant, got up close and personal with a siberian tiger, and have amazing pictures from this interesting weekend. The staff was friendly and helped us with anything we needed. Try it out, it was definitely an experience like no other.

Room Tip: Just make sure you choose a room that can accommodate the amount of travelers you want to stay with.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
los gatos, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We just got back from a great cruise to Mexico and finished off the holiday season with a one night stay at Vision Quest. We had 2 of the bungalows, Monkey Manor, Pachyderm Palace. Monkey Manor had 2 full size x-long beds, and Pachyderm Palace had a queen size bed. Also, Pachyderm Palace had ramps for easy wheelchair access and a very large shower.

We went the first week of January. The weather was COLD at night, in the high 30's I think. The rooms are very cold when you return from dinner (Salinas has a lot of great places to eat, yelp or trip advisor them) but there is a small room heater in the bedroom. The trick though is not to put the heater on auto, which is what the complaint from many people was because it turns off every 1/2 hour or so and then it is freezing. Leave it on and high and you will be fine. Also, close the bathroom door because that lets in a lot of cold air! IF you do this, you only need to have the heated mattress pad on a very low setting. We were more than comfortable. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. I actually liked the cooler weather.

The continental breakfast was wonderful. It's delivered along with an elephant. They had a very generous breakfast of fresh fruit, bagels and cream cheese, jam, croissants with filling and yogurt. There is a mini fridge (no microwave) that had water and orange juice, plus a little coffee maker with teas and hot chocolate. So awesome to be able to give the elephant some treats. Wonderful deck area where you can sit and watch the elephant go from bungalow to bungalow. Oh, and you could hear the lions roaring at night time. Too awesome! Keep in mind that there are two prices for the bungalows because 4 of them are located in the back rows so yo cannot see down into the elephant play yards. But you can walk over to the viewing platform and watch from there. Beautiful views of the valley in the evening though. If you go in the winter months when it gets dark really early, bring some flashlights because when you walk back from your Crunch & Munch tours, it's quite dark on the path.

We got there shortly before 1:00pm and took the general tour (it was included with the b&b package) that normally costs $10 a person. Children I think are $8. This was a large crowd, but they broke it down into three smaller groups. It's a very walkable tour and most people, even older people, shouldn't have much trouble. If you pay an extra $5 for the Meet & Greet, you get to feed the elephant some carrots. This is a must do too!

Then we did the Crunch & Munch Tour where you get to watch them feed some of the big cats and assist by pushing the meat into the cage. This is all done in a safe manner with a long stick and you standing behind the line. Then the elephants are led into their night time barn where they are fed. After their feeding, you get some carrots to feed them. We had a great time doing that too.

They have some other more expensive packages with more time with the elephants, which I will return to do in the spring when it isn't quite so cold. I'm very impressed that they have creative ways to help support the ranch. The B&B wasn't cheesy or crowded. It was very peaceful and enjoyable. The animals all get lots of attention. I wish I lived closer so I could become a volunteer!

Room Tip: If you stay at the B&B, bring a flashlight if you take the Crunch and Munch tours during Decembe...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salinas
Hampton Inn & Suites Salinas
#5 of 25 in Carmel
Lone Oak Lodge
Lone Oak Lodge
#3 of 55 in Monterey

Been to Vision Quest Safari Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!