“So unique and wild!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Menlo Park, California
“So unique and wild!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night over President's Day weekend. The tent-cabin we were in (#8) was decorated with leopard print accents and an amazing black mosquito net over the bed. It was definitely not needed since there were no mosquitos but added to the feeling of being on safari. I had imagined the rooms would be pretty basic but this one was really cute. There was a small flat screen TV, which we didn't use but I saw you could rent wildlife documentaries to watch in the cabin. That seemed like a great idea for a longer stay. The room was not heated and a little cool but there is a powerful space heater and an electric blanket on the bed. After checking in and settling in to our cabin an animal trainer brought around a baby baboon (Gabby) for us to meet and a South American raccoon. During the night I woke up and heard some faint animal sounds (not what woke me up) in the distance. It was great. The next morning at breakfast they brought an elephant around, which we got to feed by hand! So fun! The human breakfast was yummy: a couple bagels w/ condiments, a few pastries, bananas and yogurt. There is a coffee machine in the room as well as a mini fridge with 2 waters and 2 orange juice bottles. We weren't able to stay for the 1pm tour, which is complimentary. There are also other paid activities you can sign up for such as putting one of the elephants to bed in the evening. I would definitely go back in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank enceladus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Costa Mesa, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

We actually hate to let too many people know how fantastic Safari B&B is...what if it's so busy next time we want to go that we can't get a reservation?! :-0 What a unique experience to sit on your tent deck & watch elephants, water buffalo, a zebra & ostrich. The hyenas "laugh" in the middle of the night & the lions roaring just before dawn add to the excitement. The staff is so friendly & knowledgable about Vision Quest Ranch & the animals they bring around in the evenings. It's the only time we will have the fun of feeding an elephant who delivers our breakfast each morning.

We shall return!

Room Tip: Pay the extra money & stay closest to the arena of animals!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank JanisP2012
Northern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

I took my two sons to Salinas to visit the Steinbeck museum and found Vision Quest through Trip Advisor. My youngest son (11) is into animals so I thought it would be fun. It was so much more! The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The bungalows are beautiful and very clean. We visited right after Christmas so it was cold at night but they provide a space heater and both beds had electric heating pads that warmed the beds up so we were very comfortable all night. As we fell asleep we could hear coyotes in the hills, lions roar early in the morning and many other animals (we couldn't figure out which ones) "talking" to each other. The most amazing part though is the animals. After checking in we sat on the observation deck and watched the elephants, water buffalo, zebras and ostriches do what they do. Then the staff brought around a couple of animals for us to meet up close and gave us a brief lesson about the animal (a kinkajou and a coati). I splurged for the boys and myself to do the "Bedtime for Butch" which was the opportunity to see three elephants up close and feed them hunks of bread. The boys and I will never forget that experience. Butch (the larges elephant) brought us breakfast to our bungalow and we got to pet him and get our picture taken with him. Check out was at 12:30pm which allowed us lots of time to relax and eat breakfast and get cleaned up. After returning our key we went on the 1pm public tour of all the animals. It was a very informative tour, the staff was eager to answer any of our questions, and you can tell that they really care about each of the animals and their well being. My older son (15) loved this experience as much as my younger animal lover, so I would say it is a great experience for families (well-behaved toddlers and up) and couples.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kelsco91
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

My feelings about the bed and breakfast? Rude and poor customer service. My husband and I made a reservation to spend one night at the bed and breakfast this past October in celebration of my birthday. Due to work, we would have to arrive past the designated checkin time. The bed and breakfast assured me that this would not be a problem and that they would call me with more information. It had been nearly two weeks, and we had not yet received a call. This made us a little nervous, especially because it was two days before our arrival, so I decided to call to find out all the necessary information about our late checkin and make sure everything was in order. Instead of receiving any sort of reassurance, I was told to call back the morning of the day we were to arrive. Because I am a teacher, I said that it would be difficult to call that morning and asked if there was any other way we could arrange the checkin. The woman I was talking to responded by unilaterally canceling our reservation declaring that we "were not a good fit." Needless to say this was very shocking and offensive. I pleaded with her to work the issue out, but she repeated that the reservation was canceled.... I guess wanting to firm up our checkin process in advance was too much of an imposition. Too bad someone couldn't have told us that we were not a good fit--whatever that means--when we made our reservation.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
17 Thank rojfamily
HeatherMSMontereyCa, Owner at Vision Quest Safari Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
It is unfortunate to us that individuals such as rojfamily are permitted to critique and establishment in a damaging fashion that have never even seen or experienced it. Our staff (several of which were present for this particular phone exchange) recalled this communication very differently. We are small and unique B&B operated by a a minimal paid staff together with family and volunteers. All share the responsibility with caring for the many animals at Vision Quest also throughout their day. We are not a “motel” with a 24hr. person manning the desk and taking much needed time and funding from our animals which ultimately come first in our lives. Most of our clientele recognize and appreciate that fact upon seeing our facility. Our check-in procedures are a bit more complicated due to the “nature” of our facility and safety of our animals therefore we are not able to simply leave a key somewhere. Our incredibly unique early hours program begins at 3pm and continues to 6pm for those who choose to enjoy all there is to offer. All our welcome to join in at any time between those hours. It then resumes at 9am when the animals are released into their play yard and the elephants visit with B&B guests as they deliver their breakfast. Some complain that they will miss the early hour’s activities when checking in late. Some become argumentative over our rates if they do miss those opportunities. We know of no way to accommodate such complaints and remain a viable business. We know of no other business (sporting event, zoo, aquarium etc…) that does.

We extend our check-in time to 7pm every day of the week. After that, we are forced to keep someone at work (who started at 8am) at an overtime rate that often absorbs any profit we might have seen from that particular B&B rental. Our site and reservation protocol clearly define both our check-in policy and our late check-in policy to include our inability to waiver on either. Every once in a while, those policies are not acceptable to a person’s individual agenda and therefore feel our inability to change those policies are “shocking…” When such persons become too argumentative and inconsiderate about those policies, we have recommended they consider an alternative to our facility for we truly feel our program is best enjoyed by those who come into it with an open mind and a receptive attitude. We would hope that anyone reading this review will consider the many other reviews that will lead them to question the validity of this one.

Respectfully,
Charlie Sammut, Owner
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

We stayed here in November and can honestly say this is an absolutely unique experience. The staff was friendly and informative. The animals, especially the elephants are great. Our kids, ages 6 and 9, had a great time feeding them both at their bedtime and at breakfast. The pictures I was able to take are priceless and memorable.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank rockycharles2013
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

My wife found this opportunity, and I admit I was skeptical at first, but it was a fun and enlightening experience! In the morning, a staff person brought us our continental breakfast (not skimpy on the portions!), and a trainer brought an elephant for us to feed (from fresh fruits and vege's they provided for the elephant) from the front deck of our bungalow. Maleika the elephant was very tame and well-behaved. She put her trunk up to the railing on our deck, and we were able to hand the food to her directly, touching her trunk with no fear of any aggressive behavior. Later, we took the 1 pm tour of the rest of the animals at their compound. We had no idea they had this many animals! The animals were inside their cages for our tour, and we weren't allowed to touch them, but we were just a few feet away from them, and it was an educational experience.
The bungalow was nice--probably better than we expected for a "tent cabin," though since the day had been very cold, it was quite cold in the bungalow when we first arrived. The small, portable floor heater took a long time to heat up the room, but the heated mattress pad on the bed helped a lot.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Don D
Sacramento
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

My wife, boy and I went for two nights and had an absolute blast! We were arriving past the check in time, which is tough for any B&B to accommodate but they did. Having the elephants Butch and Maleika serve us breakfast was an unbelievable experience. The afternoon was a cold driving rain so instead of the seeing the parade of animals they offered to let us help put the elephants to bed. We are telling everyone they should visit, and we are sure to return. The staff was very courteous and knowledgable. They were also very patient to answer all 1,000 of my wife's questions. :)

Room Tip: If you have a kid(s), bring a ball or frisbee to throw around. All the tents have great views, but...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Don S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salinas
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
Carmel Mission Inn
#8 of 25 in Carmel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,605 reviews
Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa

Been to Vision Quest Safari Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!