I took my two sons to Salinas to visit the Steinbeck museum and found Vision Quest through Trip Advisor. My youngest son (11) is into animals so I thought it would be fun. It was so much more! The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The bungalows are beautiful and very clean. We visited right after Christmas so it was cold at night but they provide a space heater and both beds had electric heating pads that warmed the beds up so we were very comfortable all night. As we fell asleep we could hear coyotes in the hills, lions roar early in the morning and many other animals (we couldn't figure out which ones) "talking" to each other. The most amazing part though is the animals. After checking in we sat on the observation deck and watched the elephants, water buffalo, zebras and ostriches do what they do. Then the staff brought around a couple of animals for us to meet up close and gave us a brief lesson about the animal (a kinkajou and a coati). I splurged for the boys and myself to do the "Bedtime for Butch" which was the opportunity to see three elephants up close and feed them hunks of bread. The boys and I will never forget that experience. Butch (the larges elephant) brought us breakfast to our bungalow and we got to pet him and get our picture taken with him. Check out was at 12:30pm which allowed us lots of time to relax and eat breakfast and get cleaned up. After returning our key we went on the 1pm public tour of all the animals. It was a very informative tour, the staff was eager to answer any of our questions, and you can tell that they really care about each of the animals and their well being. My older son (15) loved this experience as much as my younger animal lover, so I would say it is a great experience for families (well-behaved toddlers and up) and couples.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Listen to the lions and tigers roaring only yards away from your authentic African style bungalow...go on an African Safari in Monterey! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz so you can book your Vision Quest Safari Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vision Quest Safari Bed And Breakfast
- Vision Quest Safari Hotel Salinas