“Great choice for Monterey if you need a kitchen and/or staying for an extended period of time”

Residence Inn Salinas Monterey
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Salinas
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The nice thing about this Residence Inn is that there is a big lawn in the front of it, which pulls it back from traffic. Others had complained about the neighborhood behind the property, but we did not experience any noise or other problems. If you use the kitchen, the kitchen supplies were spotty. (Only one pot and one frypan.) The staff was excellent. Monterey was only a short drive away, so this place is a good choice if you are visiting Monterey and need a kitchen and/or staying for an extended period of time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Great hotel if you are interested in staying somewhere a little bit away from Monterey. Helpful staff and a pretty decent complimentary breakfast. The only thing was that is got a little crowded during that time. We bid on priceline and got an amazing $120 deal over Memorial Day weekend. Not bad!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2012

The trip was for myself and parents. We took 2 bedroom suite. It is always nice to have separate bedrooms. It's so nice to have a full kitchen so we can fix something to eat whenever we want. Just like home - we go out and use all the energy up walking / hiking / driving - come back home and relax.
The free breakfast is pretty good! Not like restaurant of course but they have many items to choose from.
Thanks for the free Internet access and laundry availability. Gym - only OK for cardio, no weight available. Birds that live in the room are the morning alarm :)
Did not see many families with kids or very young people (at least during my stay) so it was always quiet and no one is running around or crying/screaming.

It seems everyone who works here is happy and they are all very friendly.

Housekeeping forgot a few things but all was solved by a phone call and it did not matter too much because the entire experience was good.

Location - right off of freeway. Restaurants and shops nearby. If I was in the area again, I will choose this location again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AFunSeeker
Reviewed April 26, 2012

My husband and I decided to stay here instead of paying the high prices in Monterey. We were more than happy that we made that decision. On our way from San Simeon, we called to get directions and Paul helped us get back on track since we had to take a detour on the way to the hotel due to an accident on the road. Upon our arrival Paul greeted us with a nice smile and a handshake and got us right to our room. He then gave us recommendations on places to eat, he was extremely helpful and we were two tired travelers by that time. Our room was immaculate, large and peaceful. We had a great night's rest here also. Breakfast was plentiful here also and very good. Definitely will stay here again!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed here with friends on my way from San Francisco to the Monterey Peninsula. Got to the hotel around midnight and checked out by 7:00 so my observations, like my stay, will be brief.

Nice enough room (2 bedroom suite) but nothing out of the ordinary. Breakfast was pretty grim. I liked the waterfowl on the lawn near my car when we left.

All in all my expectations were not very high since my stay was going to be brief and there was nothing particularly special about the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jreilly2010
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Within a year, we have stayed at this location a dozen times. We love the suite arrangement and love the location although there isn't much to do in Salinas really. It's always clean and comfortable. Front desk is always pleasant to converse with. One nagging negative is the very crowded breakfast arrangement. There's no place to set your coffee cup as you're getting sugar and cream for it. People are always crowding around the food. When food items and drinks run out, the food personnel appear upset when reminded that food has run out. I think the food area is poorly designed and the effect is irritating. We have skipped breakfast and have gone to IHOP across the street. The particular feature is clearly unfortunate though.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank 4crest
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I'm platinum with Marriott and this is one of the worst properties I've stayed at. I think the floor, ceiling and walls are made of papier mache since you can easily hear average level conversations on all sides, and the bed slopes to the bathroom. The room is adequately clean so I can't give it a 1. But to top it off, the staff checked me in, then 20 minutes later checked someone else into the same room. To my surprise, someone opens the door. When I check in with the desk the next day (because they invalidated my room key) they said, "oh sorry. That's my fault." That's it.

This place doesn't sour me on all Mariott properties, but I certainly wouldn't come back.

Room Tip: Top floor corner unit to only have to share a wall with two other tenants.