“What a turnaround !!!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 23, 2013

What a turnaround! We have been here twice before our visit this time, and twice the service had really struggled. The first server on the first trip was blatantly ignoring us, I really don't know how a server can walk by and think we don't see him and he doesn't see us , this guy was full of himself, and should have been in a trade where ego maniacs can prosper. Certainly being a server was not his bag. The manger was hidden, the staff wasn't trained, it was a mess. Great investment , nice place , great potential, but wrong staff.

Second trip, was worse, long wait times, yet this time the waitress looked as though she had the deer in the headlights look, and she was the deer. The place was packed and she was run over by the stampede. Way in over her head. Poor thing.

Something changed this trip: the waiter was ON IT! The drinks came fast, appetizers on point, food on time.

So I see this large looking dude sweeping under the tables , I told my wife, there's the , manager. She disagreed and said please don't say anything to him, he's not the manger he's the busboy. So I asked our waiter , hey is that guy the manager? He said no , he's the ...general manager...so the big man is sweeping floors ? !!!??
Our waiter said that he himself and also been a buss person before he was a waiter, and this GM was the best he had worked for, says the GM doesn't say much unless it needs to be said, other than that he's cool as can be.
If it wasn't for my sister in law liking the berry desert, we would never have gone back before that night after two strikeouts.

Now I'm glad I did , when I see the GM working so hard on the staff and sweeping floors, im going back, because even when it's busy like that place gets, I know someone is really trying,

A GM that sweeps the floors, while walking around the restaurant , checking it out, probably washes dishes too. And the waiter complimented his gm? dang, thats cool. That's a manager. Great job!

What an improvement!! Stay on it!! Well be back!

There are newer reviews for BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We didn't even get a chance to eat here - we were SO rudely treated while waiting for a table, we left and went to a nearby restaurant instead. We had JUST moved to the area and were up in Salinas doing some shopping with our toddler and decided to stop in here for a burger. It was not that busy, we walked in, weren't even greeted by the hostess who was looking down at her podium, and when she finally did ask us about our dining preferences, she still did not look up. We asked for a high chair for our toddler, as she was getting antsy and we didn't want to have to keep wrestling her back in the booster seat during our meal. This, I suppose, was a point of contention for them. We waited and waited for a table. Another hostess came up and said, "When I come back, I'll get you a table." Before she had a chance to walk off, another couple walked in the door, were greeted promptly by her, asked, the usual "how many" and were seated right away. That did it. We stormed out of there. We sat there for 15 minutes waiting and yet she sat another couple who had JUST WALKED IN. We will never again go to this place - I almost called the manager, but I felt I had wasted enough time with this restaurant and I would not give them the pleasure of wasting more as no amount of conciliatory measures would EVER convince us to come here again. My hope with this review, is that it will keep others from being treated as were that night. Go to a restaurant that appreciates and wants your business.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

This relatively new arrival in Salinas is a nice addition. Happy hour is the best deal when individual pizzas are half-price and other appetizers are $2 off. The spinach and artichoke pizza is surprisingly tasty. When the place is busy on weekends the service can be slow, although the servers are always friendly.

After many visits I usually gravitate to the Santa Fe Salad with an optional piece of blackened salmon. It is one of the most satisfying and healthy entries I have had anywhere.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

BJ's restaruant in Salinas, Ca. is fairly new to Salinas. The atmosphere is interesting and exciting
Service is good and the food is great. If you like to drink beer, they have a great selection.
They have a " Black & Blu burger that is to die for.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I love BJ's and have been there numerous times at this location in Salinas. Last night was horrible! We got in at 7:00, and had just a 10 minute wait. A couple of freinds of ours was there about the same time. They got seated just two min before us. We waited over 20 minutes to get our dirnks! No silverware or napkins were on the table yet,either. A little apology from the witress after I asked why it took so long. Then we waited almost an hour to get our food. We finally got it and still no silverware/napkins. Asked the waitress again why it's taking so long, and she said our order got deleted?? or Lost!! Finally got the silverware/napkins ten min later. Then I asked to talk to the manager, my freind who was with me told him how long we waited for drinks and our food, the manager totally apologized and said no charge on the entire meal. We got a bill of $25.00. I called the manager on my cel from our table since it was easier to do that than try and flag him down! I asked why are we being charged for drinks if they were taking care of the entire meal? He talked to his boss, and took the drinks off. This didn't really leave a very good impression on my freind's first time there. I coaxed him to giving it another chance. I will probably go back again, but I was totally disappointed with last night!