“Great Meal and Supporting a Great Cause”
Review of Rancho Cielo

Rancho Cielo
Ranked #6 of 335 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2014

While the menu is generally limited to four three-course (salad, main course and dessert) meals (steak, salmon, chicken and vegetarian), the choices are all outstanding meals, and the prices are very modest (about $30 per person). In addition, their wine selection is very modestly priced compared to most commercial establishments. Lastly, they support one of the most effective programs combatting gang influence in the Salinas area.

One reviewer did note that finding their location can be challenging if you rely solely on GPS. If you're going to visit them, definitely Google them first, and use the map shown on Google!

1  Thank Art93908

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Like other reviewers I can't believe I waited so long to visit here. The whole concept of the Culinary Academy is a winner for everyone. The students in the program get the opportunity to learn a skill that will privide them a real option for gaining a great career. For the dinner guest they get a first class meal for a great bargin. Your meal cost is based on the entree you order and the highest price is $30. With that you get your choice of three different salads, your entree, three-four desert oprions, severved with coffee or tea. Plus the tip is included in the price. Beer & Wine are extra but very reasonably priced. Although the dinner is served as fine dining the dress "when you go" is casual.

2  Thank Jim P
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

We just had our company Christmas party at Rancho Cielo and I was absolutely blown away! I've dined at 5 star-rated restaurants before but I've never received the level of service I got from the students at Rancho Cielo. Not only did I receive a basket of gluten-free bread, they made the sauce for my salmon (which was cooked perfectly) with rice flour rather than just giving me salmon with no sauce (which is what any other venue would do). Fantastic food and outstanding service will keep us coming back for sure!

2  Thank Vickie B
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The Rancho Cielo Drummond Culinary Academy is a fine-dining restaurant on Friday nights from October through July. This is a true hidden gem in Salinas; a diamond in the rough.

My wife and I have been here several times, and we continue to be very impressed. The food is professionally prepared and beautifully plated under the watchful eye and guidance of Chef Paul Lee. Although there are students responsible for prepping, cooking, plating, etc., these are very well-trained students and it shows!

I would highly recommend the Culinary Academy for a night out of great food and great service at very reasonable prices. And, to top it off, you'll be supporting a great cause.

2  Thank mikegrattan
Reviewed November 5, 2013

If you enjoy EXCELLENT food and simultaneously wouldn't object to being a part of something that actively helps to create an opportunity for a young adult's 'skills training' ..this destination hits the mark on that objective & more!
Admittedly, I can't say that I am a 'foodie' or a 'wine connoisseur' but I have the good sense to know what is good.
In my opinion, this is very good!
From my understanding; the meal prepared by students is overseen by an accomplished top chef, so you can't go wrong on the meal.
The service is a 'work in progress' while being closely managed by the dining room manager(s) who actively assist in the service where needed.

2  Thank John P

Been to Rancho Cielo? Share your experiences!