“Nice and new”

Best Western Plus Salinas Valley Inn & Suites
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Salinas
Reviewed March 22, 2009

This hotel is great. Big rooms, very clean/totally new now. We have been staying at many hotels recently including Mariott residence and this is competitive with most of them. Now we just stopped in off freeway, and I hear Salinas is not so nice, but for a place to crash for the night it is better then we would have expected, and we got it for 70$ + tax which seems more than fair. There was only 2 cars in the parking at 8 pm... Extremely fast internet, but with no customers I guess it would be...

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 31, 2008

From previous reports I was expecting the worst with this place, but it's actually very nice - I wonder if some of the reviews are for the other Best Western down the road.
Had a few problems checking in, they couldn't validate any of my cards, but eventually they sorted it out.
The room is very smart, king size bed, TV, fridge, microwave, free wi-fi, nice bathroom as well.
My room was away from the freeway so didn't encounter any noise issues.
There is a bleach type smell when you enter reception, but I think that was because the door to the housekeeping area next to reception was open.
Breakfast was included in my rate but it was very basic, cereal & pastries, juice & coffee
A bit pricey, but not bad overall.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2008

Several families stayed here for Softball tourney.. Cops came to property to clean out the pimps and ho's. Didn't help the next night gals still coming and going. Staff did not care.. maybe getting kick back.. across the street run down apartments, loan stores and pawn shops. get the picture..nice place to stay if you are hiding from the cops..

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We stayed at this hotel in order to save money on a trip up the coast. I was a little hesitant based upon some of the reviews here which is why I decided to write my own review. I don't know if some of the negative reviewers were getting this Best Western confused with the other Best Western, which is actually in the same parking lot as the diner and the In-n-Out you see mentioned in other reviews. The Inn & Suites is the farther one...the one that is at the end of the block. We had a great experience there with our 20 month old toddler. We had a King suite and got a great rate for a four night stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and attended to any needs we had promptly. The rooms were very clean and spacious, all with a refrigerator and microwave which was very helpful in keeping my toddler fed with his healthy favorites instead of having him eat a bunch of junk food at the diner or at In-n-Out. The suite also had a bedroom with a regular door so we were able to give our baby his own room at night just like at home. We could stay up and watch tv without disturbing him after he went to sleep.

There are only a few things to be aware of if you stay at this hotel. The first is that there is NOTHING to do nearby. There is the diner, which closes at 9:00 during the week and 9:30 on the weekends, and there is In-n-Out. Other than that there is really nothing nearby so bring some cards, board games, etc. to play while you kick back in your room for the evening after eating dinner out of town somewhere like Santa Cruz, Monterey, etc. because there are really no good restaurants in Salinas either. The diner food is actually pretty good, but how many times can you eat there in one trip?

The other two things are about the actual hotel itself. First, it can be noisy...but what hotel is not noisy? We did happen to have a room that was next to an outside door and the parking lot so we picked up quite a bit of noise from those things in the mornings, but that is to be expected when you stay in a hotel of this level. It was not excessive compared to other similar hotels. My baby was not awakened one time by the noises...in fact he slept in every single day of our stay. The other thing is that I had trouble with the internet connection not working in my room. Though the staff tried to help out, I could not get a signal unless I went out into the hallway. No big deal if you are not in urgent need of the internet while you are on vacation.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel for those of you looking to save some money on a trip up north. The staff was friendly, rooms were very clean and well kept, and there is easy access to all the attractions including Monterey, San Jose, Santa Cruz, Carmel, and Big Sur.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2008

To start off, there are two Best Westerns that are three doors away from each other. This is the one that is further down the road. The entire road is dedicated to hotels. The area is a little lower grade. Tough to describe- not dirty, not scary, but not comfortable either. The 101 is RIGHT next store. So when you make your reservation, be sure to ask for a room on the opposite side of the freeway. It is loud. Upon entering we got a very overpowering smell of bleach. It actually gave me a headache. The check in was quick, but when we go to our room, they gave us the wrong room type, so I had to go back down to fix the problem. They did it without any questions. Our room was decent, but the room and the halls all smelled like bug spray. It was a very weird smell. The workout room had the same bug smell and was very poor. The equipment is not at all taken care of, and was need of repair. The treadmill changed speed awkwardly and the upright bike sounded like it was going to die. What made it worse was the bug spray smell and the lack of circulation in the room. Tough to work out in. The pool was outside and small, but we did not use it. The room itself was clean, but basic. TV, small frige, and microwave. As I said earlier, the area is very drab, close to downtown. Close enough to walk, but definitely would not want to walk through this area- drive. Downtown had homeless people asking for donations. Back to the room- the airconditioning definitely worked- I froze. But it was extremely loud. It kept cycling on and off, and it was difficult to sleep with the noise. We could hear people walking above us and walking around. THIN ceiling and walls. Breakfast was very basic. Hard boiled eggs, and danishes that you can get from Costco. All in all, a basic place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael B
Reviewed July 28, 2008

My husband and I decided to go to Monterey for two days. It was kind of last minute, so trying to find a place to stay on a Saturday night at a reasonable rate was not easy. I found this Best Western in Salinas, the rate was a little higher than what we like to normally pay, (but the cheapest I could find ) this is to be expected for a weekend. When I made the reservation I had also placed a reservation for Sunday night in a place that was actually in Monterey. The Sunday night rate was cheaper, but about the same as it would have been here at BW. I wanted to be closer in so I chose to stay our second night in Monterey. Was that a mistake!! I wish I would have stayed my second night here as well. This place made our second nights stay look like a dump. The people here were very nice. The room here at BW was very clean and quiet,. I had to ask for some additional bath towels, but I got them right away without any problems. The place is within walking distance to a diner and an IN N Out and the the drive into Monterey was not bad at all. In fact we found the drive very enjoyable. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2008

We stayed at this hotel as a stopover on our trip down the coast. It was a nice hotel for the price. The staff was friendly. Location is so-so (especially arriving after dark which we did). We arrived around 10pm and sped thru check-in easily.

Beds were firm but comfortable. Room was clean. We didn't use any of the hotel ammenities.

We had a complimentary breakfast buffet which was small but adequate. It consisted of danish, english muffins, toast, waffles, apples, and cereals. The coffee was not the greatest. There was oj and apple juice as well. Nice perk having the free breakfast included in the price.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family