“Excellent value”

Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Salinas
Palo Alto, California
“Excellent value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Very nice and clean facility in Salinas, which is on about 30 minutes from Monterey, but much less expensive than Monterey. Indoor pool and spa, and free breakfast are very nice bonuses. Hotel and rooms are modern.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
gmKalpna, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Salinas, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Your business is appreciated. Thank you for staying at our hotel and hope you stay at our hotel again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
Tracy, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is my first time to write a review but this is one time I must! When I pre reserved the room I logged into Comfort Inn Salinas, CA. Since they didn't have a place to request handicapped, I called the number on the screen. I told the reservationist my need for a handicapped room - no problem! After a long drive it was good to arrive with my handicapped sis. I had a gut feeling to go in first and look at the room! The Owner took me to the second floor (it did have an elevator) and to my surprise the dingy room had a BATHTUB, and I commented on how LOW the toilet looked. In an irritated manner he said, "handicapped can be anything from being deaf to a broken harm!" Well, that's just fine! But what about those who can't walk and need a shower? I spoke with the woman at the front desk who I think was his wife, and said, "we can't stay here and since I gave my credit card info when I reserved I hope I'm not charged." Very defensively, she said, "YOU need to talked to Expedia!" Well, how did they get into the picture? She said she didn't have their number and yet she said they called her to ask about the room before we arrived. I said, "You must have the number as you said you spoke with them!" This couple was of ABSOLUTELY NO HELP and had NO COMPASSION! I went back to the car not knowing what to do when I remembered the phone No. must still be viewable in my phone. I found it and got Hotel One. Well how did THEY NOW get into the picture? After talking to and being transferred to 5 or 6 people and them calling me back twice, Customer Support said, "I wouldn't have to pay for it. and they would email me a confirmation" (which I didn't receive.) I went back in to inform this couple and a different woman was at the desk and said they left for the night! In disbelief, I said, "WHAT? This is just SO WRONG!" ( In fact, the first woman had been watching me from a dimly lit window while I was in my car trying to make calls!) Gal No. 2 said the reservation agency will pay for it. I said, "No one should pay for it as it isn't suitable for a handicapped person, at least one that's in a wheelchair and can barely walk!" We went next door to Best Western (on the north side of Comfort Inn, there is also a BW next door to the south, but only had one bed) that had a handicapped room where you could wheel your chair into the stall with a bench. The floor was dirty and needed to be scrubbed (I put towels down) but at least it was a "handicapped" room on the LOWER floor! Other than that, the room was nice. By now it was late and we were both exhausted! Not to mention all the stuff one has to hall into a room when traveling. I just viewed my credit card statement and I was credited.

Room Tip: There are three hotels in a row. For some strange reason, Comfort Inn sits right between two Best W...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sandy K
gmKalpna, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Salinas, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
I am writing in response to your comment. I would like to inform you that we did review your comment to appropriately address the issue. It was brought to my attention that the initial call made to our hotel regarding handicap room was done by a male who was informed of what type of accessible room we had available, which was the room with the bathtub because the accessible open shower room was not available. Moments after, your reservation came through our reservation system through online paid reservation from travel agency (Expedia). At check-in our front desk was able to show you the room that was explained over the phone, which at the time you did not want to accept. In addition, it is hotel policy of no same day cancellation that all travel agency is aware of. Paid online reservation by travel agency on same day cannot be cancelled which means travel agency is obligated to pay. In addition, it is unfortunate that your accessible room at Best Western was not clean to your expectation.
Thank you for your comments, it allowed us to provide explaination regarding our hotel's accessibility room features.

Travelers are raving about these Salinas hotels

Dronfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had stopped off at the National Steinbeck centre something we would recommend that everyone does. As we arrived at a hotel we both had a feeling about it and this proved that sixth sense really does work. It was wonderful.

Never asked but assumed the front desk person must be the owner because she was so helpful. She went through the check in process very efficiently and because we are choice hotel members she offered us an upgrade free of charge to a suite with a king size bed. The room was great, it was spotlessly clean, large and totally free from noise of any description. Before bed we had a swim in the heated pool and also did our laundry (front desk told us the laundry closed at 10.00 to ensure others were not disturbed).

We both had a great sleep. Breakfast did not disappoint either.

We are just over mid way on our 35 day tour of the west coast and wish we could take this hotel with us.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor at the back.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Clean place and good value. $89.00 with the triple AAA discount, included the standard breakfast at these type of hotels. Decent fitness facility with an indoor pool and Jacuzzi. I usually stay at the Holiday Inn but they were sold out on this trip. Comfort was equal in amenities for a better value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

The room was near the laundry and someone used it at 1:00 am ! No sign about use restriction.
I talked to the night attendant, but he apparently did nothing and at check out in the morning, the manager almost treated us as liars...
The breakfast is poor and we sit just beside the front desk allowing the manager to listen to conversations.
Do not go there !

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank fredonateur
, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Salinas, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Thank you for your expressed complaint with your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your comment because comments and complaints are welcome to provide our staff feedback regarding our guests experiences at our hotel. Unfortunately, regarding the complaint of laundry usage at 1:00A.M can not be controlled by our front desk staff, as it is in our guest decretionary to use the aminity of our hotel. Furthermore, it is unfortunate that front desk manager's response regarding your request for refund came across unsatisfactory. However, as informed by front desk, you and your family enjoyed our hotel's complementary breakfast. In addition, the location of the breakfast area allows our guest to sit anywhere they please and do not restrict guest of thier seating choices. We thank you for staying with us.
Elkhart, In
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

Ended up staying 2 days before flying out of San Fransisco to save a little instead of staying in San Fransisco and paying three times the price for a hotel. Owners checked us in and even upgraded our room. Stayed last Thursday & Friday and service was very nice. Desk clerk each morning was very helpful too. The owers told of places and things to do nearby. Our hotel room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was normal eggs and sausage each morning but still good. Area is nice and able to even take a morning run and be safe. Would definetly stay again if in area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at our hotel. We are glad that your stay with us was comfortable. We appreciate your business and do hope you will stay with our hotel next time your in town. Thank you very much.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

Me & my husband came into Salinas from Fresno to go see the Artichoke Festival in Castroville about 10 miles away..I reserved 1 night, we checked out, then decided to stay another night, we came back to the Comfort Inn Salinas & the front desk person was so kind & welcomed us back at the same rate, also the hot breakfast, eggs, sausage, waffles are a plus..had a great stay and will plan here for future visits.

• Stayed May 2012