Travelers Hotel
$121
$118
Hotwire.com
$115
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My friend and I needed a place to stay in the Salinas Monterey area. At first we were skeptical because it has mixed reviews, but we were completely satisfied. Our room had a private bathroom (not all rooms do). The room and bathroom were really clean, fresh and comfortable. We checked out the public bathroom, and it was just as clean as ours. There is no elevator but no big deal. The indoor property is safe and has a lot of history. It’s the only hotel in downtown Salinas and perfect location with easy access to public transportation and tons of restaurants. It’s a nice little treat to walk to the nearby cinemas to watch the latest blockbuster movie and have a drink at the Monterey Brewing Company after long day of walking and sightseeing.
I wasn't expecting a whole lot for the price but the Travelers Hotel was better than anticipated. Kevin the front desk manger was super friendly and definitely made us feel at home. I think we definitely come back again if we came to Monterey. Thank you Kevin for making our weekend memorable.

Room Tip: kevin is super sweet and kind!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank akp99
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The hotel is a very nice place in the middle of the city of Salinas. The main street is a few steps away, with restaurants, movies,...
The hotel is not luxorious, but it has everything you need. The prices are really resonable, even during events in the city.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.
For uncomplicated travelers this is a good place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lea H
Reviewed July 6, 2012

A wonderful surprise ! The attendant could not have been any more friendly, he was really helpful and welcoming. The rooms were cheap and really comfortable, we are really happy we stopped here !

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Ariellejoy
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Let me start by saying that I'm not an overly picky traveller. I'm okay with almost everything, but I hate being fooled. If this 'hotel' was $15.00/night, I'd say it was okay, but we paid $62.00 (sic!) for a night in the most awful hole I've ever seen in my life and believe me, I've been to some places and slept in some motels that were much cheaper and much better. Let me also add that the room we got (they call it a standard room) does not even have a bathroom and you need to share bathroom and toilet with other guests. As soon as I woke up in the morning, all I wanted to do was to leave. The place is a mess, it smells funny in a bad sense and opening a window does not help. I'm pretty sure all furniture there was in the room was collected from refuse heaps. The fridge was massive and old, and it was standing in the middle of the room as if it was some kind of a wardrobe, what the heck? The sink was disgusting, I don't think it was cleaned for a long time. The tap made those high pitch noises when you were opening it. The window sill was DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY, same as the curtains, it looked as if they were stained with blood. The walls are painted with oil paint that is peeling off in some places. I honestly don't know how to explain how creepy and hideous this place was. I stayed there because I booked via a site and knew I will not be refunded if I want to leave. They put some blurry pictures on the site and photographed a better room and here I was on my honeymoon, disgusted to the bone. I would not even call it a hotel, it was like a creepy hostel from some kind of a horror movie!
The wifi was supposed to work in the whole building, it was not and I had to sit on the stairs to get the signal.
The good things were: central location, clean sheets (although there was no duvet, only a thin blanket and I was cold at night) and a nice, welcoming receptionist, however I do not think he was sober.
I have 2 suggestions for the management: either lower the prices considerably or invest some money (a lot of money)m in this pla I'm feeling fooled.
Good advice to those who consider staying there: book somewhere else, do not take this chance. My worst hotel experience EVER.

Room Tip: stay away from this place
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ola_912
Reviewed June 8, 2012

If you're ok with unsafe, drug using, foul smelling environment you have found your paradise away from home! While this place is ok with some people, for me it was horrific. The aroma of that placed lingered well into the night after we refused to stay in the establishment. We asked to cancel our reservation after seeing our room and feeling incredibly unsafe and they refused. We are still working on the matter and Kevin is claiming we stayed the night when we did not. Do not bring kids here... or anyone you care about. It should be condemned.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a tv that plays more than adult pay per views. Unless that's all you care to watch.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends