“Great time”

Monterey Zoo
Ranked #5 of 31 things to do in Salinas
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Take a Walk on the Wild Side! Visit Monterey Zoo and see a collection of over 100 animals as this zoo is fast becoming a premier Monterey Attraction. Currently under construction but still open daily for all to see the progress and hopefully help support this special effort to improve the quality of life for the animals and the community that enjoys them.
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We really enjoyed seeing the big variety of animals and at such close range. Really fun to be able to feed the elephants! Went with our young kids and they loved it. Really cool for us adults too.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

This is a must stop at place if you enjoy wild life animals from around the world ... Tigers , elephants , Lynx , Laughing Hyena , Alligators , Pelican , Lions , Zebra , Monkeys and so many more animals $10.00 for adults and $8.00 for kids and for $5.00 more per person you can do a meet and greet up close and personal with the animals ... Very cool place that is soon to be listed as a zoo :) Enjoy my wife and I sure did ...

3  Thank Buckeye1983
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We took the VIP tour, then later did Crunch Time and Butch's Bedtime. It was AWESOME. We got to pet a Siberian Linx (she was soooooo soft), hold a Capuchin Monkey, wash an elephant, feed an elephant, help feed some of the big cats & put 3 elephants to bed & feed them a snack!!!
Every staff member we dealt with was pleasant, knowledgeable and friendly. By far the best money I have ever spent on a vacation.

2  Thank Rachel K
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I took my grandsons to see the animals. We saw a camel as we drove into the parking lot and were greeted by many wooden bears. The tour begins with a video describing various options one might choose to do on the premises for future trips. Our guide did a great job of talking about the animals on the one hour tour. Although the majority of animals were the exotic cats, there was also a pelican, alligator, hyena, large rodent, small deer, kangaroo and two monkeys, but no bears. It was interesting to see the animals, however most were confined to small chain-linked cages. The cages had no information about the animals such as: name, origin, natural habitat, approximate age, eating habits, unique characteristics, etc. which would have greatly assisted the visitors in learning more about the animals as well as recalling the information given orally. The animals did look to be very well cared for. Portable outhouses were provided for visitors. We look forward to the facility's desire to become a zoo and creating more open areas for the animals to be viewed.

2  Thank DebbieT11_11
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I, too, had thought that the animals were all rescued from movie/television programs, circuses, or private parties. I was disappointed to find that many were from breeders. That aside, the tour was both informative and interesting, with feeding the elephants the high point. My only criticism was that most of the animals were singles (the alligators and baboons had companions). I truly believe that animals need companionship of their own kind. The tour guide said that they are the animals' family, which is all well and good but does not address the aloneness of the animals when they are caged and separated from others. I understand that the facility is looking to be zoo-accredited and that enclosures, instead of cages, are in the future for these animals. But, for now, while they are certainly well taken care of and appear to be healthy, they remind me of the old zoos that had cement floors and iron bars. Another thing I noticed is the lack of landscaping (grass or trees) in the few enclosures that they did have, such as at the driveway entrance where the camel and other animals were. A dusty corral did not look very homey or comfortable. The same in the elephant enclosure. Plenty of room, but no grass or trees .... just a field of hard ground and dust. I'm sure they do their best with what they have, but their advertisements, promotional video and the reality of the place just do not match. And, what's with the dog kennel with all the barking dogs that were very disruptive during the circular tour? All in all, because I love all animals, it's a good place to go to see wild animals without traveling to the Oakland Zoo... still.... let's hope Wild Things is able to improve in the future.

2  Thank DavidHousings