“Great alone or with friends”

National Steinbeck Center
Ranked #1 of 31 things to do in Salinas
More attraction details
Owner description: A celebration and exploration of the well-known author's work through multi-sensory exhibits, priceless artifacts and live theater performances.
Reviewed July 31, 2013

If you enjoy works by John Steinbeck, this is a great place to see. Even if you are not a Steinbeck fan, you might really enjoy this. The docents are very knowledgeable, and, like Joe B, had known Steinbeck personally. I have been there a few times, and don't tire of seeing the actual truck Steinbeck used in his "Travels with Charlie". Too, there is a gallery around the corner featuring the work (as I write) of Joe Bragdon, a beloved local photographer who attempted to woo a woman after having worked in the cannery, stinking of fish guts no matter how many times he showered. Doris, who eventually married him, says he was a great guy when the wind was blowing right.

I have visited the center alone, with my partner, and with relatives and strangers. All really enjoyed it.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

When I planned to visit friends in the Monterey area I promised myself that I would read some Steinbeck, as his books had drawn worldwide attention to the area. I started, by chance, with his 1961 Winter of our Discontent. I really enjoyed his central character, and other male characters. So I was particularly pleased to visit the National Steinbeck Centre at Salinas. I thought the thematic approach adopted in the museum, was excellent. It was a great introduction to the writer's world, his books, the films of his books, and the chronology of his life. The focus is on those writings set in the locality, so there wasn't much about the book I had read, which was set in Long Island. I was particularly interested in the living conditions of the fruit pickers. I am glad to report that they are vastly better than they were in the early 20th century. I visited the house of friends in Moss Landing. Most of their neighbours are fruit pickers.
I feel that my world has been enriched by Steinbeck and I intend reading some more of his books.

1  Thank Dublin-4Pat
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

A Great Opportunity for alittle Education about the Salinas Valley and the Peninsula , Family oriented

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I thought this was a wonderful museum and had a nice lay out. Not too big, but it helps if kids already know about who Steinbeck is and have read his books. I was not able to get my 15 year old granddtr. to spend much time there. I found several of his books that I had not read, so that was great for me.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Everyone in our family, teenagers and adults, loved visiting the Center. The museum is not large but all of the exhibits were of a very high quality. The museum not only provided a wealth of information about Steinbeck and his works, but also about the Central Coast, California agriculture and the people who worked the land, social history and Steinbeck's influence on American cultural life. It is an easy 1/2 hour drive from Monterey and the parking is easy as well. My kids said they really enjoyed seeing Salinas and the Central Coast;s farm country, as it helped them to visualize the settings of Steinbeck's work and the landscape in which he grew up.