“Great stay -- if you can afford it.”

Meadowood Napa Valley
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Los Angeles
“Great stay -- if you can afford it.”
Reviewed July 5, 2007

DISCLAIMER: I stayed here 2 nights for free because my wife was working for one of the sponsors of the Napa Valley Wine Auction. We did pay for our food, but the lodging was free (well, she was working the event, so she earned it in my eyes.)

That being said, this is a really nice property. Secluded. Quiet. Upscale goes without saying given the price tag. But not pretentious -- I have a low tolerance for going places where people are there to be seen: this is not one of those places (but when you tell locals you're staying here, they always say, "oh how nice!" as they raise their eyebrows).

To get the most out of this place, you really need to stay probably 4-5 nights and use the pool, spa, tennis courts etc. We didn't have a chance to do any of that since we had a full schedule with the Wine Auction and attendant gatherings (dinners, lunches at local wineries and restaurants).

Staff was very friendly and helpful. NEVER got any attitude from anyone on the property.

Room itself was very nice -- like having our own little bungalow. Having said that, do I think it's worth $800+ a night? Eh, I dunno about that. But it was spacious, had a GREAT bed (seriously, the most comfortable bed I have EVER slept in a on vacation - I was tempted to ask what brand bed it was!), nice bathroom amenities, and a nice little patio overlooking the golf course.
Yeah, the TV is small...but who comes to Napa to watch TV in their room? If you do, I pity you.

The in-room breakfast brought to us was good, but frankly I've had a similar breakfast at the San Francisco Marriott that was just as good at half the price. Staff was great though: they forgot my orange juice and brought us 2, one on the house. Nice.

Only gripe: we left our room the second day in the morning. When we got back at 3:30 p.m. to take a break and freshen up before dinner, the staff was still cleaning our room, so we had to wait in the lobby/lounge area for about 45 minutes until they were done. This kinda thing shouldn't happen on a property like this.

Like another reviewer said: if you have cash to burn, by all means, stay here. If you're like my wife and myself and prefer to throw down $$ on food and going out and seeing the sights instead of where you hang your head, you can probably find just as good a room for much less in Napa.

• Liked — The bed and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Price tag -- if I were paying, I can't honestly say I'd pay this much just for a room.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Arlington, VA
Reviewed June 4, 2007

This is a great place for a couple to get away from it all. Great location in getting to other parts of Napa and many wineries, and not overly prententious. You'll need to make your own entertainment, but if you want solitude and isolation, this is the place for you.We stayed in February, when it was very quiet. The staff treated us like royalty. Extremely helpful in booking reservations for dinners or suggesting wineries. The fireplace in the room was fanatastic, the bathroom was one we'd love to take home with us! Our only problems were with the Wifi and the lack of cellular coverage without walking up the hillside. Since we worked partially during this visit it was incovenient but we managed. The staff worked hard to resolve our problems. The food on site was fabulous and the afternoon wine tasting in front of huge fireplace was spectacular.

• Liked — bathroom
  • Disliked — wifi
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed April 25, 2007

This was my first experience at Meadowood, and it was quite nice. The property is huge, and lovely, with acres of trees and the golf course. It seems to extend over a mile or so, and a golf cart takes you to your individual cottage in the woods.
My room was exqusite, with a private entrance, lots of windows, sisal matt rugs, a writing desk, flat screen tv, fireplace, and seating area with a soft throw blanket to drape over my legs as I relaxed and took in the beauty of the place.
There was an incredibly comfortable King-sized bed with lots of pouffy sleeping pillows and halogen reading lights...
A large box of complimentary chocolates awaited me, and I have to admit I tasted each of them quite happily !
The big, airy bathroom was wonderful, with candles by the tub, heavenly smelling shower and soap and lotion amenities, a wonderful large shower with both an overhead rain head and a wall head, and thick towels to dry off with... A soft bathrobe awaited me in the closet, as did slippers...
Evening turn down service was a welcome touch.
Meadowood is evidently in the beginning stages of an 18 month planned renovation of the property, and the suite I stayed in was one of the newest re-do's... It was exactly what was shown on the website, and I was quite pleased.
Prices are VERY high, so do ask before you make a reservation, as some of the rooms are much older, and may not be as luxurious -- until they have been remodeled/updated.
The dinner menu was superb, and reservations are recommended.

• Liked — Beautiful accomodations with exquisite views of the golf course and forest
  • Disliked — Very large and sprawling -- need a golf cart to get around...
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank CinderellaDearest
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 13, 2006

The setting here is lovely and we found the staff to be excellent. The lobby with the large wood-burning fireplace is very comfortable and inviting. You feel quite secluded in the woods. Spa services were very good. Restaurant very good, not excellent.
The rooms (at least ours-Hillside Cottage) could use upgrading. The sofa was very uncomfortable and the room showed some signs of wear.
But overall a good experience.
Can't comment on value for price as there on a paid group outing.

• Liked — setting
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank merbel
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 2, 2006

We recently spent four days at Meadowood. Our stay was fantastic. The facilities and service were top notch. Our favorite experience was dinner at The Restaurant. Incredible food. We each chose the tastings menu. We also had dinner at Auberge du Soleil, and we found the experiences to be comparable. Daily breakfast at The Grill (on the terrace) was a great way to start each day. Beautiful views and excellent food. The pool is the perfect place to cap-off a day of winery visits. We plan on returning next year.

• Liked — Great service
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank EBanks
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 29, 2006

Fabulous service - lovely rooms. Our weekend at Meadowood was perfect!

We had dinner at the Grill - a delight. Room service was fabulous & front desk staff was phenomenal.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbia, SC
Reviewed May 7, 2006

My husband and I spent part of our honeymoon here in January 2002 and it was amazing. Very secluded. We stayed in an Oakview room which was a beautiful semi-suite with a gorgeous seating area and fireplace, enormous glass bricked bathroom and wonderful amenities.

We were greeted with a gift basket and a local red wine as a gift from a family member and we enjoyed what is the best breakfast I've ever had. We hiked on the trail that encircles the estate, but didn't have a chance to enjoy the pools. Many people were playing tennis and enjoying the spa, but we didn't have the time to do all of that.

We would have loved to stay longer!

• Stayed January 2002
#4 of 30 in Napa
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#6 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Meadowood Napa Valley? Share your experiences!