“Fantastic service and one let down”

Meadowood Napa Valley
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Houston, Texas
“Fantastic service and one let down”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

For my wife's birthday we spent two nights at Meadowood. This was our first visit to Napa. Some of our friends forecasted - once you go to Meadowood, you won't be staying anywhere else. We thought we could tell within an hour of arriving how true that was.

Service - impeccable. The service is all bright, cheerful and warm. A sense that the bellmen, front desk, room servers, etc. all genuinely want to help you permeates every part of service.

Grounds - incredible. This is a luxurious outdoor experience. The weather and the forested nature of the grounds made for a beautiful setting.

Rooms - incredible. The room we had was spacious and looked like it came from a designer catalog. The bathroom was very well appointed. We also loved the fireplace.

So what keeps Meadowood from 5 stars? It wasn't the fact that golf was pulled off the table on me a few days prior to arrival. It was the failure of their concierge.

The concierge helped get us a spot at the Chefs Counter at the Restaurant. I want to say that before I describe what happened just to say the concierge isn't a total failure.

We asked the concierge to put us on the wait list at the French Laundry. We knew this was a very long shot. I emailed her and said be sure to have them call my cell. I also emailed to check with her on the status before we arrived. What happened is that the day we were in the wait list the French Laundry called my home in Texas and didn't leave a message (while I was in Napa). Fortunately our babysitter noticed it on the caller id and called me. I called but it was too late. I did call the concierge and explained this. The hotel manager on duty did call me and said that I was now at the top of the wait list. Whoop-dee-doo.

Unfortunately this black mark discolors our impression of this hotel. We were ready at one point to call and ask for another night we were enjoying it so much. However after the incident we decided to continue on our trip. We will come back to Napa but we will see if it is to Meadowood.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MeadowoodResort, General Manager at Meadowood Napa Valley, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Nicole, I DO apologize for the noise you experienced. We were doing a bit of updating to our fairways and our new Spa is under development as well, but we believe we are behind the noisiest stages of both. Thank you for sharing such positive and kind comments. I have a gift in mind for you when you return to us so please let me know personally when you might be headed back our way. You may reach me at 707-967-1235. Alex Kim, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Portola Valley, California
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Meadowood is a beautiful property set on 250 acres in Napa Valley. With highly attentive staff and beautifully appointed rooms, our stay was very special. Dining at the Restaurant at Meadowood was truly exceptional and an added bonus to our stay. There was extensive construction under way - both at the golf course and at the rooms next to ours. The construction is loud and makes the time there a little less pleasant but it was extraordinary nevertheless. Would be great for couples and families.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MeadowoodResort, General Manager at Meadowood Napa Valley, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay at Meadowood despite the bit of noise caused by recent improvements. We appreciate your bearing with us during this time. We are committed to keeping the property fresh and relevant and we look forward to having you return to enjoy our new Spa and updated fairways! I will share your positive feedback on your experience in The Restaurant at Meadowood with the members of that team. Thank you for choosing Meadowood and for sharing your comments. Alex Kim, General Manager
Roseville
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Meadowood's attention to detail, overall beauty and location makes it truly one of a kind. The croquet courts are especially beautiful and manicured to perfection. Unfortunately the golf course was under renovation but maybe next time.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I greatly appreciate your pointing out our attention to detail. It is one of the qualities I believe sets Meadowood apart. We are dedicated to noticing the small things and making sure we get them right. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your anniversary retreat. If you choose to return to us for your next anniversary, you will find new experiences awaiting you! Alex Kim, General Manager
Suffolk
Reviewed July 11, 2014

If money is not an issue this is the most fabulous place in Napa Valley to stay. The staff are superb and ready to manage any request you may have down to the color and type of flowers you may desire in your room upon arrival. The Restaurant is difficult to make reservations for on the weekends so book early.Not to worry, The Grill right next door has the same great food in a relaxed atmosphere that does not require a jacket with the game on and a great deck that overlooks the golf course. Staff are ready to meet all your expectations. The property is amazing to see with a hiking trail that is a must. If you don't wish to walk a car service will have you where you want to be within minutes. The only criticism I have is housecleaning forgetting to leave enough towels and amenities on our last night. We will certainly return for another visit to Napa Valley and choose to stay at The Meadowood given their amazing staff and attention to details that made our 25th Anniversary a trip to remember. Dr. Martin.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dr. Martin, I am so appreciative of your sharing such a comprehensive review of your stay. I am so pleased we were able to provide you with a memorable anniversary stay. Thank you for noting our attention to detail and the professionalism of our staff. We're honored you will be returning to us. Alex Kim, General Manager
San Carlos
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed in a treeline cottage which is very private and quiet. It was very relaxing and spacious. The meal at the Restaurant was a delight as well as our visit to the kitchen. The spa experience was one of the best ever and my husband's tennis pro coaching was worth the entire visit.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed The Restaurant. I'm especially heartened to hear about your positive experience in the Spa. We have a warm, skilled and caring team and I believe they provide absolutely exceptional treatments. It will make us all very proud to move the spa team into their new surroundings when our brand new Spa opens in late summer 2015. The new Spa will offer a spacious, all suite environment even more conducive to quiet contemplation and relaxation. Tucked into a beautiful, forested hillside, we know this will quickly become a favorite spot on the property. I'm also so glad you mentioned our tennis experience! Our Tennis Pro, Doug King, has presided over the property's tennis program and seven courts for more than 25 years. He's an outstanding teacher, coach, mentor and guide to enjoying a lifetime of tennis. We look forward to seeing you again. Alex Kim, General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We enjoyed Meadowood. The room felt just like our vacation home consolidated into one room. You have a front porch and wood burning fireplace- it's a comfortable space. We enjoyed the hiking trail, tennis, pool and spa. There are lovely views from the hiking trail. The property is also well located in St. Helena to run into town. We had been staying in Yountville visiting wineries prior to Meadowood so it was the perfect getaway to unwind. We would have liked to visit the Napa Valley Reserve on property but were unable to.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

It sounds like you equally enjoyed your time on and off the Meadowood estate! While there are endless ways to enjoy the property, we are also fortunate to be located so closely to downtown St. Helena. I love to walk Main Street and pop into century-old field stone buildings for a meal or a special purchase. I also love the town's important history and landmarks, including Greystone, which is now the west coast campus of the Culinary Institute of America. To better accommodate our guests who wish to explore the surrounding areas, we are now happily providing complimentary car service to both downtown St. Helena and downtown Yountville, so if you did not take advantage of this service on your last stay you can make a note to do so on your next visit. We hope you will return again soon to your wine country "vacation home." We will look forward to welcoming you back. Alex Kim, General Manager
San Jose
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Meadowood is perfect in every way. The beauty of the landscape is matched by the courteous service, great food and well-appointed guest rooms. The only other place I feel as comfortable and relaxed is home.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MeadowoodResort, General Manager at Meadowood Napa Valley, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
We're so happy you found perfection at Meadowood! We aspire to have all of our guests feel as if the property is a second home. It's so heartening to have succeeded in your case. There will always be more experiences to discover on the estate so please do return to us often! Alex Kim, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Helena
#4 of 30 in Napa
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#5 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Meadowood Napa Valley? Share your experiences!