“Oasis in Napa”

Meadowood Napa Valley
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Reviewed May 22, 2014

First time to Napa, we were looking for a place where we could enjoy Napa and relax. On the plane a woman recommended Meadwood. Well, Meadowood was exactly that. A beautiful spa resort tucked quietly in the woods in St. Helena, CA.
Celebrating a special birthday for my wife, we enjoyed a beautiful room overlooking the croquet court. With temperatures in the 90's, unusual in May, we enjoyed relaxing at the pool. It was heavenly. We had a few problems with our room, but they were quickly resolved by Daniel Hauck, General Manager. In honor of the special birthday for my wife a bottle from Gamble Winery was in our room to celebrate the occasion. Joel Holland, Director of Rooms, made sure everything was perfect for our stay. Would definitely recommend this resort for anyone who is looking for exceptional service and a respite from the world. Come to Meadowood.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
MeadowoodResort, General Manager at Meadowood Napa Valley, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Shayne, I'm so glad you're one of those travelers who likes to engage in conversation in-flight! The Croquet Lodge is a signature location at Meadowood with views of the croquet lawns, fairways and wooded hillsides. There are several room types in this lodge and it sounds as if we found just the right fit for you. I will pass along your kind words to Daniel and Joel. Whether for another special occasion or just for a bit of relaxation in a special setting I hope you will return to us soon and often. Alex Kim, General Manager

Reviewed May 21, 2014

The setting is delightful, but the design and operation of the facility are not. The junior suite in which we stayed had little privacy. Any service people coming to the suite looked directly into the bedroom window. Similarly walking up to our room the path led close by the bathroom window of another room where we observed a woman preparing herself for the day. I expect privacy at this level of accommodation.

It is a large property which requires considerable maintenance and the maintenance noise distracts from the otherwise pleasant environment. Memberships to the pool / gym etc are sold to the general public so these areas are much more heavily used than were it just hotel guests. I did not expect to listen, while sitting on the deck of my suite, to an afternoon of screaming children at the swimming pool when I booked my reservation.

We've stayed at both the Four Seasons Bora Bora and twice at the Post Ranch Inn during the last two years, both of which are in the same price range and both are a much better value and experience. Also annoying for a room in this price range is the "nickel and dime" charges for minor amenities. $7 for two Fig Newtons, $12 for a small tin of jelly beans and a $7 service fee to deliver room service food, in addition to a mandatory 20% service charge? At Post Ranch the amenities, including a couple of splits of wine are gratis, included with the room.

You can dine at the restaurant without being a guest, there is no reason to pay these rates when you can get a better experience for substantially less at nearby hotels.

2  Thank Boatguy54

I am disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the level of privacy of your guest room and that you were disturbed by noise. We are absolutely a country destination and you are correct that there is a fair amount of work that goes into maintaining the estate. That said, we rarely hear that we have caused a disturbance to our guests so I apologize this was your experience. In terms of the privacy of our guest rooms, we have a vast collection of guest room types and locations. We do welcome families to Meadowood and many of them enjoy being in the vicinity of the pool for convenience. I am absolutely certain had we spoken to you more carefully prior to your arrival we would have been able to find the perfect guest room style and setting for you. I would like the opportunity to regain your confidence. If you will do me the favor of reaching out to me directly, I will be most appreciative. Alex Kim, General Manager 707-967-1235

Reviewed May 19, 2014

This is our second stay and we stayed 5 nights. We stayed with a group of 5 or 6 couples for a corporate event, and it was universally agreed that the resort is perfect. It is gorgeous, full of trees, endless views, a golf course, lovely restaurants, and lots of wildlife like deer, wild turkeys, frogs, swans, etc... The rooms are top notch, with private patios to enjoy the scenery, very comfortable beds, spacious living rooms, lots of windows to look over the golf course, and special goodies like taffy at turn down service. The staff is very attentive and the service is excellent. The massage from Widadi and the facial with Summer was first class spa treatment. This is a great place to relax and just forget about the rest of the world.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you kindly, Cindy, for taking the time to share this feedback on your stay! I'm always delighted when guests are with us long enough to experience so many aspects of our property. In fact, one of the most common comments I hear from first-time guests is, "If I'd known how much there was to do at Meadowood I would have reserved a longer stay!" It is heartening to know you enjoyed the beautiful setting, broad array of activities and amenities and the exceptional care of our staff. I will pass along your positive comments to our staff members in the Spa specifically. I hope you will return again soon. Alex Kim, General Manager

Reviewed May 18, 2014

This place is pretty and quiet and the staff on site are quite friendly. I just don't think it is worth what they charge in this area of California. The management is not particularly keen on accommodating requests for room changes, not upgrades, just a room change. They try to get you to pay more but from my experience, this place is just not worth the money. We stayed at bardessono in Yountville a couple of months ago and while expensive, I felt the room was worth it. Bottom line: you don't get what you pay for, the room is average, and there are better places to stay in wine country. If you have money to burn this place may be for you. If you are splurging and want something nice, don't bother with this place.

2  Thank jennfromcali

I am very sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations with respect to our service or room product. We are in the final stages of a complete renovation of our guest rooms and have been experiencing incredibly positive feedback in terms of of the selection of room types, square footage, decor and comfort. I am very curious to know which room type specifically did not meet your expectations and I am equally interested to hear the specifics of how we fell short of providing you with alternate accommodations that would have met your expectations. I would be so pleased if you would reach out to me directly at your convenience. Alex Kim, General Manager 707-967-1235

Reviewed May 13, 2014

This place is so quiet and beautiful you feel like your in your own private estate! Great food and service, will def be back! Croquet was so much fun! Get an instructor and enjoy a glass of wine while you play!

• Stayed: April 2014

Teresa, we're excited to hear you loved everything about your stay! I hope you'll return to us soon. It sounds like you enjoyed many of our services and amenities...but there are more to be discovered! We look forward to creating many more happy memories for you. Alex Kim, General Manager

Reviewed April 25, 2014

It was wonderful to return to Meadowood. We felt very much at home in the cozy cabin with the well stocked fireplace. Wonderful service. World class massage. Great food. Serene setting. Excellent running Hearing the turkeys gobbling in the woods every morning was a treat.

Room Tip: Be sure to reserve a room with a fireplace
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LovesRestaurants2014

Well...since you're as close as Santa Barbara...head on back here for a few more days of fun! The hills have turned from green to golden since your visit. The grape vines are now verdant and the temperatures are warm and inviting every day. Our dining services are now open for the season around the swimming pools and we have a new array of summer dishes, cocktails and wines by the glass perfect for enjoying al fresco. Come and enjoy a bit of summer with us! We would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back to the estate. Alex Kim, General Manager

Reviewed April 16, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at Meadowood several times, including our babymoon last weekend, and it is by far our favorite destination in the Bay Area. We've stayed in rooms all over the property and always have an exceptional experience. The combination of luxury and serenity makes for an amazing experience. I highly recommend brunch at The Grill and if you come for a special occasion, the experience at The Restaurant at Meadowood is not to be missed. We are also a big fan of the little touches, including afternoon cookies and Arnold Palmers and nightly wine tastings in the hotel reception area.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

I'm so pleased you enjoyed spending your babymoon at Meadowood! We will stand by for your next visit when we will be happy to provide you with a crib in your guest room and a special baby welcome amenity for your new little one. We like to start making Meadowood memories from the very beginning! That's what is meant by a "home away from home." All best wishes to you and thank you for allowing us to have such a special place in your lives. Alex Kim, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Helena
#4 of 30 in Napa
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#5 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Meadowood Napa Valley? Share your experiences!