“Lovely spot”

Meadowood Napa Valley
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in St. Helena
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is a large and lovely country club feeling property in a great location near St Helena. The rooms are spread around the enormous grounds, some with views, some with less privacy -- so I would choose carefully -- you might like to be set in the woods, or you may prefer to be closer to the faciities. The pool was big and very fresh and clear; but the spa is small with no real "day room" to relax in -- apparently, a new spa is being built (I did not try a spa treatment, but heard they were excellent). The service was attentive and friendly throughout. Our suite was very pleasant, with a nice sitting porch and gas fireplace that we used at night -- but we did hear noise from the attached unit early in the morning.
Do have the concierge book some of the smaller, more interesting wineries for tours and tastings in advance of your stay -- these book up, and the commercial wine tasting places off the main roads are crowded and not generally as interesting. I wish we'd gone to see some of the smaller, more unique artisan vineyards.
There were nice bikes to rent at the resort, which we used, but beware -- the intense traffic on the main road isn't bike friendly, though the terrain is flat and the views are lovely.

Room Tip: Look at a map of the property, ask questions and choose carefully -- some room are very far and uphi...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbeque

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Friend of mine stayed here for a work conference so I was able to crash with her for the weekend. I'm really torn with my review. Honestly, the place is nice but if I had to pay to stay here, I wouldn't. It's the resort life but missing a few things and keeping the steep price.

GROUNDS:
Just beautiful. Everything is nestled in the woods, hence the name. The place is so big that after you check-in, they have someone that drives a lead car to show you how to get to your cottage.

ROOMS:
We stayed in the Treeline Cottage. The outside looks a bit old and scary. Bedroom was well appointed in heavenly whites. However, the living space was a different issue. The pull out sofa looks like something they grabbed from the Holiday Inn. Most uncomfortable pull out EVER! It was just lopsided in every way possible. For something that is pushing $700/night, I expected a little more out of the room.

AMENITIES:
They have so much to do here. Hiking, swimming, fitness classes, picnic areas, tennis courts, spas, golfing and so on. Just check their website.

I only had the chance to try the pool for a few hours. 1 kids pool and 1 adult lap pool next to it. Everything was fine until we ordered a few drinks. 3 GREY GOOSE SHOTS AND 1 BLOODY MARY CAME OUT TO BE $82!!! Seriously... the 3 shots alone were $54. OUTRAGEOUS! Gratuity is automatically added in your tab as well. After being charged this, we didn't bother trying the restaurants inside. I was able to grab a large dinner for 4 at KFC and a bottle of Grey Goose at Safeway for same price as those 4 drinks at the pool.

I want to give the place 4 stars, especially because of the grounds, service and amenities. I just can't seem to do it since I don't think it's worth the price tag.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2013

From the moment we arrived it was vacation time.We started out having lunch at The Grill.Service was great and so was the food! We sat outside on the deck overlooking the golf course.When we checked in they took our luggage as our room was not ready yet.We had booked golf and enjoyed the beautiful course.After golf our luggage had been taken to our room.Our room was bright and airy with a sitting area,stone fireplace and large deck surrounded by trees.The bar area was stocked with many choices of wine and liquor.The ice bucket was already filled.Spacious bathroom with soft terry robes.We booked dinner at The Restaurant that night and it was our only disappointment our whole weekend.We were looking forward to dining there Saturday night.I loved being picked up by a driver and taken to the restaurant.They were always so friendly and the service is a great perk to have.We stepped in to the restaurant and there was no one to greet us.To one side was a fireplace with people sitting around it and straight ahead was a bar.We waited and then walked to the left which was not the restaurant then started to the right when a young woman came out and then greeted us.She then led us to the table but I couldn't follow her because she went in between the middle bar and a table and there wasn't room to get by so I went around another way.When seated no one came to the table for quite sometime.When we did have someone come we asked for help with the wine list which also took a long time.Our service definitely lacked the whole night.We will talk more about it in the restaurant review.The next morning I got up early and did the hiking trail around the resort.The trail was a good work out and the views were incredible.I loved that they had water bottles placed throughout the trail.Very nice touch and unexpected but appreciated as it was a tougher hike then I thought it would be.I would love to come back and try the Spa,pool and tennis that was also available.We ate the next evening at The French Laundry which was the wonderful dining experience we had expected at Meadowood but didn't get.We slept in and loved that The Grill served breakfast anytime.It made for a wonderful relaxing morning and brunch experience.I can't say enough about how friendly and wonderful the staff were.We also enjoyed the wine tasting in the reception lodge.The flowers and landscape were beautiful and our room was comfortable and immaculate.Our thanks to the concierge who arranged our reservations for dining at other places and was very attentive to our needs before we came.

Room Tip: Our room was upstairs with trees outside our balcony and room.There was no noise.Beautiful and quiet...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night only in one of the wooded suites, room simple but gorgeous Fantastic huge fire ,2 porches ,huge bathroom,lovely bed linens and views overlooking the woods.The staff are wonderful,very friendly,unbelieveably helpfull yet extremely professional.A fleet of mercedes suvs are on hand to take you around the resort or to nearby wineries.Went to both restaurants The Meadowood for cocktails and the Grill for dinner.Loved both places in particular The Meadowood as the decor is gorgeous and our server(sadly cant remember he name) was so helpfull in suggesting nearby wineries to visit.To sum up ,this is truely a one of a kind place to visit,expensive but so worth it,you really are treated like VIPS and everyone should get the chance to visit somewhere as beautifull as this.Cant wait to go back for our anniv next year. !!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
MeadowoodResort, General Manager at Meadowood Napa Valley, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

We're thrilled to read your comments! Most of the members of our staff live in close proximity to Meadowood and know our community, including our wonderful local wineries, very well. You will find nearly every member of our team will be happy to recommend favorite places to visit and call ahead for you to make arrangements. In reality, the Napa Valley is a very small place, only about 35 miles long and five miles wide. This makes for a close-knit community and a very warm and hospitable one as well. When you experience gracious service at Meadowood it's because this is how our staff members really feel. They're happy to be here and equally happy to be helping our guests to create magical memories, both on and off the estate. Please do come back again soon! We'll save two seats in The Restaurant at Meadowood for you so you may enjoy yet another new experience...and a romantic one at that. Alex Kim, General Manager

Reviewed April 27, 2013

The staff, the grounds, the food and the spa are all amazing! It is pricey, but we try and go back at least once every two years. The treetop rooms are too "woodsy" for us but we LOVE the rooms b the Croquet area.

Room Tip: I love the rooms by the croquet area.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello Hilary! The Napa Valley is a truly romantic destination and we love that so many couples utter the words "Yes!" "I will!" and "I do!" during their stays at Meadowood. Thank you for returning to us over and again to relive fond memories and create new ones. I would like to welcome you personally with two flutes of Champagne on your next visit, so please contact me at 707-967-1235 when you plan your next stay. Thank you! Alex Kim, General Manager

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Meadowood Napa Valley is an adventure and a vacation the minute you turn off the highway. Quaint but modern, the resort has an "oldtime" persona, from another time and place in American history - the kind of place that makes you relax and slow down the moment you drive up the lane. That said, our rooms (and all the main areas of the resort we visited) were updated and new, Adirondack-cottage style. Tucked away off the main roads, past a vineyard, down an olive tree lined lane, and finally up a steep hill into the woods just outside of St. Helena, Meadowood is exactly what my husband and I needed to recharge our batteries this weekend for a romantic weekend without any family or friends (not that we don't love them all, but sometimes it's just nice to be alone). Highly recommend Meadowood for anyone looking for some pampering time, especially i think, in the "off season" when the kids are in school and families may not be summering there. Mid week would be great. We found the resort to be blissfully quiet, the weather absolutely perfect in April, and once all the doors are closed and the shades drawn at night, incredibly peaceful.

The staff is friendly and soliticious. Before arrival, Bob and Denise helped us plan as few or as many activities as we desired, including arranging massages, hiring either a service or driver for wine tasting tours, making dinner reservations. (We chose a driver with an SUV for wine tasting one afternoon and were really pleased with Mr. Smith's services. The resort also offers driver service into St. Helena for dinner or shopping, which is only about 5 minutes away but a nice touch because we did find that parking in St Helena on Saturday night was challenging and we should have called for the limo instead of taking our car.)

On arrival the front desk greeted us with an itinerary and a bellman to show us to our cottage and handle our bags (let them - most of the cottages are up many steps, part of the charm is the fact that nothing is on the road level). For activities we chose a couples massage (heaven), wine education program (interesting), in room dining twice (dinner the first night since we were so tired after traveling and breakfast the next day) - food was great both times, but there was a delivery fee plus a tip plus a service charge. the delivery fee seemed a bit strange, but the food was delicious, hot, and arrived quicker than we were told it would take when we ordered it. We did not have time for, but normally would have looked into/enjoyed complimentary zumba classes, yoga classes, hiking and running around the many trails throughout the 250 acre resort. We also wished we had more time - to take a croquet lesson!
The staff goes out of their way to pamper you and do everything to make your stay memorable. Every night while we were at dinner someone snuck in and closed all the shades, turned down the bed, set out slippers, turned down the lights, and left water bottles on either side of the bed for us. Our Oakview cottage had been remodeled beautfiully - simply but elegantly with white paneled ceilings and walls, custom color-matched roman shades, new dark wood furniture with clean lines, a round rock fireplace, flat screen TV, small couch, desk, small table for meals and a small deck with new outdoor seating furnishings, which we enjoyed for reading in the sun and the beautfiul view (you are up in the trees). The bellman showed us that the fireplace was set up and ready to use. The spa-like remodeled white and grey marble bathroom was huge (for a hotel) with double vanities, a double headed walk in shower and separate tub, lovely amenities including bath salts and candles, morning papers delivered upon request.
There are children allowed on the property and you could sometimes vaguely hear the pool if you were on the deck, and we were very close to the heavily used tennis courts, but we did not experience any of the loud noise mentioned in other reviews from the Oakview cottages. When we drove around we noticed that some cottages were in remodeling phases, but we did not hear any noise from them. The cottages have AC, but at night it was so cool you did not need it. During the day if you shut the porch door and turned on the AC you could not hear anything outside of your cottage (ie tennis court or pool).

Room Tip: ask for a remodeled room up in the trees. They are fabulous. Ours was near the tennis court and pool...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
MeadowoodResort, General Manager at Meadowood Napa Valley, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you kindly for such a wonderful and detailed review! We do find that our guests (romantic couples in particular!) appreciate our private setting. We are fortunate to be located in a beautiful 250-acre valley off the Silverado Trail just east of downtown St. Helena. This setting afforded the opportunity to locate our guest rooms across vast acreage, further ensuring tranquility for our guests. I know I say it over and over again, but I really do love to hear positive feedback about our staff. I'm glad they were instrumental in creating an enjoyable itinerary for you. You are the first couple to have offered feedback on our new Oakview Rooms! It's very exciting to hear that you felt so favorably about the new decor and furnishings. We feel so fortunate to be able to offer our guests many guest room styles from which to choose. We hope guests will return to us often enough to sample many rooms and ultimately choose a favorite! We also debuted our new Hillside Rooms this spring and we hope they will be as well received. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon. Alex Kim, General Manager

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This resort is tucked away just outside St Helena. Its rooms are set in a beautiful setting with great amenities. Great for a family or romantic get away. STaff was incredibly helpful and courteous. Everything from the workout facility, tennis courts, hiking trails, spa and swimming pool was great. The croquet field requirements are strange and a bit offputting but other than that, it is ideal. I could also see this as a great multigenerational trip location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
MeadowoodResort, General Manager at Meadowood Napa Valley, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Hello and thank you for writing! I'm so glad you were able to enjoy so many of our activities during your stay. Most particularly, I appreciate your kind words about our staff. I do regret that you felt somewhat disappointed by croquet. I am thinking you are referring to the dress code for this unique sport, which is white attire (with khaki pants being okay as well). I would very much appreciate the opportunity to hear about your experience specifically so we can make sure to communicate this in a more positive way in the future. Should you have a spare moment to speak with me, I would welcome hearing from you. My direct line is 707-967-1235. Kind regards...Alex Kim, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Helena
#4 of 30 in Napa
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#5 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Meadowood Napa Valley? Share your experiences!