“Excellent food being squeezed out of a tight space” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cook
Ranked #12 of 49 Restaurants in St. Helena
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent food being squeezed out of a tight space”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

Great food. Diverse menu and wine selection at a very appropriate price point. Small space that will get loud. A good loud though.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank J R

“Excellent Mediterranean Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Excellent menu, presentation and service. Called in for lunch and was presently surprised. Accompanied a glass of wine and followed with dessert, choc cake with vanilla gelato. Another recommended restaurant in St Helena

Visited June 2014
2 Thank John H
Hong Kong, China
“Excellent, casual meal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

The food and service were great. The friendly staff explained the specials, each sounding better than the last, and helped us order a fantastic variety of dishes. The corkage-friendly policy was much appreciated, as we shared a couple of fantastic bottles purchased at Acme. While completely full, the service was attentive, and we were never rushed. A great find for an awesome meal in an unpretentious setting!

Wisconsin
“Loved the Atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

A charming little place on St. Helena's main drag. We found the portions tasty but very small considering the prices. Our server could have been better trained and more attentive. Had more fun watching the eclectic group of customers.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Seattle, Washington
“A nice blend of Napa and Italy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

Visited Cook restaurant on Main Street, St. Helena this week (5/20/2015) for my first time. Always passed by it but wanted to try it out and I wasn't disappointed. I checkout on the menu online and was excited to see a Sauvignon Blanc from Elizabeth Spencer winery. Unfortunately, their online list was outdated but they did have a very good SB by the glass from the Gamble winery which perfectly matched my two meal choices. Smooth and refined Sauvignon Blanc, not grapefruit smashed in your face. Think of Sancerre with a hint of Napa lime spritz.

Ate at the bar, and I chose two appetizers from the menu, which consisted of a mix of California and Italian options, the same went for their wine menu. Bartender Jeremy nicely explained the chef spent time learning to cook in Italy. I choose a restaurant based on their appetizers listed. First starter was the handmade mozzarella accompanied by a green peas coulis or pesto and green sprouts which paired nicely with the wine. After that, I ordered the grilled octopus appetizer. I've speared, cured and ate fresh octopus (tako) on the beaches oh Hawaii, and this grilled octopus was perfectly tender and fresh. Too bad only 4-5 little pieces were on the serving. Accompanying the octopus was a bitter salad of red onion, white cabbage shavings and pieces of grapefruit, all which clashed terribly with the creamy and sweeter aioli and olive oil drizzle. (Chef, please take note!)

Jeremy saw that I was done eating and took my plate away but promptly laid the check down in front of me. UGH..! I'm not finished my wine, and maybe I want more? Is it time for me to go? That's what I love about dining in Europe. Waiters wouldn't dream of giving you the check until you asked for it. In the USA, it's all about table turnover. Otherwise, the food and service...REALLY WONDERFUL and I definitely recommend Cook restaurant!!

• Visited May 2014