“Excellent spot for Picnic in a Garden”
Review of Rombauer Vineyards

Rombauer Vineyards
Ranked #10 of 116 things to do in St. Helena
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Our St. Helena Winery, set high on a tree-covered knoll just off Silverado Trail, features a lovely porch with stunning views of the Mayacamas Mountains, a garden with over 100 varieties of plants and flowers, whimsical works of art collected by Koerner Rombauer and wine caves. We offer tastings by appointment from 10 a.M. To 5 p.M. Daily.
Southern Cali
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Excellent spot for Picnic in a Garden”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I love gardens and we had our picnic here when passing through Napa Valley. They have lovely gardens and each picnic table is relatively private and shaded by trees. And it's free. Parking was easy and close to the tables, wine tasting inside if we wanted, its was just a smooth, good choice. My pics are here with wine tasting coupons too: http://bit.ly/17eABT0

1 Thank suzette008

259 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 179 helpful votes
“Nice hilltop setting”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

A nice visit to a serene location on top of the hills is St Helena. I missed the driveway as the sign is small so be careful. The winery is located on the left hand side of the road as you are driving north on the Silverado Trail. A rather small and drab tasting room that needs updating. The porch is a much better place to sit, relax and enjoy the views. As others have mentioned no whites this year and the reds didn't knock our socks off. But overall a great setting with gardens and trails to explore. The tasting fee is $15 which is cheaper than most wineries so I recommend that you plan a stop here.

1 Thank vsattui123
Port Orange, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“The Napa I had envisioned”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Having never been to Napa Valley, I had visions in my mind about what it would be like. From the moment we arrived at Rombauer Winery, I knew that my ideas of what Napa would be like were correct. The staff member who greeted us and served us was warm, friendly, and very knowledgeable and answered all of our questions. We were in the company of our daughter's new in-laws, and they visit Napa quite often. They were as surprised as we were when we were invited to tour the vast vaults of wine. What a fascinating experience! As a retired teacher, I felt like I was on a field trip to heaven! And of course, the wine was delicious! I hope to visit Napa again someday, and when I do, I want to see some of the many wineries that we missed on this trip, but I will also be sure to revisit Rombauer.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank lrj9845
Dayton, OH
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very disappointing - and this was one of my favorite wines.”
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Unbelievably, Rombauer is not pouring their flagship Chardonnay though they're more than willing to sell you a bottle. The staff was the least engaging we experienced on our week long winery trip - clearly disinterested. The tasting room is drab and small though the porch has excellent views and is a nice place to drink a glass or two. I was very disappointed. Rombauer will no longer be my go to wine.

1 Thank aebdcb
Chico, CA
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“Never miss it; never will!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

FIrst off I am in total dismay that folks are giving a low rating because the vineyard was unable to pour Chardonnay during their visits. Like the vineyard is responsible for Mother Nature providing a bad year and thus a low production! Hysterical!! Obviously you know what this wine taste like...now let's try something different and move on...
Now that I have that off my chest...Rombauer is and always will be my favorite vineyard. First because, yes they do have one of the best buttery, Napa style, oaky Chards but also because they take pride in their property, treat everyone as if they are special, and visit after visit they are consistant! Their reds are wonderful as well! Bold and flavorful and a peppery Zin!
From the moment you drive onto the property it's beautiful. Once you pass the America Cow and arrive at the tasting room the valet will greet you and make certain your car is carefully parked. There is not an unfriendly staff member at the vineyard. All of the staff pouring from the flight are more than just knowledgable, there are there to answer your every question and if they don't know they will quickly find out. On this given day we enjoyed sitting on their patio overlooking the beautiful grounds and valley. Our dog was greeted with a big bowl of fresh water and we enjoyed ample pours.
One can walk the grounds, picnic, schedule tours of their caves and really see how these family wines are made! This was our last stop and as always our favorite!!
For those complaining you could of purchased a bottle of Chard as it's price there is less than you will find it in any store. We left with two bottles and a membership to their whites!! So...if your complaint was about not getting a taste...come on...Mother Nature can't get it right every year and wine making is a precise science when it comes to that and Rombauer has it down pat if she allows!!

Visited June 2013