“fresh, tasty food, good service, relaxing environment”
Review of Market

Market
Reserve with OpenTable
Market is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 53 Restaurants in St. Helena
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Spring and Adams
Description: Market Restaurant offers an elegant yet comfortable dining experience. Located on Main Street in St. Helena, the historical building features exposed stone walls and an antique bar dating back to the turn of the century. The menu features American classics with a fresh seasonal approach and the wine list offers a diverse selection of wines to complement Chef's creations, with an emphasis on wines from local Napa Valley vintners. In addition to a locally inspired and reasonably priced wine list, Market never charges corkage.
Reviewed January 20, 2011

The brunch menu offers many tempting breakfast and lunch options! No kids menu but there are kid friendly options on the menu. We confirmed there was no egg in their Market Burger and got a plain, bunless version of that for our daughter (3 yrs old). She enjoyed it, even though she doesn’t usually love hamburgers. I ordered a coffee and the Belgium Waffle with fresh berries and honey mascarpone whipped cream. The waffle was heavenly! And not just because it is a waffle but because it was a particularly well done waffle (fluffy, moist, perfectly golden brown) that was elevated even more by being infused with the perfect amount of sweet, fresh orange flavor. The berries were fresh and the mascarpone cream added another complimenting, light yet rich layer. I dare say it was the best waffle I have ever had. I just looked at their menu online to make sure I recalled everything we ordered and it is different than the one we had when we were there, which is to be expected given the seasonal and organic approach they take. If the waffle is on the menu when you go, definitely get it! After seeing the beautiful dish brought to at least 2 other tables, my husband decided to get the Tuna Tartare, which he enjoyed.

As for being kid friendly, they were very welcoming. They do have high chairs and booster seats. They do not have a kids menu but they do have kid friendly options. Our waitress brought crayons over for my daughter, along with some old menus for her to color on.

More detailed review on my blog, A Mindful Life at http://blog.amindfullife.us/2011/01/19/restaurant-review-market-s-helena-ca/

Date of visit: January 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed January 2, 2011

We arrived in St Helena as the sun was setting, and by chance stumbled across the Market. It was about 5pm and the bistro-like restaurant was starting to fill up and get busy with local residents. We were met at the door by enthusiastic and welcoming staff and taken immediately to our table. Our server, Alfie, was personable, attentive and efficient, completely knowledgeable of the menu, and he made suitable recommendations for all courses. We told Alfie that we’d narrowed down our choices, and he suggested pairings of local Napa Valley wines, providing us with a small tasting before we ordered. Both choices were spot on.

For starters we shared the roasted baby beets and Belgian endive salad, and for mains we chose the porcini mushroom ravioli with shaved Parmigiano cheese, and the filet mignon with Bordelaise sauce. All plates were superbly presented, the food was fresh and flavorful. The filet mignon was cooked to perfection.

When it came time for desert, the menu offered many delectable options, making a choice all the more difficult. Alfie steered us to what he considered the best item on the desert menu, the butterscotch pudding in a waffle cup. I’ll admit to being reticent, since I’m not a great fan of butterscotch, having experienced sickly sweet, sticky gooey messes in the past. I had one spoonful, and completely understood why Alfie had recommended it so highly. The pudding was light and smooth, having the texture of crème brulée, with a strong but not overpowering butterscotch taste. I have become a butterscotch convert as a consequence of this experience.

In summary, an outstanding meal served by professional wait staff in a pleasant, albeit somewhat noisy atmosphere.

Reviewed December 29, 2010

The restaurant is warm and inviting from the moment we stepped in from the rain ... we had a reservation and were happy we did as originally we thought it's Tuesday night it may not be crowded ... we were wrong ...

Service was top notch ...our waiter's recommendations were spot on ... great wine list, great menu of comfort food ... we enjoyed our meals ... and loved that the service not rushed even on a crowded night.

Reviewed December 1, 2010

I previously reviewed this restaurant after a lunch visit, and gave it a glowing review. In that review I said we would go back for dinner when next in the area, so true to my word that's exactly what we did. Unfortunately this time it simply wasn't as good and we left quite disappointed.

We both ordered lasagne, with a green salad on the side; and we both found that the lasagne didn't taste as fresh as we'd remembered the food at Market to be, worse was that it was heavily over-seasoned, it was really quite salty, and also very greasy; and the combination killed the wine we'd brought in with us (so we put the cork back in the bottle and took it back to the hotel). I had almost ordered the fried chicken, but changed my mind at the last minute, as the lasagne should have paired better with the wine and in hindsight I regretted that decision.

To cleanse our palettes we ordered some sorbets that they were offering as a dessert special, and these were OK. So I'm not going to berate this place on the basis of one poor dish; because there is so much to like about it. Especially the 'no corkage, ever' policy which is laudable.

So go, you may well love it like we did the 1st time. But just don't order the lasagne.

Reviewed November 20, 2010

My partner and I spent a long, eventful day in Napa and decided, randomly, to park the car and walk along the road in St. Helena. We had no plans and no reservations anywhere. Then, we walked by a warm, inviting restaurant that looked like a diner to me. I didn't want to enter and find some place else. My partner insisted, though, as the menu appealed to him. Everyone inside the place seemed genuinely kind and friendly. We were seated right away and the server asked us some very intelligent questions about our food preferences. We both chose fish dishes and a soup. From the moment I first tried tried the soup, I could not believe how amazing it was. Our fish course was also perfection. The manager, I think it was, recommended the butterscotch pudding for dessert and, although I was skeptical at first, I LOVED it! The wine prices were also very reasonable. I forgot what I ordered, but it was perfect. I'm so glad that we "found" Market. We will definitely go there again soon.