“Nice dinner experience”
Review of Market

Market
Reserve with OpenTable
Market is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 52 Restaurants in St. Helena
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Spring and Adams
Description: Market Restaurant offers an elegant yet comfortable dining experience. Located on Main Street in St. Helena, the historical building features exposed stone walls and an antique bar dating back to the turn of the century. The menu features American classics with a fresh seasonal approach and the wine list offers a diverse selection of wines to complement Chef's creations, with an emphasis on wines from local Napa Valley vintners. In addition to a locally inspired and reasonably priced wine list, Market never charges corkage.
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Mussels as a starter were great, the sauce was very tasty. The size of the serving was somewhat large for a starter. The salad with tomatoes and water melon was a nice discovery. Very refreshing and light. Beef ribs were outstandingly tender, it was too soft cut! Trout was nice too. Even if the place was not too busy in the middle if the week, they did not give us any time between the starter and the main course. So it did not feel right, especially when you want to take time enjoying the food and the evening.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,062)

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I have to start by saying that our service at this restaurant was amongst the BEST we've ever had... anywhere! Our waiter... Ozzy... was AWESOME!!! He attended to our every need without being "annoying." He was always nearby, but not in our faces. He was professional, yet super friendly...very knowledgeable about all of the menus and had excellent recommendations! THANK YOU OZZY!!!

As for the food... superb! My husband and I were visiting the Calistoga/St. Helena area a couple weeks ago when the name of this restaurant came up in conversation with some locals. We made a reservation (it was a weeknight) for 7pm... when we arrived it was not very busy, just a few tables seated... but the place actually picked up later in the evening. The inside decor was great... high ceilings and an exposed stone wall... loved it! The gentleman (manager?) who greeted us at the door was very pleasant and friendly :)

We had the Lobster Rolls for an appetizer (Ozzy's recommendation!)... they were amazing!!! For dinner my husband had the Alaskan Halibut and I had the Spring Vegetable Pasta... both were EXCELLENT! For dessert we split their famous Butterscotch Pudding (which has had rave reviews from several mags and online venues)... OUT of this WORLD!!! Definitely worth trying (and splitting... it's rich!) Our whole meal, including tip, came to under $100... which we thought was WELL worth it! Oh... one other thing to point out... NO corkage fee! (we didn't drink wine this night, but I thought it was worth noting since apparently that's a common charge -$20- at the local restaurants) :)

Next time we're in the area, we'll come back to this great restaurant, and we'll be sure to ask to sit at one of Ozzy's tables! :)

1  Thank greenacres007
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I have a 2nd home here in St Helena. I try and eat out at different places...but Market is always excellent and one of my favorites. Eddie the manager always has a big smile and makes me feel like family. And Alfie is one of the best waiters! Friendly, attentive...he really cares about our dining experience. Of course the food is great and never a corkage fee! Thanks!

1  Thank CaptainStevers
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Like many others, we found this restaurant after visiting a winery. The menu looked good so we sat at the bar and ordered lunch. A nice variety of lunch items, many we would have enjoyed. We chose the Soft shell crab sandwich and the jalapeno steak sandwich. Both were excellent and Chelsea Jo, the bartender and our server was friendly and service forward. I noticed from our perch at the bar that the manager on duty was everywhere. He was seating people, drying glass ware, and doing whatever it takes to maximize service in his restaurant. He was also coaching a new employee on how he wanted things to be served. My observation is that poor service in restaurants is caused by poor training and management, but nothing left to chance at Market. Good for them. If we lived in the Napa Valley, we would be regulars

Reviewed July 12, 2014

What a delightful place to dine. Loved the ambiance and our waiter. Friendliest wait staff I have encountered in a while. Had the cold soup of the day and it was delicious but the best part of the meal was the dessert. I have never had butterscotch pudding like that before and it wasn't heavy after the big meal we had.