“Middle of the road restaurant in a great building”

Wine Spectator Greystone Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Deer Park Road
Description: Enjoy an innovative menu inspired by bounty of Napa Valley with seasonal ingredients sourced from the CIA's own farm and other local purveyors. Our California wine list, noted for its depth, enhances the dining experience, while the spectacular landscape and vineyard views set the stage for a rich and satisfying dining experience.
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The ambition is high but not very often reached. It is not bad at all it is just not a food experience. The highlight is the wine tasting packages.

There are newer reviews for Wine Spectator Greystone Restaurant

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I went to a late lunch here with friends after some wine tasting. The dining area was not crowded, and it was a little cold in there. They asked us if we wanted water, and we said yes. It took forever to come. They offered bread, it didn't come until we asked for it after the entrees arrived.

The prix fixe menu was treyf, so I didn't have it. My friend did, and I think dessert was the best part--although he said the steak was good. I started with the butternut squash soup, and the pomegranate seeds made for surprising bursts of flavor. My husband started with the steak tartare and it was excellent. I had the lamb ragout as my main entree, which was good, except for the big clump of pappardelle in the middle. It was a lot of food. At our table the duck was the clear winner. It might have been the best duck I've ever tasted. And the celery puree was heavenly.

For being the Wine Spectator Restaurant you'd think they would ask us if we wanted wine or make wine suggestions. No. The service was really sub-par. The time between courses was excessive--and we are very leisurely eaters. I think it was at least 20 minutes between the entree and dessert.

The food overall was excellent, but the service was bad enough to keep me from ever going back or recommending it to anyone.

FYI--the CIA bakery cafe is closed until February. Chocolates are still available in the gift shop.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

There were no students at this time of the year so presumably the food and service was all provided by regular staff - the food was very good and the service was just acceptable. It did seem expensive relative to the quality; for this price, it should have been a legendary experience, which it was not. The starter "Today's Temptations" was a pleasing sampling of essentially multiple amuse bouche; this was excellent. For first courses, we had butternut squash soup, beef tartare, and "little gem" salads - all very good. For main courses we had pork ragout (unremarkable), pan seared striped bass (good), and duck with gnocchi (good). We had to repeatedly ask for everything, from water refills to bread to milk for the coffee at the end; the dining room was not busy but the servers were simply inattentive. I was expecting much better.

1  Thank fred200099
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We were fortunate to stop and have lunch at the Greystone Restaurant, part of the Culinary Institute of America, on one of our trips to Napa. What a pleasant surprise! We ordered a wine flight along with our lunch and thoroughly enjoyed every bite. When eating there's a full view of the kitchen and we were able to watch the instructors and students prepare meals for the restaurant patrons. A truly enjoyable experience!!

1  Thank Bonnie M
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Students need to practice on someone and this is a great place. Wonderful wine, fabulous food and a spectacular view.