“Total enjoyment!”
Review of Goose & Gander

Goose & Gander
Reserve with OpenTable
Goose & Gander is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 51 Restaurants in St. Helena
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Goose & Gander is a charming restaurant in St. Helena, located in Walter Martini's historic 1920 bungalow. Lunch & Dinner is served daily in the basement bar, the dining room, & in the garden. Goose & Gander is a wine country public house and a local favorite, as well as the perfect spot to host events up to 100 people.
Reviewed February 22, 2014

After having a somewhat disappointing evening at Press the night before, we made a reservation at Goose and Gander on the recommendation of several locals and were not disappointed! The food was excellent and the service was attentive and helpful. The decor was very warm and cozy and we felt right at home. We split the grilled dates stuffed with Gorgonzola and both had the mushroom soup, which was the best I have ever had anywhere! I had the seared scallops which were perfectly cooked and my husband had the Scottish salmon which was equally good. We will definitely return to this delightful restaurant!

1  Thank jacqueet

Reviewed February 22, 2014

A last minute Saturday night reservation for 8:00; found this place on Open Table. We had been before when it was the Martini House. We arrived and the place was packed both the dining area and bar area (it was a busy Valentine's/President's Day Weekend).

We were however seated in about 5 minutes time which was great. The menu was great - it really covers price ranges from $$ to $$$. We had a hard time deciding between their delectable hamburger with duck fat fries or go for the salmon. I finally decided on the salmon - and it was one of the best salmon I have ever had in the restaurant. The vegetables paired with the salmon; the attention to textures to be tasted were all amazing! The person I was with enjoyed hanger Steak (large enough to take home for another meal later in the week.). Fantastic food.

Service was good for being so busy - while we watched the kitchen from our table (fun to watch); we ordered their warm olive and pistachios to share while waiting for our main course. This combination was good! although I rarely have had warm olives before they were great.

We also ordered dessert to share (a walnut type pie with ice cream) and it was quite tasty.

This place is energetic - however, it was great that we could still talk and hear each other at the table.

We parked at the public lot close by to the restaurant.

Overall, we enjoyed the place and have put it on our list of places to return to.

1  Thank mini
Reviewed February 19, 2014

My friend found this restaurant online from southern California and choose it as the spot to celebrate his 25th wedding annaversary with his lovely wife. He brought his whole family up with them and picked us up in Santa Rosa to spend the night in the Napa Valley. I had eaten at this location several years ago under another name and while it was good, it was not what I would have picked for a celebration. Long story short, the internet was good to my friend and his wife and indeed the rest of our party. First of all we were lucky enough to be seated with Thomas as our server. He was extremely enthusiastic and knowledgable about the food and seemed to know just the right adjective to wet our palets. He was also quite entertaining and helped to make this a memorable evening. Of course again I have to say all the banter in the world would not haved surfice if that food was not wonderful. We ordered accross the board with chicken dishes, seafood, pork, steak and hamburgers that were something else, (not to mention the "duck fat fries"). Thank for a great night!

1  Thank Douglas M
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is a MUST stop for a trip to Napa. A historic and cool bar with the greatest cocktails ever. To difficult to explain but trust me you don't want to miss this place and the food/restaurant is very good too!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

First visit since conversion from Martini House, and a real treat. Just a quick but excellent lunch. I have always enjoyed the basement bar as it is such a fun, funky space. There are plenty of excellent bars and talented bartenders in the Valley, but few with anything near G&G's character. Thankfully the Barkeep behind the bar has the deft skill to keep up with the feel of the room. I love that neighbors at the bar were asking for a style of cocktail, and he free formed what appeared to be excellent drinks. The beer list is short, but sturdy and thoughtful and the wine list also efficient yet well thought out.
The joy was in the burger. It was the best I have had in the Valley, and on par with in any in the Bay Area. Perfectly medium rare, excellent beef, spot on grilled bun, and the marrow...damn! The duck fat fries are crispy, and tasty. It's not free at $21 with marrow, but if ever a burger is worth +$20, this is the one.
All in all, a great lunch spot and wonderful space downstairs.
Highly recommended !