“Interesting food, better bar”
Review of Goose & Gander

Goose & Gander
Reserve with OpenTable
Goose & Gander is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 52 Restaurants in St. Helena
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Goose & Gander is a charming restaurant in St. Helena, located in Walter Martini's historic 1920 bungalow. Lunch & Dinner is served daily in the basement bar, the dining room, & in the garden. Goose & Gander is a wine country public house and a local favorite, as well as the perfect spot to host events up to 100 people.
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Happy birthday G&G! We dined as a group on their one year anniversary (unknowingly to us) and received a complimentary glass of champagne. Food is interesting - from fried olives to raw radishes. Burger is huge, prawns are a great choice, & mushroom soup is awesome. Don't go if you're in a hurry. Wine list is great. Basement bar is nice but too small for more than groups of 4. Bartenders are good at what they do if limited in their drink knowledge (a golden Cadillac is not a margarita). Pricing is more than fair for the area. Would go back and would recommend.

Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

For a newer restaurant in the valley they have done a nice job in training their servers and kitchen staff. Sometimes new establishments suffer from inexperienced staff members causing slow service and/or wrong food orders. G&G is doing great.

My compliments to everyone involved with your recent venture. My guest loved their server and their swordfish special!

1  Thank Tom B
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I ate here while traveling in the Napa Valley. Both the exterior and interior decor create a sense of privacy and intimacy. The dining area is dark and quiet, unlike so many other Napa Valley restaurants. We had excellent service and the food was quite good. If you don't want to have dinner here, you can head downstairs to the bar area which is like an old fashioned rathskeller.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I probably wouldn't have discovered this place if it weren't for a friend who brought me here. I loved the clubby, dark woods, fireplace and outdoor space of the restaurant. They offer a nice selection of artisan cocktails and a good wine list. I loved my dish, a delicacy of pork.

1  Thank InternationalGal
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I went here after a recommendation from an employee at Turnbull Winery. I don't think I heard much else about his favorite dishes once he told us Goose & Gander has french fries deep fried in duck fat!
We had dinner reservations somewhere else later in the evening but since we were on vacation we decided we'd indulge. We sat down in the basement bar. Very nice ambiance. Dark and cozy. We ordered some Gorgonzola stuffed dates and of course the Duck fat fries.The dates were a nice combination of sweet and salty. The duck fat fries? Simply the best fries I've eaten. Warm, crispy, not too salty and even though you may think they would be, not greasy. My only question is, Why were they served with ketchup? They certainly did not need anything. I read a review where someone stated that they thought the fries were just okay and that they tasted like fries deep fried in vegetable oil. I can only say that if you can't tell the difference, then something is wrong with your taste buds and you shouldn't be wasting your time eating at quality restaurants.
Because of the tasty fries and dates, we returned a couple of days later to eat lunch. This time we sat in the cozy dining room and ordered and shared the Smoked Corn Croquettes, Braised Pork Shoulder-(Choucroute of Brussels sprouts & sauerkraut, bacon, pinenuts, & apple~celery salad), both appetizers and the The G&G Burger (Grass fed beef, gruyere cheese, house smoked bacon, & duck fat fries).
The croquettes were yummy, the braised pork shoulder was fall apart tender and tasty, but the burger stole the show. The meat was flavorful and the bun was wonderfully soft but didn't fall apart. Our server was prompt and very nice. He made some good wine recommendations and let us sample wine and beer.
We will absolutely return on our next trip to the Napa Valley!

1  Thank 73Lulu79